Yamaha 2 Stroke oil

gambler1

Looking to make the switch on oil for my 2006 VMax 200 Yamaha. Around 300 hrs. I use ethanol free fuel, ring free, and stabile at every fill up Tired of having to drive across town to get Yamalube for a decent price. Any advice on what else to use and will it be an issue mixing the oils ? I've heard Pennzoil, Starbright (West Marine brand) Quicksilver Premium plus and a few others to try. Idon't want to cause issues w/motor but looking for another brand of oil easier to find and easier on the wallet. What are you using? Should I stay w/Yamalube?

I ran Amsoil in my last motor and will say it was the cleanest burning oil but the price went up where I was getting it locally so I switched.  I have been running Mecury Opti oil on my HPDI.  I get it from the dealer who just fills my gallon jugs so it is pretty cheap.  I found Yammalube to burn dirty compaired to others.

I'll go again! In my opinion if you are using an EFI type engine or an engine that auto-mixes the oil and gas, like my old 2S 90 Yamaha, the Pennziol Premium Plus or Quicksilver Premium Plus synthetic blend is very good for the $$$$, I've went through many, many gallons. However when you cross the line to two stroke direct injection, as in HPDI, Optimax, eTec, etc. I'm a big fan of the full synthetic. 

I use yamalube now, just to give it a shot.. but first 200hrs of my Yamaha 150 vmax (carbed) it drank West Marine tcw3 oil. Yamalube has much more smoke. Both seem to work fine. With buy one get one free west marine oil sales regularly- its hard to beat the price. I run ring free every tank or so (not religiously) and no stabil as my boat gets run routinely and don't have gas sit most of the time. 

Buy in Bulk your poison. If it meets the recommended standard.

Paying for labels and jugs are half the cost. Sure, there are additives and specific blends. Last I checked not a single outboard manufacturer ever refined a drop of oil.

And by the way, properly sealed the stuff does not go bad. Go to Local dealers to pump into 5 gallon jugs is the way to go if you use a lot.

As far as synthetic it's not like your using the stuff for extended oil changes. It is getting used and burned off for every gallon of gas.

I know, Cleaner burning, less smoke and blah blah blah. I would be way more concerned about the quality of my fuel these days.

Just my two cents....I now have a four stroke, however...on my first Pathfinder, I put 1600 hours on a OX66 two stroke 200 and used Yamalube the entire time. I bought it by bulk from the dealer and pumped into my 5 gallon can...he pumped from 55 gallon drum. 

It was half the cost of buying it by the gallon from anywhere.  I don't know about the other brands or even who actually made it for Yamaha....but, it's all that I burned and I never had an issue with that motor. 

Stay with Yamalube. Seems to be working for you so far.  20 years on mine thus far. Others will disagree but my mechanic says Yamalube smokes more for a lot of reasons...and he says all good ones.  He only tunes and doesn't sell oil but insists on it for the older engines but he is old like me. If its a pain to obtain buy it online. Most places including WM ship for free usually.

If you switch, my advice...do it for some reason besides saving money. You bought a Pathy over lots of other less expensive boats for a reason I am sure.  Didn't skimp then...why now? My kids complained about the cost of books in college...realistically they are the cheapest part of a college education. One could same the same for outboard oil...since you asked...

On 3/29/2017 at 6:50 PM, triplec said:

Stay with Yamalube. Seems to be working for you so far.  20 years on mine thus far. Others will disagree but my mechanic says Yamalube smokes more for a lot of reasons...and he says all good ones.  He only tunes and doesn't sell oil but insists on it for the older engines but he is old like me. If its a pain to obtain buy it online. Most places including WM ship for free usually.

If you switch, my advice...do it for some reason besides saving money. You bought a Pathy over lots of other less expensive boats for a reason I am sure.  Didn't skimp then...why now? My kids complained about the cost of books in college...realistically they are the cheapest part of a college education. One could same the same for outboard oil...since you asked...

Ditto...heck, I throw away more shrimp after each trip at $4.00 a doz, who cares about a few extra bucks for OEM oil.

DC

21 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Pennzoil syn. blend in my 150 vmax hpdi. burns very clean, little smoke if at all, good price at wally world,:)fin

My boats previous owner used this and so do I.  My HPDI is turned 10 this year and still has very little smoke.  Honestly, the relatively small amounts of oil that get used/burned I think any TCW3 oil would be fine.  My previous boats got Yamalube religiously but I've never heard of any oil related problems from anyone using any of the other brands.

I do still use Ring Free and that's even a smaller concentration so I'm not sure it makes any difference vs something cheaper either???

I did my own "testing" years ago when I was having trouble with my yam 90 fouling plugs. Without a doubt Pennzoil Premier Plus was the cleanest burning in my motor so all I still use to this day.... Merc quicksilver was most problematic and Yamalube close second.  Again this was my motor, your mileage may vary...best place I've found it is Advanced Auto when they have it on sale it like $15.

Just about Walmart, auto store, even gas stations carries it so its always available in a pinch which I like. I personally think picking something and sticking with it is best course of action, and you can always find it. 

On March 29, 2017 at 9:50 PM, triplec said:

I agree it smokes more, and for lubrication purposes that might be a good one. But fouling plugs and loading up with carbon ain't good either and that's a by product of that smokey stuff atleast it was in mine. My meachanic doesn't sell either and he said it doesn't matter use whatever is on sale but make sure  on using ring free in the old two smokes and run em hard.  They all have different opinions.  

Do your own testing and see what works for you but for sure don't use cost as a deciding foactor. 

Had 300 hpdis on my SeaVee and used Yamalube and ring free, trolling for billfish all day of South Texas, head home from 70 miles out and engines won't run up, finally get on plane runs rough for a couple miles then fine. 2 days later same thing, had to change out 12 fouled plugs 60 miles out in 4 ft seas. Dealer checked engines twice and said were oiling correctly. Switched to Pennzoil full synthetic and had no more problems over 600 hrs of running. Used same oil subsequently in Prowler with twin 200 hpdis used same way, never fouled a plug. Say goodbye to Yamalube.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:16 PM, blue dolphin said:

Had 300 hpdis on my SeaVee and used Yamalube and ring free, trolling for billfish all day of South Texas, head home from 70 miles out and engines won't run up, finally get on plane runs rough for a couple miles then fine. 2 days later same thing, had to change out 12 fouled plugs 60 miles out in 4 ft seas. Dealer checked engines twice and said were oiling correctly. Switched to Pennzoil full synthetic and had no more problems over 600 hrs of running. Used same oil subsequently in Prowler with twin 200 hpdis used same way, never fouled a plug. Say goodbye to Yamalube.

Have heard this problem before. Shame that the oil Yamaha recommends created that problem in that engine.

Archived