Single axle vs dual axle

TarponTim

Question: I have a 2001 22 pathfinder with the original performance single axle trailer and a 150hp motor. My question is I'm thinking of having my trailer fixed or do you feel it would be better to go with a new dual axle with brakes ? I think the boat and trailer are under the 3000lbs that i think is required for brakes but just wanted to here what you all have to say. My trailer just needs a torsion axle, new hubs, and whater ever has rusted over time.

I would say that you are already over 3000 pounds. Just the fuel alone (if tank is full) would be over 300 pounds, plus batteries, power pole, T-top, jack plate, gear, engine, boat and trailer, etc....

Double axle trailer with brakes would of course be better but I do see 2200 Pathfinders on single axle trailers as well.

Not that it is legal or encouraged but most boat trailers I see around here for similar sized boats don't even have brakes and if they do, they aren't on both axles like legally required.

Tim,

I had one of the early AmeraTrail's and 22 Pathfinder's on a single Axel.  It was a 3750 lb axel with class "C" tires.

It was literally a diaster and the boat should have NEVER BEEN placed on that trailer.  I had 3 blow-outs due to the trailer rocking/bouncing and hitting the wheel wells.

I ordered a 5,000 lb trailer and went to class D - Maxxis tires and never had an issue for 4 years afterwards.

If you do go with a new axle, go 5K and larger, stronger tires...

The best is dual axle on this type of boat; however, as you know, they range from $3-5K  depending on the maker...while a new 5K axle will run about $800 plus two new tires = $250, so you are about $1100....

DC

I've had both single and dual axle with and without brakes. I never had any trouble with the single but the chances of multiple blowouts and getting stranded are much greater. More tires equal less weight and less stress per tire. As for breaks. I have never seen the use for them. Ive had two trailers with them and ended up taking them off. They a maintenance nightmare! Even the stailess($$$$) have to be replaced every few years. 

Thanks DC, yes i feel the same way these 22ft pathy's should never have been placed on a single axle trailer. I have been very lucky to only have 1 blowout but, no other issues. I feel a change is needed for my safety and others around me. Just need a part time job to buy it now since the School Board dont pay me enough.

Yea I would second what mulligan said. Simply add an axle while redoing the trailer hubs tires and all that. I know legally you should have brakes on each axle; but I had them on my last boat trailer and didn't see the need either- plus the maintenance was a little annoying but I always service my trailer after use and before any long trips. 

Personally; I would just upgrade to the 5k single axle, and get either class D or LT tires like Wannaflatsfish said. No brakes (unless you really want them). Ease of use is just as important as functionality to me- less tires is less maintenance. 

I had a dual axle on my old 22 and it was a dream. I towed often to the coast 6+ hours one way and never had a problem.

With the single axle configurations, it just seems too much boat. I agree with others, don't end messing up your boat over 1-2K.

I had a single axle on my last boat. Had a wheel bearing break and had to have a flat back tow truck bring it back to the house for me. The new boat came with a single axle but I rebuilt a tandem axle for it. It might be overkill but it gives you peace of mind. And there is no price on that. 

I think what you need to do should be based on your trailer use.  If you are just trailering to the local ramp across town, then a single axle is fine.  But if you are trailering on the interstate every time you go fish, tandem is the way to go.  For the people that say you don't need brakes on a rig that you are running 70 mph on the interstate, good luck.  Yes, any half ton pickup will stop a 22 Pathfinder just fine.  The problem arises if you are traveling interstate speeds during a drizzling rain, and have an emergency stopping situation where you have to slam on brakes.  You might very well be glad you had brakes on your trailer!  Been there, done that!  My .02 worth......

By the way, I bought my 2007 Path 22 out of Norwalk, Ct.  It had a single axle Venture trailer (probably the cheapest trailer to be had), that had very little use and appeared to be in great shape.  When I drove up to purchase, I took new tires and bearings to change out before I hit 95 back to GA.  I made it to VA before I had a leaf spring break (didn't plan on breaking a leaf spring!!!!!!!), shredding a brand new 15 in, 10 ply, radial tire.  I spent 7 hours on the side of 5 lane I95 traffic in DRIVING rain, with semi's whizzing by mere feet away, before we managed to limp to the next exit.  It was the next afternoon before I got underway again, after cobbling together a leaf spring from various springs bought at a Harbor Freight 20 miles away on a Sunday.  Can we say "miserable trip?"   Well, last fall, I bought a brand new Ameratrail trailer and sold my rebuilt single axle Venture.  It has probably been the best money I have spent on the boat.   The boat sits low between the fenders, and tows smooth as silk on those torsion axles, so much so, that I don't even know it is back there!  I love how easy it is to jump in the boat because it is so much lower to the ground.  It should last me a long  time since I don't dunk it......we put in at marinas with hoists.

