What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

This may have been done on here before, and I know there's a thread like this on THT, so let's roll with it. Yes, I'm bored this morning.

I actually did this last night, but it almost ended up in the "today".  I replaced both of the garboard drains/plugs with Seadog stainless drains and captured plugs. The tunnel hull takes two  this is the 4th boat I've installed these one. They are great items.

IMG_0212.JPG

• Like 1

I cleaned up my boat, as good as one can at a marina and put it on the dry rack in Englewood.  Left for home the next day (Thursday). I hate being without my boat at home, there are so many things that I could be doing. But, I guess it's not worth hauling it 300 miles round trip, just for 15 days.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

This may have been done on here before, and I know there's a thread like this on THT, so let's roll with it. Yes, I'm bored this morning.

I actually did this last night, but it almost ended up in the "today".  I replaced both of the garboard drains/plugs with Seadog stainless drains and captured plugs. The tunnel hull takes two  this is the 4th boat I've installed these one. They are great items.

IMG_0212.JPG

Does the three holes line up with the factory three holes in the original garboard plug?

1 hour ago, Dale Nelson said:

Does the three holes line up with the factory three holes in the original garboard plug?

They're close but not exact. I've never found a non-factory plug that exactly matches. I just rotated 60degrees and drilled new holes. Used plenty of quick setting 5200 and it's ready to drop in the water. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

IMG_0212.JPG

Where's you ordered them from?

Installed a Atlas Hole-Shot/Splash Plate today.  Ended up cutting and filing down the 8" splash plate for a custom fit on my non-typical jack plate setup.  Like others said today, I will wait until after the 4th to test because there are too many crazy holiday boaters on the water now.  Happy Independence Day everyone!

Atlas_Hole-shot_Plate1.jpg

Atlas_Hole-shot_Plate2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Installed a Atlas Hole-Shot/Splash Plate today.  Ended up cutting and filing down the 8" splash plate for a custom fit on my non-typical jack plate setup.  Like others said today, I will wait until after the 4th to test because there are too many crazy holiday boaters on the water now.  Happy Independence Day everyone!

Atlas_Hole-shot_Plate1.jpg

Atlas_Hole-shot_Plate2.jpg

Care to explain what exactly this is/does? I've never seen one. 

A jack plate added to the transom of a boat is like adding a scoop that catches and funnels water through itself because it is practically hollow.  Adding a hole-shot plate to the bottom of your jack plate prevents water from getting caught up in the JP and causing drag when you throttle up on plane, thereby providing a quicker hole-shot (time to plane from a stand-still).  Adding a hole-shot plate will also prevent excessive water from gushing up through the jack plate and coming up into the transom splash well, when coming off of a plane as well.

Hhhmmmmm.  That is a new one on me too!  Makes sense tho.  I assume this prevents water from running up around the jp motor?  If it prevents water from being "scooped" up there, if some water does get up there, I assume there is a way for that water to drain?  It looks like water can still drain down around the edges?  Are you going to be able to see/measure/feel any performance gains?  So, the only real performance benefit is a quicker hole shot?   How much did the plate cost?

Google "Hole shot plates for Allison boats" and then click "images".  There are lots of ideas and designs. You will be looking for hours on a rainy day!!

There are lots of designs out there to see. They help fast boats get up on plane quicker as the plate acts like a trim tab (some are stationary and others are hydraulically (sp?) actuated.) Others like Geeviam's help with getting on plane as water does not get trapped inside the jackplate acting as a scoop when you hammer it to get on plane. It may be miniscule but every little bit helps when you are trying to get on plane quickly. They plate also helps when coming off plane with back wash coming over the transom.

• Like 3