Replacing Treble Hooks with Inline Hooks

Big Dave

For those of you who replace the treble hooks on top water lures with inline hooks, do you replace the front hook facing forward or backward? I have always faced both hooks backward to avoide snags in floating grass. But, another angler recently suggested that the front hook should face forward so it won't lay flat against the body of lure when retrieving. Any experience with successful hook up ratios either way--more fish caught on the rear hook versus front hook or viceaversa under either configuration?

I can tell you this. Many years ago Mirrorlure introduced the 52 M series as the swinging single. It was not well received and soon discontinued.

I have not had good luck with changing hooks out. I now just snip off one of the treble legs and make it a 2 hook treble rig and then mash down the barbs. I hate treble hooks to begin with but there must be something to them. Dang never every lure maker uses them.

PS do not google "lure swinging single":o

If you change out trebles for singles you will reduce your hook ups, especially with top waters which can be tough for solid hook sets because of the plug erratic movements.  I also hate to use trebles,but on certain applications they are the beat approach.  Mash barbs for an easier release and reduce chance of getting hooked yourself.  BTW always have a hook cutter on board,and make sure it will cut what you are using.

About every other year I get hooked.  This was last June while perch jigging but a stripper of about 18" liked it too.  Trying to unhook he hooked me.  One hook in me and the other still in a flopping around fish didn't feel to good.  Luckily it was a small hook push it through then cut.  I've tried  j hooks on top water and the hook ups are at least half just mash the barbs now.   

0601171623.jpg

Changed out a few and lure behaves differently (in my view worse). Hate trebles, but sometimes - mostly topwater- better hook ups.  Had the fish on one hook, me on the other a few times. Worst was a 15lb King..that hurt for weeks (I don't troll those plugs anymore). Then the morning with a Ladyfish, called wife, drove home with one hand..biggest concern was the rusty side cutters they used at the ER.   These are not the type of fishing memories I wish to repeat :)

Archived