Gettin outta Dodge

THE OUTLAW

Been down here in FLL , since 66.

I do not even want to start the lengthy list of great reasons to get out , but my biggest hurdle I have now, is that , with my wife being 100% disabled, I really am struggling to get by down here .

SS DISABILITY is a JOKE and have had to hire an attorney, and even at that , it is going to be 12-24 months .

I am tired of South FL .

Where yall running to , and do you want a really cool new neighbor ?

Thanks in advance

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Depends a lot on what you want, I prefer peace and quiet. Eastern North Carolina is relatively low coat of living, lots of water, decent weather and not too crowded (at least some areas). But it also is one of the highest incident rate areas for hurricanes. It does get cold in the winter at times and jobs are somewhat scarce in the lower population areas. Crime is low and there are some nice little towns with lots of character.

Check out towndock.net for news on Oriental, NC, sailing capital of NC, roughly 3,000 sail boats in the area. Town is about 1,000 people, Pamlico County is big and only 14,000 people. New Bern is also a neat town. Oriental has multiple live music venues, a brewery, 5 sizable marinas. The marina in the main part of town is a working commercial fishing marina with a fish house. For your line of work, with all the boats in the area, you likely would do well.

Other places that interest me are Beaufort, SC and Charleston, SC. Not on the coast, but Aiken, SC consistently is noted for a great place to live.

• Like 1

The South Carolina and North Carolina coast have a lot to offer, just don't  expect to  live  on the water cheaply. 

Access to the water is not a problem. 

Job opportunities for welding are unlimited,  especially  around  Charleston.  Health care in Charleston is very good with MUSC there. For tough situations Duke medical is within  reasonable distance. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

The South Carolina and North Carolina coast have a lot to offer, just don't  expect to  live  on the water cheaply. 

Access to the water is not a problem. 

Job opportunities for welding are unlimited,  especially  around  Charleston.  Health care in Charleston is very good with MUSC there. For tough situations Duke medical is within  reasonable distance. 

Medical is a concern. We have a house southwest of Raleigh (Holly Springs) and one in Oriental. Having Duke and UNC, both great medical centers, 20-35 minutes away is nice. Greenville, ECU, is about an hour from Oriental.

Unfortunately my wife is currently going through chemo and radiation treatments at Duke, stage 4 lung and liver cancer, some things in life do ***.

• Like 3

Ormond Beach is still pretty nice for us. Good doctors, local Advent hospital plus Shands and Mayo an hour away. You can get to the lagoon in 30-45 minutes or just fish the river and inlet locally. We have bike week and NASCAR stuff but 80% of it is in Daytona. Close to it but not in it. Plenty of work for you here.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s health condition Ralph. I pray your situation gets better.

All I can say is stay away from Naples/Marco Island it is expensive AF!!!! $$$$$

It’s really beautiful here but the housing market is out of control, home owners insurance is out of control, flood insurance is out of control, and property taxes are out of control, and the health care stinks!

• Like 1

Not surprised. A lot of people who grew up in S FL  have become so fed up with the changes in south Florida. Lived in Miami in the 80s. Miami was a great place to live. After Hurricane Andrew , many negative changes.  When I first moved to SW Florida this was such a sleepy little place. Now one of the most sought after places to live. Seems like everyone wants a to live in FL. 
Lap it up mentioned the Big Bend area. Lots of good fishing and outdoor activities to be had in that region. Land $ fairly reasonable.  I am sure that’s quickly changing though  

North Carolina intrigues me. Good saltwater fishing and the mountains out west. I love the Everglades though.

Good Luck. 

36 minutes ago, SW Skif said:

Not surprised. A lot of people who grew up in S FL  have become so fed up with the changes in south Florida. Lived in Miami in the 80s. Miami was a great place to live. After Hurricane Andrew , many negative changes.  When I first moved to SW Florida this was such a sleepy little place. Now one of the most sought after places to live. Seems like everyone wants a to live in FL. 
Lap it up mentioned the Big Bend area. Lots of good fishing and outdoor activities to be had in that region. Land $ fairly reasonable.  I am sure that’s quickly changing though  

North Carolina intrigues me. Good saltwater fishing and the mountains out west. I love the Everglades though.

Good Luck. 

