18 Master Angler 1992 Restoration

HoneyB

I thought I would start a thread on my 1992 MA restoration. There are some fine examples of restorations on this site. I can only hope my little rehab will be as nice. The boat was in a state of a mild rehab when I bought it. Once I got the boat home I went straight into complete tear down mode. I planned to pull the cap to inspect the stringers and replace the fuel tank at a minimum. 
 Before pulling the cap I found the floor seemed soft in one spot. After pulling the cap I found the stringer in that area seemed to not be quite full of foam and would give from the top. I have not cut it open as of yet. The rest of the stringers look to be fine. No cracks no delimitation with the sole of the boat. I currently have the boat flipped to work on all the oyster rash. The plan is to paint the hull before I flip it to work on the inside of the hull. 
 I wanted to buy a newer console that some other guys have used in project hulls but I think my price was double what some guys were seeing a couple of years ago so I am going to make a few changes to my MA console and hope it works out well. 
 I wanted to wait for more in depth work to start this thread but realized how I was amassing pictures at an alarming rate. 
 Please feel free to comment and offer thought’s or ideas as I move along.

71683199723__865C95EE-6D92-4E66-9A12-8E7AB0D75270.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg

• Like 2

Pulling the cap. I should have not cut the nose off. There is not a lot of information out there on the method but I would have been better to cut the floor and then pull the entire cap. What I found out was there was quite a bit of glass between the front of the cockpit and the cap.. lifting the rest of the cap was simple.  

IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

• Like 4

I mentioned that I wanted to freshen up the console a bit. The weather turned wet and gray so I decided to start mocking up the console. Hopefully I do not turn a nice console into a large pile of fiberglass scraps. 
The top of the console mock up is shorter that the height of my top mounted Gps on my Hewes. So I am thinking total height the same with flush mounted electronics. 

IMG_0118.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

Oh jeez, I just found my new favorite thread.   Honey B, this is going to be a fun one to watch.   Curious, if you get a sec, would love to hear more about how you would have pulled that cap knowing what you know now.   Are you saying you would have pulled it in one piece?   Or would you have cut the floor out and pulled it out in those two pieces?  

Inquiring minds. . . . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Curious, if you get a sec, would love to hear more about how you would have pulled that cap knowing what you know now.   Are you saying you would have pulled it in one piece?   Or would you have cut the floor out and pulled it out in those two pieces?  

Inquiring minds. . . . 

In searching other restorations I obviously found where the back deck was cut and removed. That seemed like a lot of glass work to put it back together. Another thread I found suggested just cutting the floor out to get to the stringers. My fuel tank was installed more forward I think in the newer MA boats it was shifted back to more mid ship. 
 The floor of my boat had a lot of holes drilled around and inside the console. It was also soft in one area beside the console. Knowing I planned to replace the floor I had already decided to cut the floor out. I thought I could lift the cap off leaving the shell of the cockpit. That is why I started trying to lift it from the front. I cut the front section still not knowing how I planed to get the back deck up. I decided to just pull on the back deck and found that with the floor cut out the cockpit shell came right up with the cap. 
 In hindsight I think  I could have cut the floor out and lifted the whole cap in one piece. I did cut some holes in a couple of the boxes where the cap was attached to the pods of fiberglass that the boat was set down on when the hull was joined. 
 As you can see in the picture all the foam that was pumped came out with the cap. It should make a nice snug fit when I rejoin the two pieces. I will figure a way to get a bond between the foam and outer skin when I put them back together. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

BTW, what kind of condition was the fuel tank in that boat?

The tank was in good shape for a 30 year old tank. I had to drill the head off of three of the screw on the sending unit to get it off. The actual sending unit was broken inside the tank and the float portion is still in the tank. The aluminum had some pitting but would have likely lasted several more years with nothing don’t to the tank. It was very tempting to clean it and powdercoat it. My oldest son came over and when he  looked at the tank he said “ whatcha gonna do with it?”. I said I’m Going to buy a tank before I talk myself into not buying one!  He laughed and said it looks pretty  good didn’t it! I did not pull the entire boat apart to put the 30 year old tank back into the boat. 

71788484177__3EC814A4-2C96-46E3-AAD1-BBA5F2BA07DE.jpeg

71788482526__DF623753-E9E8-4D78-94F9-4C4B04CCF8EB.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HoneyB said:

He laughed and said it looks pretty  good didn’t it! I did not pull the entire boat apart to put the 30 year old tank back into the boat. 

good decision :)

Mine on the MA17 Holy Ghost was 27 years old....not leaking, but, developing some pin holes...it just takes one small pin hole and you have a disaster...

my advice is if you have the room, you can add a few more gallons by adding an inch to all the sides....it' amazing how just that little bit gives you a bit more range...

Enjoy the re-build....there are many days I wish I had kept the the Ghost MA17...but, she's in a good home...

dc

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HoneyB said:

The tank was in good shape for a 30 year old tank. I had to drill the head off of three of the screw on the sending unit to get it off. The actual sending unit was broken inside the tank and the float portion is still in the tank. The aluminum had some pitting but would have likely lasted several more years with nothing don’t to the tank. It was very tempting to clean it and powdercoat it. My oldest son came over and when he  looked at the tank he said “ whatcha gonna do with it?”. I said I’m Going to buy a tank before I talk myself into not buying one!  He laughed and said it looks pretty  good didn’t it! I did not pull the entire boat apart to put the 30 year old tank back into the boat. 

71788484177__3EC814A4-2C96-46E3-AAD1-BBA5F2BA07DE.jpeg

71788482526__DF623753-E9E8-4D78-94F9-4C4B04CCF8EB.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

Cudos to how MBG used to install tanks.  Minimal to no foam to allow water rot and good aluminum. I feel for the folks buying these new boats.  They just don’t do it the same anymore.  

• Like 1

Just an odd-ball thought/question, but wouldn't it be "best practice", since aluminum fuel tanks always have stainless hardware attached to them, to bond the tank to a zinc anode in contact with the salty sea?  Seems to me, that would seriously quiet-down the galvanic action between the two dissimilar metals and stop the corrosive pitting.

• 2 weeks later...