Islamorada Trip

AMJ

3 hours ago, AMJ said:

Ok guys, y'all are mighty convincing. And yes boat rentals are expensive to the tune of atleast $350-$400 per day starting cost at the one place I checked.

Considering a 12 hour drive and we're planning to break up the trip down into two days anyway.  How much additional time should I figure on adding to the trip if I do take ours?  I'm thinking an extra 2-3 hours.

I"d figure 50 mph for your mileage including stops and you should be fine...

If you are considering trailering...which as mentioned above, the keys are about water time....and the boat rentals are not for the serious fisherman....I'd be sure to load on board:

1.) Two spares - have your current tires balanced

2.) Two hub kits - extra grease, etc.

3.) A large blanket, a 6x6 piece of wood to allow you to change tire on the side of the road, a floor jack you can get cheap, extra grease etc. for the hubs.

4.) Check your bolts, spare bulbs, for the trailer 

5.) All your registration etc. ready in the car

6.) Proper hand tools to make a repair / chane tires if it goes down.

7.) Look up your trailer's axle maker and where you can find one along the route, in the event you have a severe problem.  Be sure to have your SEA TOW or BOAT US towing package up to date - get the super premium plan.

8.) Be sure all the tires are properly inflated and you've broken the nuts on the rims and spray them with corrossion block

9.) Extra cap for the hub kit incase it falls off

With this, you should be "OK"....good luck.

dc

Your torn-up, concrete I-95 is the worst road of the 12 hours. Stay out of the right lane, especially northbound.

Jacksonville: I would take the 2-95 east loop and avoid downtown 95 at all costs. The construction will kill tires, springs and axles.

Don't tow gasoline to Florida. You will be better off using the boat to carry stuff that can get wet.. Get gas in the Keys. Many Rec-90 choices.

Take your time traveling.. Be prepared for the depression you'll feel when leaving the Keys..

Archived