Trolling Motor Recommendations (15' Maverick HPX)

fishing212

I OWN A 15FT hpx AND HAVE A 55 MINN KOTA MANUEL.  It is plenty of power for the little boat + it only a 12v system.  I didn't put mine on the bow ,because I wanted a clean platform for casting and there isn't much room up there.  A bow mount also would interfere  with the lights and hatch.  55 power will do the trick.

• 1 month later...

I have a Minn Kota Riptide 70 Copilot (which I originally had on a previous boat) on the bow of my 15 HPX.  I love the overall performance but I dislike having a 24 volt (2 battery) set-up due to weight and storage concerns. I originally rigged this motor on the boat as a 12 volt system but found that it was inadequate for motoring into a strong current in a headwind. The motor is on a handy MinnKota removable mount, so I can take it off when I don't need it. Theoretically, I believe you could angle it so that it would not interfere with your forward hatch, but mine was mounted using holes from a previous set-up so my forward hatch only opens about 3/4 of the way. As it is, there is still plenty of fishing room on the forward deck and I still have access into the forward compartment. I considered mounting it on the stern but hatch clearances become an issue. Also, my push pole is on the left side and would interfere with the trolling motor. On right side of the stern, the control cable outlet takes up the space you would need in order to mount it over there. I've been told that it is slightly more difficult to control the boat with a stern mount versus a bow mount, but I suppose that depends a lot upon whether you intend to do a lot of maneuvering in strong currents. If you don't frequently fish in strong currents and winds, I'd go with the 55 /12 volt with the Copilot.

If I was doing it all over I would have gone with a battery from lithium pros. I have an 18hpx and currently run a 24v system. I could have gone with a SINGLE 36v lithium battery and have had way more power and saved a ton of weight. If I were you I would consider a 24v lithium battery and a 24v motor. 

I run 2 36 volt lithium batteries (from lithium pros) in parallel on my boat and while its nice and Ill never run out of power fishing multiple days, its also not cheap :/

As for the OP, whats the reason for the ipilot link? Unless you are linking to the GPS the link will be a waste. IMO its something people rarely use anyway. 55lb standard ipilot should be perfect.

Archived