Recommendation for boat shoe

SCFD rtrd.

A couple years ago, I bought a "boat shoe" made by Crocs and they were great. I liked them so much, I bought a second pair and stored them away. Well, after about a year the soles of the shoes became very slick. They still had plenty of tread because I only wore them in the boat.  But they were dangerously slippery. I started wearing the back-up pair and tried everything to remove the slipperiness from the original shoe soles. I tried mineral sprits, Acetone, Dawn dishwashing detergent. But nothing worked. I finally ground some of the rubber off with a grinding wheel and a wire brush and that helped, but still not suitable for wearing in the boat. 

I use Starbright deck cleaner about every other fishing trip and Woody's Wax about every three months. My only conclusion is maybe the soles absorbed some wax or chemical  from using these products. Can anyone recommend a good boat shoe and have you worn them long enough to recommend them?

Crocs can be deadly when the tread becomes bald……I nearly blew my knee out once wearing them.  It was raining and ran in from the driveway into my garage……slip- I was like in a cartoon stepping on a banana peel.  I’m currently wearing Columbia Tamiami boat shoes.  I like them so far.

I have several pairs of Soft Science shoes.  They are very comfortable and “cushiony”… very similar to Crocs.  They have been holding up great over the years.  I just recently bought a pair of Olukai shoes… not as “cushiony” as the Soft Science but they are still pretty comfortable 

11 hours ago, wthree3 said:

Keen Newport H2 are the most comfortable shoe out there and they last forever. 

I'm a big fan of the Keen's as well.  There has to be at least 3" of snow on the ground for me to wear something else to walk the dog.  The CNXs are awesome but I do not recommend the CNX IIs.  Great shoes 

1 hour ago, Seacraft06 said:

I love my Olukais. They are not cheap but are saving my back. 

https://olukai.com/products/moku-pae-mens-shoes-trench-blue-off-white?variant=33289514811491

I've been wearing this exact shoe for a year now and they're awesome with no sign of failing in anyway. I wear them all day including when I hop out of the boat in shallow water. My only complaint is they get pretty rank. I wash them with warm soap and water and use baking soda when needed.  I'm wondering if there is something better or even a preventative option?

😂

Funny you say that (or not)!  I just purchased my third pair of these. I have to rotate through them because they eventually smell so bad. I’ve spent more time trying to keep the smell at bay on these shoes than all others I’ve owed in my lifetime. 

The only reason I keep going back is because they’re so comfortable and a great boat shoe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HenrysCreek said:

😂

Funny you say that (or not)!  I just purchased my third pair of these. I have to rotate through them because they eventually smell so bad. I’ve spent more time trying to keep the smell at bay on these shoes than all others I’ve owed in my lifetime. 

The only reason I keep going back is because they’re so comfortable and a great boat shoe.

Tell me about it!! It's the main reason I'm following this thread.:( Literally the only negative I have with the Olukai and why I'm afraid to recommend their shoe. I prefer a low enclosed sneaker or deck type shoe for sun protection and it being cooler than a boot style shoe. I'm thinking of trying the Simms Air vent shoe, unless I learn of other options.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 8:50 AM, rckeat said:

I'm a big fan of the Keen's as well.  There has to be at least 3" of snow on the ground for me to wear something else to walk the dog.  The CNXs are awesome but I do not recommend the CNX IIs.  Great shoes 

I sure like the closed toe and lots of ventilation. Is there any "STANK" associated with Keen's like the Olukai brand????

3 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I sure like the closed toe and lots of ventilation. Is there any "STANK" associated with Keen's like the Olukai brand????

Yes, unfortunately no shortage of stank with the Keen's.  Not sure it's unique to certain brand, maybe more of a saltwater / barefoot /sweat thing. Regular wash in the utility sink keeps it under control.  

The closed toe is nice. Love them for camping.also....great protection when trudging through streams, rafting, kayaking, etc.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, searing said:

I've been wearing this exact shoe for a year now and they're awesome with no sign of failing in anyway. I wear them all day including when I hop out of the boat in shallow water. My only complaint is they get pretty rank. I wash them with warm soap and water and use baking soda when needed.  I'm wondering if there is something better or even a preventative option?

The guys on a spearfishing show I've watched on The Outdoor Channel promote a product called "Odoban Dive".  They dip all their gear (wetsuits) in this solution after every dive trip and don't rinse afterward.  It might be worth a try...

https://odobandive.com/

...or maybe one of these other products:

https://odoban.com/

Note:  I personally have not used these products

I’m normally a Olu Kai flip flop on the boat guy. If I’m not in flip flops, I wear xtratuf boots. I’ve gone through several pairs and I’m currently wearing the Wheelhouse version (which are a little heavier). I’ve been happy with them, but I also realize that they aren’t for everybody.