18 Redfisher for Family

jtms

I had an 18 Bayfisher which was 18'10", got rid of it right after kid #3 was born a couple of years ago and went to a PF24.  Plenty of trips with the wife and 2 kids on the Hewes, but sometime after kid 2 was born i remember being out and fishing off the stern and turned around to go up to put the trolling motor out and saw rods laying everywhere, towels out, bags of snacks, drinks, etc and contemplating how I was going to get from where I was up to the bow all I could say was "I'm going to need a bigger boat!"  Don't regret the move but I'm in a 24 now with kid #4 that's 8 months old.  

So that being said, for 3 of you I think you are going to fine with the Redfisher depending on how much of an angler your wife is and how much you like having gunnels.  My wife is sort of a safety freak so she likes the gunnels but I never really had any major concerns on the flats boat.  We made it work and I know I caught more fish in the flats boat.  That's my oldest daughter and son on the Hewes with her first trout (note the sippy cup in the cupholder - who says a flats boat can't be a family boat).  Not like its super roomy but it worked. The folddown bench seat was actually nice for kids to lay on, though I really didn't like it for anything else.

Lfish.JPG

You can definitely make it work if you want to, especially with 3.  If you expect more will be on the way, you really ought to think hard about the bay boat, you aren't going to have as much time to fish anyway. 

Archived