200 SHO tuned ECM results

HoneyB

1 hour ago, NCTribute said:

I asked Simon in the other thread if they had a 200 hp and 250 hp tune and he replied that they did. My interest was in the tuner you can buy from them and you store the stock tune on it. So you can go back and forth yourself. I have no desire for 330 hp. But am curious if their 200 hp and 250 hp tunes are much different than the stock tunes. You can meet the power at whatever rpm spec, but playing with the torque curve you can have a ‘power bulge’ at other rpm points that can make the acceleration feel totally different. 

I work with ‘yellow’ engines, you can have the same power spec at x rpm, but it can have a genset torque curve, an over the road torque curve or an construction vehicle torque curve, for example. They all will perform differently.

I don't know that there is a different tune for each NCT, as I understand they "all" got to 320 h.p. with the tune. Look on their website under marine tunes and each graph has a pop up when you hover over it, showing the gain in h.p. and tq. So HoneyB gained a lot more than I will, and I will gain a lot more than a guy with the F300 will.....Obviously.

Torque graph Nizpro reflash V 250SHO.JPG

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think you are misinterpreting what I am saying, they have a tune that is a 320 hp tune, but they will also provide tunes that only get to 250 or 200 hp, just like the stock engines have different hp tunes.

Graph is a little confusing, has SHO 250 in the top legend and 200 SHO in the other legend, and swaps indicated colors. A little sloppy for the Engineer in me.

18 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

Think you are misinterpreting what I am saying, they have a tune that is a 320 hp tune, but they will also provide tunes that only get to 250 or 200 hp, just like the stock engines have different hp tunes.

Graph is a little confusing, has SHO 250 in the top legend and 200 SHO in the other legend, and swaps indicated colors. A little sloppy for the Engineer in me.

No, I know what you meant. You're asking if you can make your 200 or 225 only make 250 versus 320. The graph is definitely sloppy, but again, in their eyes the base engine doesn't matter, they see 4.2 liter SHO, not 200, 225, 250 SHO. The end result no matter the stock power level, is 320 h.p. I've asked that same question a dozen times and got told the same thing as I am trying to tell you. I could be wrong in that they have other tunes, but that is not what has been conveyed to me.

Plot, if anyone is interested. BradM, I asked Simon if they could provide a tune that was 250 hp and he said yes. So maybe conflicting info.

Peak power of the stock 250 is 273-274 @ 5100 rpm and is 263-264 @ 5500 rpm. Peak power of the Nizpro is 331-332 @ 5500 rpm. So just shifting the peak power point up 400 rpm will help with top speed numbers for the same power rating. To my earlier point, it might be that a Nizpro tune of 250 will get to a higher top speed than the stock 250 tune, but the holeshot (for sure) and mid range (depends) might not be tremendously different.

For reliability, bear in mind bearing life is a function of the bearing capacity divided by the actual load to the 3.33 power and speed is a divisor. So small changes in load with addititional speed make a significant reduction in bearing life.

Think the graph also shows why so many people get stuck at 5300-5500 rpm, while others get close to 6000 rpm with similar setups, if you can get through the power valley you can pick up power again.

EC20AF20-A602-468B-8183-56F166412E94.jpeg

Update from a couple of questions. Simon Preformance motorsports does bump the limiter to 6700 but does not take it completly off. on horse power question the answer was " we guarantee 300hp but you may get more our of it. Maybe as far as 325 at the prop". on the dyno sheet she said .. sorry but no sheet to offer :)

1 hour ago, NCTribute said:

Plot, if anyone is interested. BradM, I asked Simon if they could provide a tune that was 250 hp and he said yes. So maybe conflicting info.

Peak power of the stock 250 is 273-274 @ 5100 rpm and is 263-264 @ 5500 rpm. Peak power of the Nizpro is 331-332 @ 5500 rpm. So just shifting the peak power point up 400 rpm will help with top speed numbers for the same power rating. To my earlier point, it might be that a Nizpro tune of 250 will get to a higher top speed than the stock 250 tune, but the holeshot (for sure) and mid range (depends) might not be tremendously different.

For reliability, bear in mind bearing life is a function of the bearing capacity divided by the actual load to the 3.33 power and speed is a divisor. So small changes in load with addititional speed make a significant reduction in bearing life.

Think the graph also shows why so many people get stuck at 5300-5500 rpm, while others get close to 6000 rpm with similar setups, if you can get through the power valley you can pick up power again.

