2023 18 Maverick HPX Varis keeps porpoising..

Ler

Hi all! New to this fourm so if this is the wrong channel please let me know!

Recently got a 2023 18 foot Maverick HPX Varis. I love the boat overall! There's just 2 things i'm trying to figure out. I think they may be related to each other. The engine is a 115 yamaha sho 4 stroke.

1. The boat seems to be running slower than it should. I can't get it to go above like 4600 rpms (about 34 knots on gps speed). We got it from the dealership with a 4 blade prop, (just found out it was an 18 pitch). 

2. The boat porpoises like crazy even when trimmed all the way down. I have to run it with trim tabs about half way to 3/4s of the way down to get it to run evenly. 

I currently have a 3 blade 21 pitch power tech stainless prop. I have pictures attached below of the engine mount. Could it be not trimmed down enough? Wrong prop? Figured this group would be a good place to start out with. 

Thanks in advance! 

EDIT 2/23:

Trolling motor has been mounted. Took it out for a test run today with just myself, the trolling motor on the bow, and half a tank of fuel (bow fuel tank). 

I've narrowed it down to a hole-shot issue. The issue stems from getting on plane, as it gets on plane it porposes. 

When i put the trim tabs down to 'even it out' i can put them back up and trim the engine freely. i got it up to about 6000 rpms at about 52 mph. 

So now the issue remains, how can i get it to plane off 'evenly' without trimtabs?

back right engine.jpg

left view engine.jpg

Power Tech Prop.jpg

striaght back engine.jpg

How did the boat run with the 4 blade? 
 You obviously need to go down in pitch. A 19 pitch three blade would likely get you right at or just over 5000 rpm. You may have to go to a 17 pitch to really get you rpm’s moving up. 
  If you bought it from a dealer did they not run the boat with you? I would go back any tell them something is wrong. Maybe they could at least let you run a prop or three. 

4 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

How did the boat run with the 4 blade? 
 You obviously need to go down in pitch. A 19 pitch three blade would likely get you right at or just over 5000 rpm. You may have to go to a 17 pitch to really get you rpm’s moving up. 
  If you bought it from a dealer did they not run the boat with you? I would go back any tell them something is wrong. Maybe they could at least let you run a prop or three. 

I had to work that day so my parents went for the test run. They don't really know much about this stuff and didn't mention the proposing. 

The boat ran kinda the same with the 4 blade. The porpoising was still there and low rpms was still there also. A buddy of mine that lives in the keys and knows a lot about these boats mentioned the 21 pitch so i went with it but probably should've done more research. Do the pictures look like it trims down enough? That's with the engine trimmed all the way down. 

6 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Let, 

Thats a brilliant skiff that just needs to be trimmed properly. I’m sure a member will chime in with the best prop to run on it, in case you did not get a recommended prop. 
MM

The recommended prop the boat came with still had the same issues. The pictures show it trimmed all the way down. I'm wondering if its not trimming down all the way? 

I run a Yamaha Talon SS4 20 pitch and get ~48mph at 6000 with a trolling motor 2 lithium batteries in the bow, a battery in the console and a casting platform.

Was the livewell full? Anything on the boat trolling motor wise? Or weight wise?

5 minutes ago, Tender said:

I run a Yamaha Talon SS4 20 pitch and get ~48mph at 6000 with a trolling motor 2 lithium batteries in the bow, a battery in the console and a casting platform.

Was the livewell full? Anything on the boat trolling motor wise? Or weight wise?

Those pictures were taken in the shop the trolling motor is getting mounted and batteries put in the console so maybe the weight will help a bit 

Take a peek at this thread as it is similar. I think a little bit of weight forward is your friend which is why I have my trolling motor batteries in the bow granting they only weigh as much as a single group 27. Additional weight towards the stern will change things. I'm a fan of a 4 blade stern lifting in the 19-20 pitch range and ran a 3 blade 21 pitch solas that was Ok but I prefer the 4 blade personally. I haven't tried Geviam's Merc Trophy, maybe one day I will.

12 minutes ago, Tender said:

Take a peek at this thread as it is similar. I think a little bit of weight forward is your friend which is why I have my trolling motor batteries in the bow granting they only weigh as much as a single group 27. Additional weight towards the stern will change things. I'm a fan of a 4 blade stern lifting in the 19-20 pitch range and ran a 3 blade 21 pitch solas that was Ok but I prefer the 4 blade personally. I haven't tried Geviam's Merc Trophy, maybe one day I will.

sounds like i'm in the right area of the 3 blade 21 p prop based off what i read. maybe mine is mounted differently

Your engine seems to be mounted all the way down. I honestly do not think that is your problem and if it did go lower the RPM’s would go down further due to the amount of drag on having more foot in the water. If your rpm’s are 4600 the 21 pitch is not what you need.  
 I wouldn’t do anything with motor mounting until the trolling motor and batts are installed. 

