Good reminder to wear your kills switch

justfish

I wear mine all the time when alone, hardly ever if someone is on boat with me, logic being they can come back and pick me up....this vid mighta changed my views on that. It happens quick out there....

Can you imagine the havoc that boat would have caused if it righted itself with the throttle still in the corner? 

People on Facebook saying the steering broke. I didn't think that at first, looked to me like they tried to cross the wake intentionally while haulin' running on the pad. But, going back and watching again it looks like that could be the case. I see the driver try to turn left , but there is no movement left the boat keeps going right.

To the right would be the direction the torque of the motor would send the boat, correct?

Hurricane - was wondering the same thing, but when my '88 engine mounts became loose, I did some research to figure out what was going on.  I ran across several references to the "pin of death" or the "death bolt" describing a piece of the steering that, when corroded, would break and cause exactly this issue.

I do NOT wear my lanyard . . . or rather, I didn't.  I do now.  

Amazing about those boats passing by.  They just flew by and waked the guys in the water.  And that last boat came by so close they could have spit on the guys in the water!  What in the world.....!!!!!!?????  Those guys that flew by have no business even being on the water!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Nag Juice said:

If you wear one, make sure you have a spare so in the event of an ejection, your partner can pick you up

That's one of the smartest things I've heard on here. Never even thought of that. I'm sure a Yamaha kill switch lanyard only runs $50-$60.;)

I was on the UF bass team so the driver is a friend of mine. The nut for the hydraulic steering came off, causing him to lose all steering. He was running around 55 mph which isnt that bad, maybe should have trimmed down a little more when crossing the wake but still nothing should have caused that bad of a spin out. If you look you can see him try to steer left with no response.

I too was surprised how many people went right by. I always wear my kill switch and most any time running high speeds my auto inflate jacket is on.West marine had auto inflae jackets on sale for 54.99 on black friday.

Great reminder of why kill switch lanyards are made and should be used. Most people I know, including myself, simply don't wear them.

This is yet another example of why hauling azz in a boat is so dangerous. If the boat was doing 30 instead of 55mph then there's a high probability of no ejection.

I feel even better sticking with my low to mid-30mph cruising speed after watching this vid! Thankfully nobody was injured or killed.

30mph or 50mph, your engine cocks sideways your going in the water on a flats boat. Or at least ripping the console loose.  Glad they didn't get hurt too bad. Lanyards are a great idea. The boat probably has a hot foot so if they didn't wear a lanyard it would be idling around them like a stand up jet ski!  Scary.

Another note, if you're going to run it hard and trimmed up. Make sure you cross wakes at 90 degrees or as close to it. After watching the video, you can see they crossed at a slight angle, trimmed up at speed. Once the bow is up and she starts walking it's hard to recover. If you pull back too fast you'll lock it up. Start trimming it down first with slight course corrections. Once more boat gets in the water she'll be more stable and easier to control. Ask me how I know....

6 hours ago, jason p said:

That's one of the smartest things I've heard on here. Never even thought of that. I'm sure a Yamaha kill switch lanyard only runs $50-$60.;)

You can buy lanyards at most sporting goods with marine products for cheap that will work with Yami kills.  Some of them have multiple connects.  I purchased a spare long ago when someone recommended that here.  When I pre-flight passengers I always tell them I'll where a kill but if for some reason I get ejected, I show them the spare and how to connect it.  

Had a good friend (my Dad's old fishing buddy) that spent many years on the water.  He had a steering cable break about 25 years ago and it threw him out of the boat.  No kill switch.  He had on a life jacket but he was likely knocked out when ejected.  The boat began the circle of death and the prop got him in the head.  Was devastating to all of their fishing buddies but a great lesson.  I've always try to wear a jacket  try to make sure the driver has the lanyard connected.  Just such a simple task to take care of the gives you a little more assurance that you'll be home to tuck the family in at night.  

8 hours ago, wthree3 said:

Tough to see bodies in the water when they're wearing camo PFDs.

Not sure if your joking or not, but it's a very  good point that they aren't very visible.  But I find it hard  to believe 8 guys didn't see them in that narrow body of water.  

Ive watched this a few times now and there's no way you can convince me speed didn't play a big factor.  I'm not taking that wake at that angle at 55.  

I have never figured out the camo PFD's????? Kind of like the Navy going to camo BDU style fatigues!! Fall overboard and your hidden???? And yes to the boats screaming by, thanks for the help A-holes!!!!!

I have both a electronic kill switch(which I always forget I have on and when I dock the boat and come back the thing is screaming a warning and the kill sw is activated) and the laynard, I use the lanyard when in tight places or running the flats.

5 hours ago, justfish said:

Not sure if your joking or not, but it's a very  good point that they aren't very visible.  But I find it hard  to believe 8 guys didn't see them in that narrow body of water.  

Ive watched this a few times now and there's no way you can convince me speed didn't play a big factor.  I'm not taking that wake at that angle at 55.  

55 isn't really that fast even when crossing wakes. If anything trim is what plays the biggest role when crossing wakes. Bass boats handle different though. Come off pad too fast and the boat will hook if you are still trimmed up .  The loss of steering allowed the boat to grab up front and hook. 

Here's a video of what I'm talking about. Chop the steering to one side even at 30 or 40 and a bass boat can spin out

I wouldnt consider the speed of the boat reckless or a major contributing factor, but I do think slowing down could obviously reduce the risk of serious injury. 

Hence the reason bass boats are designed to run in flat, calm water.

I've lost steering on my old 17MA at about 35mph in a 1-2' rear quartering sea and I was able to knock my knees on the console yet still luckily recover and come off plane. That would not have been the case at 55mph. The faster you go, the harder the wipe out!! No way around that. I'm going to start checking my steering components more often.

22 hours ago, hurricane said:

WOW! Glad everyone is ok. WTF other boats went by and didn't even stop.

I always wear my lanyard. I have wrist strap on mine, I find it much easier to put on and take off.

http://m.big5sportinggoods.com/mobile/mdetails/Chums/6165122150003//floating-keychain/_/A-4586186;jsessionid=73C9E27DA1F04A132527FA530A1484BB.prod_store01-1

That's a great idea.  The lanyard at the CC in a Pathy can be a PIA because on mine it gets wrapped up in the wheel.  I've used a carabiner clip on a belt loop or where my trunks tie to keep it at my waist line and out of the wheel.  Otherwise, my inflatable PFDs all have a D-ring on the left side for the kill switch but that is the worst place for it.  

Archived