Islamorada Trip

AMJ

We have talked about planning a trip for years.  We are finally moving ahead with making plans.  We would be going during our sons summer break.  Reading online says June is rainiest season so do we need to avoid that month?

Im looking for ideas on places to stay (family friendly area).  We are more interested in good eats than night life.

Must do/see things/places.

Also, best type of fishing trip to plan if I can swing it.  Had a not so good experience while fishing Florida coast while on a Disney vacation a couple years ago.  I don't want to go thru that again.

Breezy Palms is the place to stay !  Oceanside, at the end of Upper Matecumbe, so access to the backcountry is right there..If you stay there the first week of July, you will see plenty of Hewes & Pathfinders in their marina.

Plenty to do on a rainy day, great food, (and good delivery).  The list of things to do/see is pretty long. World class snorkelling, great offshore/flats/Backcountry fishing.. right there..

Mod-1

Don't sweat the weather, you obviously can't do anything about it. Anytime in the summer (April-October-ish) you're gonna see afternoon showers on most days, alot of thunder showers as well. When it's not the rainy season, our "winter", the wind is usually blowing out of the north/north-east. Pick your poison. 

First, There's the keys and then there is key west. We gone every year for long time and stayed mostly in marathon and big pine. Islamorada is prob prettiest but almost exclusively resorts and the term can be used loosely especially out of islamorada. Marathon is a popular spot due to lots of house rentals, which are cheaper.  It's prob most convient with all the normal stores (except Walmart) most towns would have. Big problem for marathon is no real backcountry, when it blows your really exposed no matter the side.  

Edit, well I wrote all that then re read title that your going to Islamorada. Good, I think it's best overall.  Dont worry about the rain. It's almost exclusively in afternoons and part of Florida in summer. Just hit it water in morning and be on dock drinking before 3. Like Jason said if it's not Rainy season, it windy season which is worse. 

Did Marathon last year early June.  Awesome trip.  Everyone in the family had a great time from my daughters to my 67 year old mom.  Spent every day on the boat except one super windy day.  Caught everything from pinfish, snapper and YTs to tarpon and dolphin.  I'd go back in a blink.

Not saying you should go to Marathon just saying we had a great time in the Keys in June.

Having been going to the Keys all my life, my .02; get away from the major tourist traps where people go without boats, Key Largo, Islamorada, Key West. Rent a house if you are going to stay a week or longer. If you can avoid coming in or leaving on a Saturday, do that. 

8 hours ago, rubble said:

Is it crazy hot there in June and July?  I've been in Naples in July and fished on Kissimmee in June and it gets crazy hot. 

Yes... BUT nothing like Central, North, or Panhandle FL. Many people scoff at this but I've lived in ATL, Jacksonville, and now Homestead and I will honestly tell you this is the "coolest feeling" dead of summer-time area in the SE. If you do come down in June/July go ahead and stop for gas in Ocala, step out of the truck  and take a nice deep breath and tell me what you think.

Lived in Key Largo for 12 years. June July and most of August is my absolute favorite time of the year in the Keys. Its warm but easterly on shore breezes makes in very comfortable. Fish in the morning, grab the spear guns and head to the shallow reefs for some snorkeling during the heat of the day and then a sandy shady spot for a beer in late afternoon. get up the next day and do it all over again. I moved out about a little over a year ago and really miss the summers there. I am renting a house from the middle of june to the middle of August in Key Largo this summer can't wait. I would highly recommend staying ocean side but close to one of the cuts so you can access the bay side easily. The difference is that late afternoons when most want to be outside and enjoying the outdoors it can get very hot and buggy on the bayside. prevailing winds are easterly. Staying ocean side you will want to sit outside and enjoy the cool breeze. Bayside you will want to sit in the AC and away from bugs. Just my 2 cents. Over all there's plenty to do in Islamorada. My favorite watering hole late afternoon is upstairs at Whale Harbor. cool breezes and the vistas are amazing Loreli is also fun. Sundowner has great food for evenings (lots of good restraunts). If you take a drive south don't miss the No Name Pub at No Name Key. If you do it right there's nothing not to love. Spend plenty of time IN the water and 'you won't be worried about the heat. Have fun     

003.JPG

Thanks for all of the input.  We are from the coast of SC so we are used to summer heat with HUMIDITY. 

Probably won't take the boat on our first trip due to the 12 hour drive.  May rent a boat or take a guided fishing trip, especially if I can find someone interested in splitting a trip the week we are there.

definetly taking fishing gear.  We are getting excited.

yeah that's a long way to bring your boat for week. If you get a couple of days of wind it will feel really short. Keep in touch not sure when you are planning on being there but I should be coming in mid june. I'll probably miss the best of the tarpon migration but overall fishing should be good. I like staying at the Ragged Edge. A little off the beaten path but ocean front and old rustic keys feel. The Keys are truly paradise

Adam,

Have you picked dates or made reservations yet ?

All above places are good..

Other cool choices are Robbie's Tarpon feeding dock.  MM78  Awesome breakfast omelets sitting on the water..By Boat or car,,   Bob's Buns. MM-81 south of Worldwide Sportsman.. Bakery that serves breakfasts. By car

If you want to take your Lady out to a nice supper by car, Kaiyo has good sushi and Asian fusion MM81 (across from Worldwide Sportman) , Lazy Days has killer local seafood: Just north of Bud & Marys  MM-80..  For a premium Steak, Ziggie and Mad Dogs' MM-83 is superb..

Great places for lunch by boat, and on the water:  Island Grill, under the Snake Creek Bridge MM-85.5,  A Fried-food Sports Bar, Hog Heaven, just south of Island Grill, but use the outer channel from Snake Creek. (Bring Rolaids.)  Worldwide Sportsman MM-81 Bayside: More of an event.. Eat, Shop, get baits, live music weekends, gas pumps at their docks..

"A Fried-food Sports Bar, Hog Heaven, just south of Island Grill, but use the outer channel from Snake Creek. (Bring Rolaids.)"

Mr. Mod, that's funny right there.....Tums and breath mints!! Used to be the only place in the Islamorada area where you could get a nice big hamburger for less than $8. Now, if you are in Marathon and want the best burger and fries in the Keys go to Burdines, the drive in through the old neighborhood south of US1 is not too pretty, however it's worth it.

BTW - I am from SC also, upstate.  Towed the boat last year.  I made the trip closer to 10 days and it was absolutely worth taking the boat.  Had a friend ride down with me and someone else rode back. Family flew. We broke it up with an overnight on the way down but drive it straight thru not the way back.  Not saying you are making the wrong decision for you.  For me it was great to have a boat everyday but we did get lucky with good weather. 

Before you decide to not bring boat, look at boat rental prices. Will likely cost you as much (or more) per day as your lodging.  Plus they usually leave a lot to be desired. Went once without a boat. The keys is really about the water, IMO I'd prob never go back down without one. Some of my best memories (and pics) down there are simple impromptu sunset cruises with my wife.

I'd put that boat rental $ toward getting your trailer in tip top shape and take your own boat and enjoy the keys on your terms not some rental boat guys....

Ok guys, y'all are mighty convincing. And yes boat rentals are expensive to the tune of atleast $350-$400 per day starting cost at the one place I checked.

Considering a 12 hour drive and we're planning to break up the trip down into two days anyway.  How much additional time should I figure on adding to the trip if I do take ours?  I'm thinking an extra 2-3 hours.

Archived