Yamaha 2 Stroke oil

gambler1

"Switched to Pennzoil full synthetic and had no more problems over 600 hrs of running"

Hummm.....switched to Pennzoil full synthetic, which has NO mineral oil as it's base. Carbon is a major ingredient of mineral based oil, which is what causes carbon build up in the piston rings, which is what causes sticking rings. Not good. That is in addition to fouled spark plugs "blue dolphin" mentioned. I'm wondering if that's why Yamaha "ring free" so is recommended. Just thinking....

1 hour ago, DonV said:

"Switched to Pennzoil full synthetic and had no more problems over 600 hrs of running"

Hummm.....switched to Pennzoil full synthetic, which has NO mineral oil as it's base. Carbon is a major ingredient of mineral based oil, which is what causes carbon build up in the piston rings, which is what causes sticking rings. Not good. That is in addition to fouled spark plugs "blue dolphin" mentioned. I'm wondering if that's why Yamaha "ring free" so is recommended. Just thinking....

Are you saying full synthetic will not cause carbon buildup on 2 stroke outboards? I'm no guru by any means but wouldn't it be run more than it is for that reason alone? Seems more people are looking to use the 'cheapest' oil they can get by with these days. I use ring free sporadically but haven't given much thought into running synthetic.

I used full synthetic as the lead mechanic at the best Yamaha dealer in Deep South Texas told me that he saw more engine failures with cheap yellow oil, I was not aware it had no mineral content at the time I used it. I am aware that full synthetic 4 stroke oil is made from natural gas. The 300s were new when I went through the fouling issue for perhaps the first 100 hrs, then switched. As time went on I stop using ring free with no apparent problems up to the time I sold the boat. The 200s were used when I bought the boat, one had a new power head replaced under warranty, the other about 600 hrs, previous owner was not a boat guy and relied on a mechanic to do his service so I have no idea what kind of oil or how frequently it was serviced. That being said I used full syn Pennzoil without ring free for the two yrs I owned it until my Freeman was delivered. Had no issues with motors. On offshore trips, the motors are never shut off, so lots of low rpm time. Day trips motors run continuously for 10-12 hrs, overnight oil rig trip 30 hrs continuous use. 300 Hpdis oil at 30-35:1 ratio, using 375 gals of fuel meant carrying an extra 7-8 gals of oil on an overnight. Don't miss that.

Some technical data to read on XD100 Evinrude full synthetic versus the Amsoil HD full synthetic. See page #4 for some info on ring sticking.  

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g2968.pdf

In any case I look at the cost difference of full synthetic as the cost of a Paul Brown lure (the puffer fish's favorite lure) for a little peace of mind. There is not a better two stroke than the new eTec G2 and they only allow full synthetic, my new car only allows full synthetic, I don't know much, but I don't think it's a gimmick.

Amsoil has two options on their synthetic oil, I only use the top of the line Amsoil HP because one of my engines is DFI and I buy by the case just the one type of oil. One of those "each to their own" discussions.

Archived