Model history

palmetto1

7 hours ago, justfish said:

#whichwayisup'17  🇺🇸

#maketheforumgreatagain

LOL - now that was funny.  I hereby accept your nomination for the role of Boat historian, and look forward to serving this community.  It does seem to me that in order to do my job effectively, I REALLY need to experience each of these vessels first hand, particularly their fishability in the various waters that they inhabit.  I need to explore such question as "Do dual rod lockers work as effectively when chasing tarpon in Islamorada as they do chasing Striper in the salt ponds of the freezing north?  

C'mon guys, get those invitations queued up, boats waxed, trips planned, and fish hungry.  I'm comin'!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe starting 97-99 they took 3 inches off the freeboard of the 16 Bonefishers and reduced the hp rating to 90 from 115 and continued to make them that way until the end.  The 16 Bayfishers were made in the lappy hull at the same time and were not changed.  I think the lappy Bayfishers had a 90 hp rating.  In any case I don't think they sold very many with a 115 as the purpose of the Bayfisher was to lower the price.  The Bonefisher was the premium version, kind of like the difference between a Chevy truck and a GMC.  Some of this has been mentioned by others. The differences between Bayfisher lappy and Bonefisher lappy are as follows:

Different cap, different rear storage layout, Bonefisher had recessed front casting deck for flyline,

Bonefisher had fold down poling pole holders and pop up cleat in front.

Bonefisher had black trim piece around cockpit at top

Bonefisher had 8 rod tubes under the gunnel, four on each side

Bonefisher had different console, mine has the guide console with no seat in front

Bonefisher had a drainage gutter at rear of cockpit

Bonefisher had grab rail on rear bulkhead below the seat cushions

Bonefisher had different rod holders under the gunnel.  (I love my rod holders.   MHP still uses them on the Maverick.)

Bonefisher had carpet under gunnels.  Not sure if Bayfisher had carpet.

Bonefisher had different poling platform...I think

I believe non skid was different.  Maybe not better but different, I think.

Bonefisher had a base above the gas tank on the deck to mount a bass boat type seat or leaning post

Bonefisher had more capable live well.  It had high speed raw water pickup from the bottom of the hull, at rest raw water pickup at the transom on a pump, 8 drainage holes on the transom to adjust water level and a recirculating/aeration pump.

My boat weighs 800 pounds don't know about the Bayisher.  I believe hulls were identical.  Lurem may be referring to a 1998 Bonefisher with a lower freeboard than the Bayfisher at that time.

My boat has 30 gallon gas tank, not sure if Bayfisher had 30 gallon tank.  Maybe somebody can confirm

This is all to the best of my recollection.  Hope this helps.

Good stuff.  My 96 Bayfisher had 30 gallons fuel. No carpet under gunnels,   It had the bass seat plate tho it might have been added by previous owner instead of factory I'm not sure.

pretty sure the redfishers/bonefisher had courtesy lights on side of console that the bayfishers didn't have

just a little info and history.  Had a 1978 Kevlar super redfisher with a 85hp Johnson Javelin motor--live wells mounted to the rear of the transom. There was no

interliner bow and stern platform marine plywood covered with outdoor carpert- no dry storage under rear platform just slid plastic medical boxes under for dry storage.

Bow platform had small hatch but again no dry storage. 30 gallon tank in the bow area--sure had fun time with! Since then I have had 2 bonefisher tourmament models

and 2 redfishers

Archived