Waterway creek between Last Huston and Chevelier

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Another newbie question .

I remove my card .

Send it too you .

You send new card .

I put card in .

FINISHED ?

Or do I have to re delete all the extra information that I believe you were right to do ?

Thanks EGRET !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

It is like you are putting in a new card. Will probably have to go back through the setup instructions. That is what I had to do. Their step by step instructions are in the FAQ page on the website. Fairly simple process. Took me about 5-10 min. I printed the instructions and keep in a Pelican case in the boat just in case there is a hiccup while on the water. 

I skinned up my prop in that exact spot in my HPX micro last year. Came off plane to throw a few casts at that oyster bar to discover the whole area is an oyster bottom. In years past I ran through there in my PF 22 but never came off plane. Now I know to stick to the shore. Gracias!

I stopped in the channel but trolling motored over to and fished the other side of the bar. Def not fishing in the channel. No fish either. All of the scraping sounds when I came off plane probably didn't help.

That might just be the coolest place in the Park (but don't ask Park officials about it... They probably have a different opinion...). Every time a national park is established one of their first items is to buy out or otherwise remove any private structures, etc.  I only have second hand info - but here's what I was told.  When the Park was established in 1948 there were quite a few privately built and maintained camps and other places in that huge area... Slowly but surely the Park dealt with every one of until there's only one left, supposedly owned by a group of legal types that make a point of transferring ownership from person to person (or business to business for all I know...) to frustrate the Parks to get them into court and get an order requiring them to remove it... and so it goes (I was told it's been going on for years now... ).  

Me, I like Stiltsville over in what is now Biscayne National Park and really wish that it had been left in private hands... and also that place in Huston Bay as well in the ENP....  Must be a bit of rebel in me somewhere...  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jh141 said:

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but all you guys seem to be very knowledgeable about this area.

Anyone know what the Red Building built on pilings on the edge of the island in Huston Bay is??

The "fish shack"-- the last and only privately-owned structure in the Park.  I understand from a friend of mine that 4 guys from the Tampa Bay area own it--sort of a limited partnership and split expenses related to upkeep.  He is able to stay there a few times a year--I usually stop by to have a beer or two with him when his Marine Corp flag is flying!

• Like 1

Was there about 20 year ago and it seemed really run down.  Looks to be in good shape now. 

21 hours ago, jh141 said:

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but all you guys seem to be very knowledgeable about this area.

Anyone know what the Red Building built on pilings on the edge of the island in Huston Bay is??

Heard tale that’s Dino’s secret Chickee.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob and Dave.  

I am unfortunately familiar with the process that took a lot of private property in the establishing the Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve.

My Grandfather had procession of many acres of land south of Loop Road. I still have some of the paper work. They spent years "convincing" Him to let the Park Service acquire it. At the time it was the right decision for Him and the family, but I sure would Love to have it today. 

I also grew up with a friend that had a hunting camp His Dad Established out past the 40 mile bend, south of US 41. He used to keep Big Red, his wheel buggy at Monroe Station. A Ton of great memories going out every year with a new battery and getting it running to take to the camp. Spent many weekends out there pretending to hunt, though every once and a while we did kill a hog or two. 

"Rules" kept Him from maintaining it after His Dad Passed away and It was soon gone.

I suspected that "The Fish Shack" was maybe a Biologist camp or the like maintained by the Park. 

Love To hear it is private. Do Not get me wrong, I Love the National Parks, but we must always be vigilant it seems to overreach in the name of the public good.

Thanks for the info Guys!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amen... My urge to spend nights in a camp somewhere - ended about the time I came back from overseas - in 1971...  Who knew that going back to school in Miami (I had never been there before....) would end up with me spending day after day out in wilderness areas of the Everglades more than fifty years later?

PS... the big tarpon are in the 'glades now - we spent hours in them yesterday before finally getting one  to eat the fly at the end of the day.. Just nothing like the 'glades...  Here's the only photo I have (hoping they send me the video clip).... At the time I was busy...

GTJuHl7.jpg

• Like 2