OOPS!!

Lap it Up

Mostly happens when folks put their skiffs bow-in up on the beach- It would appear that they had at least a stern anchor out- however- the beach there has a steep drop-off (which is why most people don't anchor bow-out) and the water is full of toothy critters, which makes swimming in inadvisable (although I've done it). The bottom is loose sand, too, which make anchoring tricky.

The above is what happens when a strong front comes though and switches the wind to the west and blows hard overnight- the wind creates a surf zone where your skiff is parked, drives it up on the beach and swamps it. Moral of the story- if you're going to camp on East Cape- anchor a bit offshore, bow out, with at least one, if not more decent size hooks.

Fished ENP this past weekend on a on foot negative low....we saw at least 8 boats all beached due to the tides.....had they had a bad night...they'd all be sunk and under sand....

I don't camp either on beach or tikis (call it my Marine Corps Post PSD Camping (LOL))....but, I admire those who do.....after years hump'n my gear in the Corps...I ain't carrying it to have fun :) 

BTW, there is a video that a forum member made years ago on one of the TV shows that show how to keep your boat a floating....similar to the pic that was posted herein.

Be safe all....

dc

Archived