18 Master Angler 1992 Restoration

HoneyB

• 1 month later...

Well it’s still to cold to prime and paint the hull so I managed to get the cap in the barn. I picked up some furniture dolly’s at the Harbor Freight to set it up on. I got her all shimmed up and used some wood blocks behind the rub rail area to get some screws in to hold it for glassing. As I’m sure everyone that starts a project wishes it would go faster I just keep plunking away. The cap does look awfully sexy though.

IMG_0314.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0318.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 5:07 AM, whichwaysup said:

If I could ever find a wood carver talented enough, I would love to get a model made of mine.  I could literally stare at those lines all day.  Not sure why they are so striking, but with a two tone hull they just pop. 

See if Chris Morejohn would help you out. He has been designing skiffs forever (original Hells Bay designer, etc.). 

https://www.instagram.com/chrismorejohn/

17 hours ago, MA18Colorado said:

Here is a link to pics of my 1992 MA18 at the Skiff Shop getting the love in 2019.

Only thing left to do is the fuel cell, so it was good to hear that yours was still in pretty good shape. 

Other things to do...maybe a Simrad 9 or 12 with FMT...and upgrade to spot lock Minnkota....and maybe a jack plate...and and and....

I've got a Simrad NSS9 Evo3 for sale in the classified section if you are interested.  Your boat looks great by the way!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Chris is pretty much my hero.  That dude has left quite a legacy. Had not considered him doing a model of my MA!

The trick is getting the specs.

In researching this idea, I came across old school methods, and new school methods, both of which are really fascinating, and so given how deep you tend to go (I have been following your work on your MA), I thought I would pass along what I have found.

Another option might be getting your hull 3D scanned, and then scaling it down to model size, and then having a guy with a CNC router run that file on your favorite wood. If you go that route, I will buy one too! Or, better yet, if you need an investor because you want to go into the boat building business by bringing back the Master Angler hull, let me know.

The following video blew my mind. Read the guy's description of the video as well. He is using the 3D scan to create molds. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok I washed the hull from the sanding dust. I’m going to cover it in the barn now until I can spray the primer. Also laid some glass inside the console to tie in the modified section. Still have a lot of work to do, but every little bit I get done pushes the pebble to the finish line. Don’t look at the lines on the console too hard. I know I have some more layup to do to get it right. 

IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

• Like 3

What a fantastic transition. I wish I had had the ability and the where with all to do something like this to "Sveiks". Even in pieces it looks great and full of promise.

I can't wait to see the finished project.

I have to wonder what "Tarpon Terry" would say if he could see this now? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:36 PM, HoneyB said:

Ok I washed the hull from the sanding dust. I’m going to cover it in the barn now until I can spray the primer. Also laid some glass inside the console to tie in the modified section. Still have a lot of work to do, but every little bit I get done pushes the pebble to the finish line. Don’t look at the lines on the console too hard. I know I have some more layup to do to get it right. 

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

Amazing!  Curious, how long/hours has the console upgrade taken? 

The console is taking some time for sure. I can’t really measure my time as I work on it some, lay some glass and then work on it some more. I’m sure a professional could do it much quicker. I tried to buy a console that others have used but the guy went up on the price 3 times what the first guys paid. And my wife loves sneaking pictures of me when I’m thinking *** over. 

IMG_3045.jpeg