I keep looking at your pics. It is difficult to tell but the motor could possibly be raised a hole to get top speed. What it the height of the anti cavitation plate as it relates to the bottom of of the boat? 

8 minutes ago, Ler said:

sounds like i'm in the right area of the 3 blade 21 p prop based off what i read. maybe mine is mounted differently

I mean you're mounted on the lowest hole, which is the same as me. I have a friend mounted one hole up running a 18p 4 blade Talon SS4 with no porpoising issues, compared to my 20p its just a little slower top end but faster out of the hole.

As for the porpoising the only rationale I can come up with based off of the information is a combination of prop and weight distribution. Depending on load I will gain 1000 rpm's and 8-10mph from trimming it out.

8 minutes ago, Tender said:

I mean you're mounted on the lowest hole, which is the same as me. I have a friend mounted one hole up running a 18p 4 blade Talon SS4 with no porpoising issues, compared to my 20p its just a little slower top end but faster out of the hole.

As for the porpoising the only rationale I can come up with based off of the information is a combination of prop and weight distribution. Depending on load I will gain 1000 rpm's and 8-10mph from trimming it out.

That's good to know at least. I'm curious to see how it will ride when the trolling motor is mounted on the bow and the 2 lithium Dakota batteries in the console. I'm really hoping that is going to help. I heard people saying i need to go down in pitch. I read the lower the pitch the less the hole shot you get when getting on plane? I feel like now with the 21 pitch it takes awhile to get on plane. Does that sound right?

7 minutes ago, Tender said:

Yes if quicker holeshot/faster acceleration is your goal going down in pitch should achieve this.

Gotcha. think a 17 should be good? the porposing is pretty bad so i doubt a 19 would make that much of a difference 

I was referring only to the principles of what reducing pitch would do.  Changing pitch in prop but keeping the same style most likely will NOT fix your porpoising issues. I suggest waiting until you have the opportunity to run it with the trolling motor installed. Fill it full of fuel and run it, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of money wrapped up in props that you're not happy with.

4 minutes ago, Tender said:

I was referring only to the principles of what reducing pitch would do.  Changing pitch in prop but keeping the same style most likely will NOT fix your porpoising issues. I suggest waiting until you have the opportunity to run it with the trolling motor installed. Fill it full of fuel and run it, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of money wrapped up in props that you're not happy with.

yea i agree. i definitely want a better hull shot though. 13.5 inch diameter seems kinda low anyways for props so maybe i need another inch or something. I reached out to that dude ken from prop gods to pick his brain also. 

2 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

That 115 foot is not going to take much more diameter if any.  If the weight forward holds the bounce down you can dial in pitch for speed and hole shot. 

gotcha, thanks for the info. Still new to all this so learning along the way! my old boat already had all this stuff dialed in so never had to pay attention to it. 

• Like 1

Although there are a lot of number involved such as pitch diameter wot loa rpm and so on Setting up a boat is not science. It is voodoo magic! Yeah sure every body seems so smart talking about stuff like pitch and rpm. Stern lift and bow lift. But like I said it’s some kind of dark witchcraft that will actually help you find your perfect set up! 🤣🤣🤣

But seriously a little weight forward and less pitch and you will be good to go.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Although there are a lot of number involved such as pitch diameter wot loa rpm and so on Setting up a boat is not science. It is voodoo magic! Yeah sure every body seems so smart talking about stuff like pitch and rpm. Stern lift and bow lift. But like I said it’s some kind of dark witchcraft that will actually help you find your perfect set up! 🤣🤣🤣

But seriously a little weight forward and less pitch and you will be good to go.

appreciate it!

Looked can find 150 sho, hewes 18 calls for 13-1/2 X19 P Maverick 18 calls for 13-1/2X 21 P on #1 hole but boat not being dressed out weight in front like everyone has said finish dressing the boat out, you will need to play with the props after your done fitting the boat, there are folks on here with extensive knowledge on what works on the Mavericks and Hewes boats. 

Just now, George Seither said:

Looked can find 150 sho, hewes 18 calls for 13-1/2 X19 P Maverick 18 calls for 13-1/2X 21 P on #1 hole but boat not being dressed out weight in front like everyone has said finish dressing the boat out, you will need to play with the props after your done fitting the boat, there are folks on here with extensive knowledge on what works on the Mavericks and Hewes boats. 

yea i've been chatting with them. I have the 13.5 x 21 pitch prop like they said with engine mounted on the bottom hole so i guess i just gotta play with the weight

• Moderator changed the title to 2023 18 Maverick HPX Varis keeps porpoising..