EC20AF20-A602-468B-8183-56F166412E94.jpeg

So a stock 250sho makes a real world 275HP.  From what I've read here we better not let the insurance companies know that! xD 

I have one hanging off the back of my rig right now. I’m in Jax., a little south of you. Bravo 1 FS in 22p and basically like new. It’s not for sale, but if you wanted to run one before deciding, I’m sure we can figure it out. 

Hey Brad I would love to figure out the logistics and try running your prop. I will shoot you a pm. 

I ran another 21 tempest today. I wanted to get data on a non worked 21 pitch. It proves the 22 I got from prop gods is kinda a dud. I was running back up to 60.5 /61mph. And turning over 6500 rpm. I pulled the stick back at 6500. I swear I think I can turn a 23 but that 22 Ken sent me throws a monkey wrench in my thinking. 

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if you could turn a 23. What are the guys with your boat and a 300 (can you do that) running? I know if I ever pull the tune trigger, I’ll check out what the guys with the 23/300 are running and go from there. 

With that being said, I run right around 63 mph at 6,100 rpm with the Bravo on a 250 SHO. You may be able to swing that prop in 24”, with all the power you have. At least you can get a feel for it. I’ll keep an eye out for your message. 

4 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

The numbers with the 22 tempest don't make any sense to me. Confusing for sure.

I know I thought it was going to be a quick run to prove I could turn a 23 and it was to say the least a dud! Time to trial a bravo , peps looking out for me so more results to come 

5 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I know I thought it was going to be a quick run to prove I could turn a 23 and it was to say the least a dud! Time to trial a bravo , peps looking out for me so more results to come 

She’s in the box and ready to go. I’ll send the tracking info to your email around lunch time tomorrow. I threw all the stuff in there to run the hub that’s in it, so you’re good there. I hope she flies for ya! 

19 minutes ago, BradM said:

She’s in the box and ready to go. I’ll send the tracking info to your email around lunch time tomorrow. I threw all the stuff in there to run the hub that’s in it, so you’re good there. I hope she flies for ya! 

roger that, I preciate ya!!

Shout out to BradM for allowing me to trial his own prop. 

Prop #3. Bravo 1fs 22 pitch Getting pretty close to the right one I think. Top speed 62.5 at 6200rpm. This prop has all the hole shot one could ever want and still delivers wot speeds the same as a three blade tempest plus. I did add 10 gallons of rec 90 fuel to replace the gas from previous trials. I was trying to keep things even for the different props. Also very windy today. This did not help since I have a huge t top. The wind did however make a small chop on the river which may have helped in wot speeds. 

Also of note the speed and rpm were spot on  from about 4500 and up. By this I mean 4500rpm was 45 mph 5000rpm was equal to50mph and so on

Running at speed of about 32 mph the mpg was 4.1. 

Today’s prop test only cost me one 80quart Engle cooler. I had a friend meet me at the ramp and we ran his boat first. Once we got back to launch mine I was light one Engle cooler with pathfinder logo. I think I will start a go fund me to see if I can replace it :(

DB2142CE-7EAB-4769-9F34-09CBA66F9017.jpeg

5 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Shout out to BradM for allowing me to trial his own prop. 

Prop #3. Bravo 1fs 22 pitch Getting pretty close to the right one I think. Top speed 62.5 at 6200rpm. This prop has all the hole shot one could ever want and still delivers wot speeds the same as a three blade tempest plus. I did add 10 gallons of rec 90 fuel to replace the gas from previous trials. I was trying to keep things even for the different props. Also very windy today. This did not help since I have a huge t top. The wind did however make a small chop on the river which may have helped in wot speeds. 

Also of note the speed and rpm were spot on  from about 4500 and up. By this I mean 4500rpm was 45 mph 5000rpm was equal to50mph and so on

Running at speed of about 32 mph the mpg was 4.1. 

Today’s prop test only cost me one 80quart Engle cooler. I had a friend meet me at the ramp and we ran his boat first. Once we got back to launch mine I was light one Engle cooler with pathfinder logo. I think I will start a go fund me to see if I can replace it :(

DB2142CE-7EAB-4769-9F34-09CBA66F9017.jpeg

The a-hole thieves at Houlihan got your cooler? That would piss me off, big time.

Yeah Hewes I was pretty pissed!! But you know I’m the one who left it unattended in the middle of the day at a public ramp. There were some non boat cars and trucks there. My thought is as soon as they saw us prop one boat and leave they knew they had time for a grab. 

I asked a couple of guys fishing on the dock if they saw anyone around my boat they said no why.   I said somebody stole my cooler. One guy who looked like a painter by trade said awe man *** you need a beer or something? I said No I need my 300 dollar cooler back!! I thought he was gonna fall off the dock lol! 

Archived