Recommendation for boat shoe

SCFD rtrd.

As mentioned, I go barefoot on the boat. However when I am not working I wear flip flops all the time and have been in the search of a perfect pair. Came across this article that may help some of you in your decision because we all know that when a shoe or sandal gets wet they slip.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/fashion/best-waterproof-sandals

On 8/1/2023 at 8:17 PM, wthree3 said:

Yes, unfortunately no shortage of stank with the Keen's.  Not sure it's unique to certain brand, maybe more of a saltwater / barefoot /sweat thing. Regular wash in the utility sink keeps it under control.  

The closed toe is nice. Love them for camping.also....great protection when trudging through streams, rafting, kayaking, etc.

I bought a pair of the CNX IIs, and I couldn't stand to be in the same room with them because they stank so bad.  Nothing fixed it - washing in the washing machine, spraying with vinegar, burying them for a month in a shoe box full of baking soda, leaving them in the sun outside.  Nothing.

I have had 3 pairs of the regular CNX Keens and have never had a problem with them smelling.  Maybe I got fluke pair with the CNX IIs but who knows.

Awesome sandles and they are on my feet right now.

I have a pair of Olukai shoes as I mentioned before that get pretty rank. Covering them with baking soda then washing with warm water and dawn soap has helped but doesn’t last long. I’ve also used a shoe odor product called 10 seconds that seems to work good for a short time as well but just a thought, has anyone tried the bacteria cleaners like Oxy clean and pet odor removers? 

5 hours ago, mxf255 said:

I use the Lysol laundry sanitizer on gym/work clothes, shoes, and flip flops. I use it whenever I’m washing these things. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the results. 

IMG_8520.jpeg

I will try this with my CNX IIs, but I'd wager it's not going to eradicate the smell.  But I will find out!

Time (again) for new shoes.  Reading all this, from slippery soles to stinky - ALL TRUE.   Alone or fishing, I'm 99% barefoot.  But running to the store or more often meeting people to show them a boat (part time broker) - I have to wear shoes and be presentable.  

Last 5 years or so been wearing Tucket (US made, think CEO is ex-Crok guy).  Rubber shoes, holes drain, look like traditional boat shoes.  Only come in full sizes (no half size), they run small, NOT to size.  Yes, they can get the stink - into the washing machine, but -  andas the soles wear they can get slick too.  Still, I've probably had 10 pairs over 5 years (different colors) and worn them out.  My wife hates them, but then again she doesn't like my fishing shorts either :)    

So trying to decide if I get new Tuckets, go back to Keene (I liked them), had Okuli for walking and loved (but couldnt find again).  Thanks for suggesstions folks.