I grew up in south Fl from 1955 then After Andrew the crime, crowds, and cost of living drove me out . Moved to Valrico central west Fl had a great 25 years in this area but this peaceful area is getting like south Fl was in the 80’s . Got so bad I sold my HPX 6 months ago . I am going to move one more time in my life being retired I don’t need to move to an area with jobs looking for a quiet peaceful area with Drs and hospitals in the area. Will sell in the next couple years .Looking at the cocoa area or pan handle area not ruling out Ga or Bama .  Joe R 

• Like 1

The coast of SC is getting  so crowded with  people from the north that a couple raised here can't  afford to  even get a  start. 

They come south wanting to get away from the bs back home but forget to wipe their butt and bring it with them.

If you say we did it this way back home then go back home.

Not the story with all but enough to aggravate and mess up politics and religion. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:18 AM, smilemaker said:

The coast of SC is getting  so crowded with  people from the north that a couple raised here can't  afford to  even get a  start. 

They come south wanting to get away from the bs back home but forget to wipe their butt and bring it with them.

If you say we did it this way back home then go back home.

Not the story with all but enough to aggravate and mess up politics and religion. 

Happening here in Georgia too. Nothing but OH, NJ, NY, MI residents showing up here, with the occasional Californian. They have made buying a house here impossible for everyone that is a "native" or long time local. My new neighbor is from Cali. She bought my old neighbor's house for over double what it was worth before Covid. Then she bought another home for her son to move here too. I got in line behind a woman in the grocery store last weekend and she was arguing about the price of her sodas and why she couldn't purchase alcohol (it was Sunday morning before 12:30 pm sales time). She wouldn't let up on the cashier. I stepped in and informed her that the cashier was correct about the alcohol sales, and her sodas were full price because she didn't have her Kroger Rewards card. She looked at us both and said (I kid you not) - "I'm from New Hampshire. We don't have Krogers and I've never heard of not buying alcohol on Sunday". I had to bite my tongue........

NCTribute is dead on.  

On 10/9/2023 at 10:59 AM, NCTribute said:

Depends a lot on what you want, I prefer peace and quiet. Eastern North Carolina is relatively low coat of living, lots of water, decent weather and not too crowded (at least some areas). But it also is one of the highest incident rate areas for hurricanes. It does get cold in the winter at times and jobs are somewhat scarce in the lower population areas. Crime is low and there are some nice little towns with lots of character.

Check out towndock.net for news on Oriental, NC, sailing capital of NC, roughly 3,000 sail boats in the area. Town is about 1,000 people, Pamlico County is big and only 14,000 people. New Bern is also a neat town. Oriental has multiple live music venues, a brewery, 5 sizable marinas. The marina in the main part of town is a working commercial fishing marina with a fish house. For your line of work, with all the boats in the area, you likely would do well.

Other places that interest me are Beaufort, SC and Charleston, SC. Not on the coast, but Aiken, SC consistently is noted for a great place to live.

This guy here is onto something.  The Pamlico Sound area is quiet and some great fishing.  WNC is also great up in the mountains.  NGA mountains are awesome.  Know lots of folks from FL that retire in the NGA Mtns and around WNC.  ETN would also be great.  Low cost of living and no state income tax.  lots of water and plenty of bass fishing.  KY is also a very low cost of living but taxed to death here.  However, if you’re looking for SS Bene’s, not hard to get them here.  

Sorry to hear of your wife's health issues and hardship, Ralph.  Both of you are in my prayers.

No place in the Southeast US is safe from the mass-migration that was ignited by the timely pandemic, the lack of security on our wide-open Southern Border, and the utter breakdown of leadership, law & order and equal justice in most major cities around the Nation and in DC.  Florida led the way during COVID without lock-downs and kept commerce rolling.  Now the rest of us in The Carolinas, TN, GA, and TX are being overrun with transplants in search of "normalcy".  It's changing The South rapidly and we're not prepared for it.  Roads are clogged with traffic all day every day, and new road construction can't keep up.  Housing is fast becoming unaffordable for many.  Crime is on the rise, etc. etc.  Sorry guys - not a pretty picture, so I'm listening for someone to suggest a nice area beyond our borders.  Never thought I'd say that, being born and raised American.

• Like 1