Gettin outta Dodge

THE OUTLAW

On 10/10/2023 at 8:27 AM, polliwog said:

I just read a great  article about Ocala in WSJ and it sounds really interesting,but not close to Gulf or Atlantic,I drive through it every trip down from the NE in Fall and spring. Looks like Kentucky horse racing farm territory.

100% correct. Not to mention that your quite a drive to a hospital 

Cocoa/ Merritt Island - we are full and still growing. Been here 30 years and traffic getting bad.. any empty lot is being built on. Just sold a rental home (on the water) in 2 weeks for way more $ then I thought it was worth.  Fortunately to FL people, but lots of folks from out of state driving up prices (faster than insurance costs if that possible).  And with Fed regulations most everything is catch and release!  That said, a lot of areas are peaceful residential.

Love the Ocala area, though it's growing - but thats fresh water only, got to drive an hour or so each way to reach the coast.   While I'm sure it's growing too, love the panhandle vibe.  Thinking about a place in NC, but wife uses healthcare a lot and doesn't want to move, even for 3 months each summer.  

Where ever you go, please don't leave the forum :)

16 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Looking in Ocala

Hour to Ocean 

Hour to Gulf

no floods

Could be a nice alternative...plus, only 1 hour to Gainesville FLA where there is some light industry....and with your skills, I would think the University system would benefit from a Welder who has stayed at Holiday Inn :).

All the best in your quest....it will take some time.....personally, I'd think a nice Double Wide on 5 acres would be fine for me....the cost of Broward County taxes, etc. is getting out of control...but, my daughter lives 20 min from the house and we spend a lot of time with her....so, no change for a while.

DC

• Like 1

Ralph, Prayers to both you and your wife. I think you also opened up a new topic on where all of us would want to move. Mountains, Gulf, Atlantic, etc etc. Yes we all love to fish, and most of us still hunt. But Florida isn’t Florida anymore. Unaffordable housing, Cost of Living, Property Tax increasing. And for those that can find home owners insurance. Gone are the days of early years where crime was low. Neighbors were neighbors. Community cook outs. I truly miss those days.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

David, you hit on the head of the nail....

I think we should buy 1,000 acres somewhere near the water and create a MGB Forum community for like minded fisherman and hunters....like the Villages in Central Florida....like minded sportsman who would protect each other and share secret spots (LOL).....we could elect Ralph as the President because he has the most secret spots the he should share :)DC

Lots of land over in CFL.  Polk, Highlands, Glades...  I'd be happy with a place on one of the lakes.  An hour from either coast.  Wild game.  Freshwater fishing.  Spent a lot of time in Lake Wales area.  Some fantastic smaller lakes with houses on the water.  

The exodus from major city's across the country is effecting many areas, east coast as the folks in Florida well know are setting there in droves escaping the madness, the most affluent jump ship first, what politics they bring with them time will tell, the places that have maintained law and order folks are flocking there, we’re suffering the same inSt Tammany parish with folks leaving the south shore like Orleans parish, infrastructure like roads have have been overwhelmed at certain times of the day, Insurance cost is sky high the closer you are to water, outside of flood protection good luck. The folks I feel for the most are the elderly and young folks owning a home with kids doing the right things starting to lose it due inflation and insurance cost

• Like 3

South Carolina is full as well. Yankee invasion is out of control. I’d be looking somewhere south of Winter Haven. Tons of lakes to fish and duck hunt. Hour ride to Tampa Bay or Sarasota Bay for the salt fix. Still a reasonable ride down to the glades for a weekend. I do love the panhandle as well. At least most tourist in the panhandle are from Alabama and Tennessee. Way better than the Ohio and Tri- state tourist we get up here in SC. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 5:51 AM, THE OUTLAW said:

Thanks bro !

I have a second home in Sebastian , may consider not selling it and upgrading it , to fit my OCD standards .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Hey there young man! I have been looking in the Sebastian and Micco area! My wife and I like that area and its not too far from South Florida. My daughter is also a first responder and my wife insists we  must be less than 2 hours from her. 

We both like the Sebastian area. I enjoy the inshore and off shore fishing nearby. And my daughter and her fiancé (Also a Firefighter/Paramedic)  like to surf at the inlet. 

Do you have any negative thoughts about that area that I have yet to experience? 

Bubba

12 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Well done Bubba....congrats to your daughter and thank her for me for her service....hard to be in this business in current times !!!

Hard to believe so much time has gone by....I remember her as a little minion out fishing you....seems like only yesterday !!!

dc

Yeah! But she is smarter  than daddy...She decided to go the firefighter /paramedic route.... That being said, the Sebastian area is looking really good for us. Hoping the Outlaw finds his perfect place. 

Bubba B

On 10/21/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bubba B said:

Hey there young man! I have been looking in the Sebastian and Micco area! My wife and I like that area and its not too far from South Florida. My daughter is also a first responder and my wife insists we  must be less than 2 hours from her. 

We both like the Sebastian area. I enjoy the inshore and off shore fishing nearby. And my daughter and her fiancé (Also a Firefighter/Paramedic)  like to surf at the inlet. 

Do you have any negative thoughts about that area that I have yet to experience? 

Bubba

I have no negative thoughts on that area at all .

Been going there for 50 years .

It is growing up fast though .

My moms house there is beautiful, but I do not think I could live there though.

Just a stones throw from Micco

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 7:54 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

I have no negative thoughts on that area at all .

Been going there for 50 years .

It is growing up fast though .

My moms house there is beautiful, but I do not think I could live there though.

Just a stones throw from Micco

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Thank you sir! We will be going up in the near future to nose around the area a bit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 4:53 PM, rubble said:

NCTribute is dead on.  

This guy here is onto something.  The Pamlico Sound area is quiet and some great fishing.  WNC is also great up in the mountains.  NGA mountains are awesome.  Know lots of folks from FL that retire in the NGA Mtns and around WNC.  ETN would also be great.  Low cost of living and no state income tax.  lots of water and plenty of bass fishing.  KY is also a very low cost of living but taxed to death here.  However, if you’re looking for SS Bene’s, not hard to get them here.  

SC is also a great place to live....been here for 15 years now, very happy...