Single axle vs dual axle

TarponTim

On 3/24/2017 at 9:30 AM, TarponTim said:

Question: I have a 2001 22 pathfinder with the original performance single axle trailer and a 150hp motor. My question is I'm thinking of having my trailer fixed or do you feel it would be better to go with a new dual axle with brakes ? I think the boat and trailer are under the 3000lbs that i think is required for brakes but just wanted to here what you all have to say. My trailer just needs a torsion axle, new hubs, and whater ever has rusted over time.

I've had a 24 PF and currently have a 22 PF, both were on AmeriTrail dual axle trailers. Much less bounce when traveling on non Interstate roads. You can get home or to a repair place if one tire blows out when have duals. JMHO ; As for brakes.. There  is no stopping the effects of multiple saltwater baths.

Different states have different regulations on trailers with brakes depending on the weight and length of your boat. 

Thought about getting a repair quote first before i bite the bullet. I prefer a single but, thats only due to never having a dual axle under it. I have emailed Amera Trail not sure how much they are and Continental, Sea tech, Carribean and a few others but, i just need to jump and make a decision here soon.

4 hours ago, TarponTim said:

Thought about getting a repair quote first before i bite the bullet. I prefer a single but, thats only due to never having a dual axle under it. I have emailed Amera Trail not sure how much they are and Continental, Sea tech, Carribean and a few others but, i just need to jump and make a decision here soon.

Be legal as the first requirement. IMHO all boats outside of a John boat or small light skiffs belong on 2 axles.

Very few MHPC products are sold under 3000 pounds when sitting on a trailer. In Florida, that means brakes on all axles. Yes, they are a PITA but to CYA you better have them. I would never put my 21 MA on a single axle trailer again, been there and wrecked that.

4 hours ago, TarponTim said:

Be

Years ago I had a wheel shear the studs and come off, and unfortunately I had a single axle under my 21' RF.  After that I knew I didn't trust a single axle under this boat.  I checked all the standard mfg's on getting a dual axle with torsion springs and Owens and Sons had the best price for their custom trailer using better components and better wiring.  The ride is so much better and I feel a lot safer with 4 wheels under the boat when it's on land.  

I bought my 2200 V new in 2003. It came with a single axle aluminum trailer with 14" tires and a #3500 lb axle. Over the years I've made some mods to it. I made changes to the lay out of the bunks, etc. I had issues for several years with tire failures. The last time I replaced the axle I moved up to a 6000 lb axle and 15" tires. I have now towed this boat from Fort Myers, FL to the Chesapeake Bay and back twice. I also guide and fish well over 150 days a year. I have had ZERO issues. The D rated 14" tires just couldn't handle the load. I wanted to stay with the single axle to reduce the maintenance costs. Perfectly happy with this set-up.

After 2 years and lots of brake trouble I removed the brakes from the rear axle (Ameritrail).  Have had no more issues. I service (clean&inspect) the brakes at least twice a year. The rear calipers would seize up and overheat. Luckily it always happened near the house. The rig stops just fine with one set of brakes, cannot tell any difference. I pull it with a F150. 

I have a 2005 PF 2000 that came on a single axle. I could never get it set up to my liking and then determined that it was overloaded. I drive like a granny when towing but I have seen the wheels come off the ground on normal bumps. I upgraded to an Owen & Sons tandem with brakes. BEST PURCHASE EVAR. 

I sold the old one to a friend with a 17' boat and we both went on a four tow to the coast. My old trailer pulled and rode like a champ once it wasnt overloaded. 

I am a fan of a heavier duty trailer but I live four hours from the coast. I had a flat one time 3/4 mile from where we were staying; I would have loved to have had a tandem. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new trailer now went with the upgrade to dual axle with brakes. I am almost done with the compound, polishing and waxing to help with the oxidation removal. Also added new bluetooth stereo, rod holders, pop up cleats all around. Decals and a few more things left and i will be ready to get back in the game again. Looking alot better for a 2001 22ft Pathy..

20170410_145154_Burst01.jpg

Archived