Goodland, Florida

Davej

There isn't much on the island of Goodland but it sure is pretty there. Very similar fishing to the areas just south of there. I usually drive there and back from my place in Chokoloskee when I fish that area. Call the ship store and ask for recommended places to stay-

http://www.colliergov.net/your-government/divisions-f-r/parks-and-recreation/beaches-and-boats/goodland-boating-park

http://theshipstore.com/home/the-ship-store-at-goodland-boating-park-marina-naples-fl/

I work on Marco which is about 5 minutes from Goodland, there's plenty of places to stay and eat on Marco although pricey, both places have ramps although I prefer goodland's. There's a few places to eat in goodland, like Stan's. You'll be in the upper part of the 10k islands, further south you run, fewer boats you'll see.

You could stay at Port of the Islands Resort , it just up the road from there. They got a great ramp, marina store w/bait, leave your boat in a slip, or trailered, and they have a restaraunt in the resort. I just stayed there for a few days for the March opening of snook season. Only draw back is the long idle zone. The fishing is great there as well and you can head north to Goodland once your out the pass or south towards Everglades City/Chokoloskee. 

55 minutes ago, Davej said:

Thanks, I'll check Port of the Islands out.

Great hotel for fishing...floating docks...as Coto said...I call it "Port of the Idle"...it's a good 45 min idle....so, bring cigars or your favorite beverage to sip on the way back in....I used to use the time to rig rods, etc. on the way out...and a smoke a stogie on the way back in.....but it has, quick access to the gulf and points...

Watch the channels at low tide...but, other than that..you are fine...

DC

18 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Great hotel for fishing...floating docks...as Coto said...I call it "Port of the Idle"...it's a good 45 min idle

LOL....Yep cup of coffee on the way out and a beer on the way in. If ya got a teenage son like me it's a good time to talk about man stuff.

• 1 month later...

You can run to the outside POI channel from Goodland faster than you can idle from POI to the outside. Plus, in Goodland you have quick access to Marco amenities like Publix, Ace, etc.

If you decide on Goodland PM me. I'm there most every weekend. Not catching many fish these days, though...

On March 30, 2017 at 7:20 AM, conocean said:

There isn't much on the island of Goodland but it sure is pretty there. Very similar fishing to the areas just south of there. I usually drive there and back from my place in Chokoloskee when I fish that area. Call the ship store and ask for recommended places to stay-

http://www.colliergov.net/your-government/divisions-f-r/parks-and-recreation/beaches-and-boats/goodland-boating-park

http://theshipstore.com/home/the-ship-store-at-goodland-boating-park-marina-naples-fl/

Conocean, I didn't know that you live in Chokoloskee , that is where I wanted to retire but things changed over the years and I have a pretty good feeling that I will remain in Valrico until all three of my grand children are adults or I kick the bucket . I have not fished down there in many years I will bother you about places to stay eat and fish before I head down again . Joe R

1 hour ago, Davej said:

Yeah.....even VRBO is pretty slim.Might look for a place in Marco and ride down.

Understand it's literally a 5 minute drive from anywhere on Marco, there are a few "cheaper" hotels on Marco but they ain't cheap.

I love Goodland, I'd buy there in a second, it reminds me of the keys 30 years ago.

On 3/30/2017 at 7:11 AM, Davej said:

Anyone fish down in the Goodland area?

Thinking about making a trip down there, but I don't know the area, and would need some advice on where to stay, fish, and dining suggestions.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BTW,

As an alternative, you can stay Everglades Rod and Gun or stay on the island just off of it....or, stay at the Everglades City Motel and launch at the Rod and Gun and head out the channel..it's a deep well market channel...no issues...head out to the end then head north or south for fishing....

Just an alternative to Port of the Islands....

DC

Let me know before you head down to Choko again, Joe! I'm down there about 5-10 days each month, sometimes more. I'd be glad to take a black marker to your Hot Spot map, give you some lodging suggestions & tell you what's good to eat down there....and what to stay away from!

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DaveC said:

Everglades City Motel did some room renovations and is a pretty decent little place to stay.  And that puts you close to plenty of places to eat and its casual for sure! 

Was just there last weekend...they are doing a major tenting for termites it looks like...so, afterwards, should be a great place to stay :)

dc

Archived