OOPS!!

Lap it Up

I didn't take it.  A friend sent it to me.  At first I thought it was photo shopped but it looks real.  I know that beach well. Another friend of mine had his 17 Seasquirt pull two anchors and float 40+ miles to Marathon from that same beach. Shrimp boat found it, he got lucky. 

Just curious, how would that happen????  Do they lay over on the  chine on the outgoing, then water saturated with sand lap over the gunwhales on the incoming?????  To the point that sand clogs up the bilge pump?????

Should they have been anchored bow out and stern in?

I have some experience in these matters, by the way.

2 hours ago, JEM said:

Just curious, how would that happen????  Do they lay over on the  chine on the outgoing, then water saturated with sand lap over the gunwhales on the incoming?????

Saw those all over Facebook and that seems to be the prevailing theory on how it happened perhaps while they were sleeping I guess. Curious too from those that have been there. Everglades I reckon? Guess they had a sense of humor about it...unless that lil zebco in the Maverick survived the carnage! 

5 hours ago, blackacre said:

Seems like this wasn't the only boat there. 

image.jpeg

That second pic gives a new meaning to "East Cape". I too would be interested to hear what happened, as like the others have spent many nights camping out there. Maybe I can learn from their adventure…not enough anchors out, why not run to the canal, etc? No doubt, if you're not prepared for the fronts that come thru this time of year, this is a reality and the hassle of camping on the outside. That being said, maybe these guys were on top of it--not boats that are usually owned by newbies...

I heard that it happened this past weekend on a beach in the ENP. The front that blew thru Saturday eve was flat out gnarly over there! Waves on those beaches can pop up to well over 4' in a matter of minutes. I've seen it all before and almost had to ditch my old 17MA on Mid Cape beach one evening many moons ago due to nasty weather....

We were in the Harney when a 25-35 wind blew in at 4am.  I had a long bow line and a long stern line that we took around the two chickee corner posts and tied them together with a square knot leaving enough slack for the tides.  Also had the Wang stuck thru a bracket on the bow to keep the bow stable.  There were no issues with the boat blowing around or banging on the dock but I was worried to death it wouldn't hold.  I can't imagine banking on a few anchors out off of a point/cape in that front that pushed thru.  The first big gust woke me up immediately.  There was no warning or ramp up.  It was that quick.   

Jason P.  Would you say that the S. Joe is your favorite Chickee?  It is a really nice place.  Far enough away from the mangroves that bugs aren't a huge issue.  Plenty of breeze out there.  We did notice that we had more movement in the S. Joe Chickee when people would move around even on the side.  I saw a few others that looked like they'd be good spots on to the North but that one was pretty cool somewhat out there in the middle of the bay.  

The night we were there we had a boat come thru about an hour or more before daylight.  I could hear it coming up the river.  They were driving with a spotlight in a smaller boat maybe with a tiller motor.  It was loud.  I stuck my head out the tent and he flashed his light.  Thought that was odd for someone to be moving that early but I guess they were trying to get to a secret spot before daylight.

I really don't have a favorite, I pretty much base my decision on the predicted wind direction. I actually like Shark River or Watson the best because they're singles but Watson is kind of exposed from the North and East (which is the prevailing wind, like... almost always) and Shark River is shut down for now.

We stay out of the Hells Bay area in the winter holidays because it's usually covered up with hippies and I have no interest in splitting a canoe in half coming around a corner. Plus, even in ideal conditions without a strong east wind and a full/new moon winter tide there are places you can't come off plane, in my boat anyway, to slow down for them.

If the guys were in an HB Whipray with a tiller Mercury 2 stroke they were probably looking for us, sorry about that:)

On 1/10/2017 at 9:28 AM, JEM said:

Just curious, how would that happen????  Do they lay over on the  chine on the outgoing, then water saturated with sand lap over the gunwhales on the incoming?????  To the point that sand clogs up the bilge pump?????

I have some experience in these matters, by the way.

My guess is, most likely anchor broke free during weather. Other thing could be motor left down and the skeg caught the bottom, keeping the boat from go out with the tide.

Archived