18 Redfisher for Family

jtms

Help sell me on a 18 Redfisher for a fishing and family boat (I'd buy new or newer rig).  I just sold my 16 Hewes because it was getting a little cramped with my wife and our 18 month old.  A 22 Pathfinder with a T Top is perfect, but I only have a 20' slip and I really don't want to give this up because it is in a primo location.   I know it is doable because we had many days on the water in my 16, but curious to hear real world experiences from folks.  If the Pathfinder is THAT much better, I'll give up the slip.  

2 minutes ago, jtms said:

Help sell me on a 18 Redfisher for a fishing and family boat (I'd buy new or newer rig).  I just sold my 16 Hewes because it was getting a little cramped with my wife and our 18 month old.  A 22 Pathfinder with a T Top is perfect, but I only have a 20' slip and I really don't want to give this up because it is in a primo location.   I know it is doable because we had many days on the water in my 16, but curious to hear real world experiences from folks.  If the Pathfinder is THAT much better, I'll give up the slip.  

Give up the slip or go to a 18 Pathy to have it fit...

With a small family, you'll get more enjoyment from a used 22 vs redfisher due to the safety factor of the gunnels..I had a 18 RF.

$ for $, a used 22 will be about the same as a RF!8 and you'll have more time for family growth.

dc

Another option would be a Light Tackle 20 possibly. I don't think you would get as much family friendly options as a pathfinder but it would be a little bit more room and still could fit in a 20' slip most likely. I think the gunnels are a little bit higher than a redfisher but I would still classify it as a fishing boat first.

14 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

There are some nice 19 ft PF's out there also....if you were strictly fishing....Redfisher, but for a mix of family and fishing, hands down the Pathfinder is drier and will be safer with a child. 

This X2.  Or the 20' Pathy as well. I went from a 16' Hewes to 19' Pathy and only thing I felt like I lost was ability to pole, and I felt like I gained a ton. The layout especially the huge beam of pathfinder is a big step up in family boating, crusing, diving and all that...A upgrad up from a 16' to 18' flats boat is really just a step up from a 2 to 3 man fishing boat.  

I was in the exact same spot you are in..

I went from a 16 Hewes bay fisher to a 1810 pathfinder.  It to me is a perfect hybrid of the flats, bay and back country boat. You will have ample room, tows easy and you have the slip.  I found mine on this site and dressed it up nicely. My flats fishing buds thought it was a great boat (who are big critics) and family was super happy...that's my two cents...

24 minutes ago, justfish said:

This X2.  Or the 20' Pathy as well. I went from a 16' Hewes to 19' Pathy and only thing I felt like I lost was ability to pole, and I felt like I gained a ton. The layout especially the huge beam of pathfinder is a big step up in family boating, crusing, diving and all that...A upgrad up from a 16' to 18' flats boat is really just a step up from a 2 to 3 man fishing boat.  

Thanks to all for the input. 

Initially I was looking everywhere for a 1806 or 1900 and didn't see any I was wild about. I want new or newer power and I'm not looking for a project and most of these boats I've seen, given the last year of production, need some tlc and/or have older power. 

Sounds like most don't think the 18 Hewes is much of an upgrade over my 16 from a family perspective. I've looked at other bay boats that are new and the prices are crazy given the quality (or lack thereof).  I know a new 18 Hewes isn't cheap by any means, but at least they are built like a tank. 

1900 are hard to find as they quit makin em in 03.  What about a 20' or is that too long for your slip? Still not as say to find as the 22, but much easier to find with newer power since they made them up to a few years ago

also the cobia bay 19 was same hull as the pathfinder 1900 just modified to accept 4 stroke power.  They made those until a few years ago as well.

I have an 18MA and have had it since my son was about 3 he is now 5, previous to that I had a 22 Pathfinder. I have no trouble feeling safe with him on the boat. He sits on the floor or at the wheel with me when are running.  When we stop to fish or at the sandbar he walks the gunnels like a pro, he always has a life jacket on so if he falls in I'm not too worried. Usually we stop in shallow water with little current. If there was heavy current there would be no gunnel walking.

I think the wide gunnels compared to the tall sides can be safer in some way, unless going offshore. The kids tend to lay on the deck or gunnels and look over, rather than lean over the rail of the Pathfinder. When the lean over they want to touch the water so its a stretch, almost to point of falling out. Of course never underway. Also with the Pathfinder I never liked it when people sat behind the leaning post and I would never let kids sit back there. I want to keep my eye on kids all the time, it could be a long time till I realized they fell out if they are behind the driver. Also I think kids sitting on the leaning post is dangerous. Its very tall compared to sides and one hard turn and its very easy for an unprepared kid to fly off the seat and out the boat.  So that limits seating, but thats just me. If your comfortable get the boat you want.

2 hours ago, justfish said:

1900 are hard to find as they quit makin em in 03.  What about a 20' or is that too long for your slip? Still not as say to find as the 22, but much easier to find with newer power since they made them up to a few years ago

also the cobia bay 19 was same hull as the pathfinder 1900 just modified to accept 4 stroke power.  They made those until a few years ago as well.

20 is too long because I need room for the engine.  If a 20 Pathy would fit, I would be all over this.  I'll check out the 19 Cobia and I didn't realize they made these until recently.  

