VHF In Flamingo ENP

Joe Crato

Question? Before I go cutting into my console does anyone have sold information that a VHF radio will work down in Flamingo? Back in the day we rigged a long antenna wire to zip tie to our poles if we had an emergency south of Chokoloskee. Wondering if that type of rig will get me reception down in Flamingo incase of an emergency. I run from Islamorada to Flamingo and would hate to be stranded. 

TIA

5 hours ago, Joe Crato said:

Question? Before I go cutting into my console does anyone have sold information that a VHF radio will work down in Flamingo? Back in the day we rigged a long antenna wire to zip tie to our poles if we had an emergency south of Chokoloskee. Wondering if that type of rig will get me reception down in Flamingo incase of an emergency. I run from Islamorada to Flamingo and would hate to be stranded. 

TIA

Joe,

I struggle with this all the time....

I have a HPS 23 with a T-Top and an ICOM and found that for the most part I only use it offshore....

When I had my RF18, yes, like you, I would zip tie a extension wire on my hand-held and rigged up my on board battery to attach....with a 21 foot push pole, I could reach Naples/Marco SEATOW from out front....I struggled when back in rivers, etc...

The only way to be absolutely safe is with a SAT phone....I have one with the minimal service which is about $40 a month...I have my Capt's License and Business so for me, it's an expense...but, even before this, I have ALWAYS HAD A SAT PHONE...an alternative is a Delorme OR SPOT communicator, about $25 or so a month that will allow you to text and email and it will track you at all times when you initiative this option...so, if you do breakdown, everyone knows where you are when you send an alert....

For me, I'll give up my morning Starbucks Coffee once a week and keep the SAT Phone....I test it ever week or so (call myself) and always before heading out on the water....it's just peace of mind.......I also carry an EPIRB in the event of a catastrophic life threating event....

BTW, during a hurricane that hits the keys or other areas....cell towers go down and the SAT Phone is the only communication you might have...I have also taken mine on trips to remote areas of Brazil, Chile, and Central America.....

Hope this helps....

DC

7 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Joe,

I struggle with this all the time....

I have a HPS 23 with a T-Top and an ICOM and found that for the most part I only use it offshore....

When I had my RF18, yes, like you, I would zip tie a extension wire on my hand-held and rigged up my on board battery to attach....with a 21 foot push pole, I could reach Naples/Marco SEATOW from out front....I struggled when back in rivers, etc...

The only way to be absolutely safe is with a SAT phone....I have one with the minimal service which is about $40 a month...I have my Capt's License and Business so for me, it's an expense...but, even before this, I have ALWAYS HAD A SAT PHONE...an alternative is a Delorme OR SPOT communicator, about $25 or so a month that will allow you to text and email and it will track you at all times when you initiative this option...so, if you do breakdown, everyone knows where you are when you send an alert....

For me, I'll give up my morning Starbucks Coffee once a week and keep the SAT Phone....I test it ever week or so (call myself) and always before heading out on the water....it's just peace of mind.......I also carry an EPIRB in the event of a catastrophic life threating event....

BTW, during a hurricane that hits the keys or other areas....cell towers go down and the SAT Phone is the only communication you might have...I have also taken mine on trips to remote areas of Brazil, Chile, and Central America.....

Hope this helps....

DC

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to know and more! I can definitely find something to give up to afford a SAT Phone. 

I’ve had the same concern when I’m over 40 miles offshore of St George Island.  For the last couple of years I’ve carried a Garmin In Reach, so I can text to Sea Tow in case of a breakdown.  The unit cost me $350 plus a $13 monthly subscription fee.

I'm am very close to canceling my subscription and upgrading my iPhone to a 14 or 15.  Because you can satellite text when a cell tower is not available for free.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Waterman18 said:

I don't think I'd rely on the IPhone Satellite. I carry an Inreach also and have used it to text back and forth. It Bluetooths to your phone and you use an App to send and receive . Vey reliable . 

Please elaborate on why not rely on the iPhone satellite.  I think it’s STARLINK.

Just checked out the STARLINK .

Sounds like it could have potential, for the future.

Right now , it’s only available on T Mobile .

I have the Bluetooth  SPOT , it links , to your phone , and you use your phone , to text anybody , anywhere .

The SPOT just basically becomes your antenna.

My buddy has the In Reach, and I think It is a little faster but other than that , the SPOT has been there for me .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 2

As crazy as it may sound, I've picked up cell service at the Rogers River Bay Chickee.  Heard my phone chirping out on the boat one night and looked to find that I was receiving texts.  I had 1 to 2 bars.  Was a clear and calm night.  Had spotty reception during the day but apparently there is cell signal out there.  Not sure if it was coming from Homestead, Choko or maybe up on 41 around Miccosukee Village?  Another option might be to get a cell booster like the Wilson Amplifiers.  https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/vehicle  We used to fish out of a fish camp on Lake Tiger between Lake Wales and River Ranch.  There was rarely a cell signal out there but we could get plenty of signal using the booster.  Also used it in the mountains in KY for work.  I was impressed with it but those things only lasted a few years and they aren't cheap.  Plus, they are bulky as they have to have a cord to power, the booster, Antenna (w/ cord) and the phone receiver (w cord).  Considering price and all of those items, Sat Phone sure seems appealing.    

• Like 1

I have a friend who has  garmin echomap ultra gps, said he has the active captain app and texts via the gps Satellite and WiFi in the garmin unit. I know he's sent me pics from areas he's had no cell service before...

not sure the whole setup, but could be another option if you're already using a [newer] Garmin.

Its kinda sad that with all the technology out there that there is no optional package for a cell phone to work off satellite.  Im sure outdoors folks would pay for it.  Part of me likes the "off the grid" adventure but then there's also the safety factor if you got stuck in the Glades or had some kind of medical emergency.  Sat phone at least for now is the best thing overall in my humble opinion.  Of course I've never owned one.......lol.😁

3 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

I just traded in my iPhone 12 for a iPhone 15.  I canceled my $13 a month subscription on my Inreach.  I’m looking forward to run offshore Thanksgiving weekend to catch some red snapper and send a few texts to my friends. 

Please elaborate on this ?

I have researched this and can only use satellite  for SOS .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️