attachments[1].jpg

A 22ft boat should sit on a tandem trailer. I had a single axle EZ loader carrying my Redfisher 21 when I bought it and always felt uneasy trailering it. It took one blowout at 65 mph on the turnpike in traffic coming back from Flamingo to make me break open the piggy bank. I picked up a Continental aluminum skiff trailer with tandem torsion axles from Bob at Inshore Marine Specialties. The first thing I noticed as JEM stated, it sits so much lower now making climbing in and out easier. Launching is easier as well cause it's lower to the water and the ride is so much better. You really don't feel it at all. I got mine with w/o brakes since it's under the 3000 mark. I figured brakes were going to be additional maintenance and one more thing to brake down. FYI....I had a 22 Pathfinder on a Magic Tilt  tandem without brakes and my Ram 1500 had no problems keeping it in check. Just don't drive like NASCAR and draft behind traffic.      

Tim,

I owned your identical boat with a 200hpdi, single axle, no brakes. No prob and would pull 1-2 hrs each way.  But I always went with Maxxis or high quality tires, and meticulously checked air pressures,etc.   I would have liked to know your tow vehicle and its capabilites, as that might matter a little.  Anyway, I suggest if you plan on keeping the boat, and have the cash, go for the dual axle if you like.  Otherwise, single works for now, save up your $, sell the rig in a few years, and then get a pf with a dual axle trailer.  Just a thought.

Jp

The Pathfinder 22 is not a heavy boat, and everyone's tow vehicle will, without a doubt, stop the trailer on a dime.......99.9% of the time. You can do all the right things and be as careful as you can possibly be.  You can  drive 60 mph on the 70 mph  interstate.  And you can hang back behind traffic a half mile.   And you might never need the brakes.  Lucky you if you have never had a problem, and probably the vast majority of us haven't.  The problem is when the unexpected happens!  Like when someone changes lane right in front of you in a driving rain, or a deer jumps in front of you on a rainy highway going 60 mph.  And you have to slam on brakes.  I can just about guarantee you that the trailer will continue to push you vehicle.  It's the same principle with homeowners insurance.  Most of us have never used it, but none of us would go without it.  I think to REGULARLY pull a 4000 lb rig at highway speeds without working brakes is simply playing russian roulette.   

My brother's utility trailer got side swiped yesterday during rush hour on I-275 by another car that wasn't paying attention and changed lanes. His brakes kept his trailer from spinning him out saving him from the potential damage that could have been a lot worse. 

The car at fault spun out 2.5 times and ended up facing towards the oncoming traffic. *** happens. 

That being said, I don't have brakes on my Pathy trailer. I just put the power poles down. 

IMG_8981.JPG

I hate single axle trailers. If you get a dual axle make sure it is torsion, that way you can pull a wheel off and pump home without even having to change it if you had to. Or get off the highway to a safer place. 

I towed probably 10000 miles last year with my trailer, maybe more, and having brakes and tandem axles were a fantastic piece of mind.

It all boils down to how big your wallet is. A duel axle trailer with torsion axles and brakes on all four tires is unquestionably the best option. It will give you piece of mind while towing, is as safe as you can get for you, your family and other drivers, and gives you options if you have a tire or bearing failure like linesider 159 said.  It is going to cost you, but try to imagine the cost if you are involved in a wreck, even if you are not at fault, the lawyers are going to securitize every inch of your tow vehicle and trailer.  You have to pay now for an acquit trailer that complies with the laws regarding breaks or take a chance of paying a lot more later should the unthinkable happen.

And speaking of trailer brakes; I installed disc brakes on my old duel axle trailer and they lasted 9 years before I had to rebuild them. My new boat came with an AmeriTrail with brakes on all four wheels. Been three years and no problems. I'm not saying trailer brakes don't malfunction, but if you maintain them they will serve you well.     

Archived