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

I have an 18MA and have had it since my son was about 3 he is now 5, previous to that I had a 22 Pathfinder. I have no trouble feeling safe with him on the boat. He sits on the floor or at the wheel with me when are running.  When we stop to fish or at the sandbar he walks the gunnels like a pro, he always has a life jacket on so if he falls in I'm not too worried. Usually we stop in shallow water with little current. If there was heavy current there would be no gunnel walking.

I think the wide gunnels compared to the tall sides can be safer in some way, unless going offshore. The kids tend to lay on the deck or gunnels and look over, rather than lean over the rail of the Pathfinder. When the lean over they want to touch the water so its a stretch, almost to point of falling out. Of course never underway. Also with the Pathfinder I never liked it when people sat behind the leaning post and I would never let kids sit back there. I want to keep my eye on kids all the time, it could be a long time till I realized they fell out if they are behind the driver. Also I think kids sitting on the leaning post is dangerous. Its very tall compared to sides and one hard turn and its very easy for an unprepared kid to fly off the seat and out the boat.  So that limits seating, but thats just me. If your comfortable get the boat you want.

You bring up some interesting points and while the Pathfinder is certainly more family friendly, I actually think a 18 Hewes with the bench seat has an advantage over the Pathfinder for the reason you mentioned.  I guess the 2200 TLS would be sweet because the kidos and wife could sit in the stern seats.  

On another note, we don't go offshore and we boat 80% in the creeks and rivers in Charleston.  ICW can get rough with the boat traffic, but I'm not a go fast kind of guy.  

Well darn on the 20'er....

i had a very nice 1900 that sold literlaly in a few hours this summer. I spent a good amount of time looking for mine cause of garage ability at my last house and I guess even I didn't realize that they were as in demand until I sold it. I got blown up for days on it by simply putting it on here and MBC Facebook. Speaking of which there was a very nice 1900 on the MBC Facebook in Jax a while ago with brand new 2 stroke Vmax.  Very rare to find a new two stroke now a days.  Can't remember how he said he got it but it was explained....either way might be worth looking into!

Not that I have owned a Pathy to compare it to but I am with Hurricane. My nephew and buddy's son have been going on the boat with me since before they could walk and now one or both of them are on the boat when I go out most of the time.  I have had an 18 Hewes and now a 21 and both worked fine with the kids.  Both of the boys are "trained" where to sit and do when the big motor starts up so now it is really easy with them.  My nephew just turned 9 and is behind the helm at the controls most of the time now. :)

4 hours ago, justfish said:

Well darn on the 20'er....

i had a very nice 1900 that sold literlaly in a few hours this summer. I spent a good amount of time looking for mine cause of garage ability at my last house and I guess even I didn't realize that they were as in demand until I sold it. I got blown up for days on it by simply putting it on here and MBC Facebook. Speaking of which there was a very nice 1900 on the MBC Facebook in Jax a while ago with brand new 2 stroke Vmax.  Very rare to find a new two stroke now a days.  Can't remember how he said he got it but it was explained....either way might be worth looking into!

No doubt they are in high demand because I guess a lot of folks either have garage constraints or are in the same situation as me.  

I'm going to dig around and see if I can find a 03 or 04 1900v in good shape and I'll look into the Cobia 190 as well.  I'm not in any rush and as long as I have something by spring, I'll be happy.  Thanks to all for the tips and I think the Pathy or Cobia will be a better fit long term, although those brand new 18 Hewes with the powder coated aluminum  and Sho engine sure are sweet!!!

22 hours ago, hurricane said:

This is exactly how I look at it as well.  I also feel the 18.5 MA has more room than a 18 or 19 Pathy and a 21 MA has way more fishing room than any 20 or 22 Pathy, but i like and use walk on gunnels. My 4 year old has been on the boat since probably 2 months old and I have never felt unsafe. 

Lap it up you mention "room" and then "fishing room" and that's exactly the difference as I see it. Flats boats have more room ON the boat vs in the boat for bay boat.

One of my best buds had a 18MA til recently while I had a 19 Pathy. If 2-3 of us fished the flats we took his boat. If we fished "offshore", the beach, took the wifeys, went to sandbar, diving/snorkling, scalloping, tubing anything else we'd take mine. I am assuming that's what the OP means by "family boat".    Either way, no way that his boat had more room for anything other than fishing on the top deck than the 1900....honestly it's not even close - The 8.5' beam on the pathfinder is huge.

He recently sold the MA and now has a 22 Blackjack. 

This is obviously extreme, but the 4th of July we went to sandbar with 7 people, 2 labs, 2 stand up paddle boards, coolers, pop up up tent and tables and chairs.  Sorry only pic I had of those shenanigans.  

image.jpeg

Ha ha - good stuff guys.  

I went from a 30 Regulator to a 16 Hewes so I can certainly appreciate having more room.  Every boat has pros and cons and all of the tips have been super helpful.  I love to pole the flats for tailing reds, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone since becoming a father (not complaining).  Now I'm more of a anchor in calm water and drop some live bait while the wifey and daughter hang out.   

Had a 18 Redfisher which was great for two adults. When the granddaughters, (3 and 6) wanted to go for rides in the boat I bought a small bay boat. Can still fish the waters I want but also have the freeboad to keep young people inside the boat. Great peace of mind. Your family will grow very quickly and other will be a time when a flats boat will work well.

Archived