yamaha keys are universal????

waterman7474

So I just ordered some back up keys for an older 01 yamaha ignition.  Got the code off the key and order a few on amazon thinking I would need to cut them when I got them.  Lo and behold...the same cut out of the package. 

I guess anyone can just order a pile of yamaha keys and steal boats???

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Doesn't really matter.

A thief can buy a key switch assembly with key and simply plug it into the harness and away you go.

Takes about 5 seconds.

Right.....that seems kind of painfully obvious suddenly when I read that. 

I guess in the 35years I've been boating, I'm a little shocked I haven't heard of more boats stolen

53 minutes ago, waterman7474 said:

guess in the 35years I've been boating, I'm a little shocked I haven't heard of more boats stolen

Most of the boats stolen, espeically in south florida are not driven off the water....thieves show up, hook up to a trailer, run to a remote area, cut off the engines off the transome, cut out the electronics, load everything into a van, and drive off....two big guyz and a lift inside a van and you are gone........takes about 10 min with the new high powered 36 v sawzalls....

dc

On 3/15/2019 at 10:54 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Most of the boats stolen, espeically in south florida are not driven off the water....thieves show up, hook up to a trailer, run to a remote area, cut off the engines off the transome, cut out the electronics, load everything into a van, and drive off....two big guyz and a lift inside a van and you are gone........takes about 10 min with the new high powered 36 v sawzalls....

dc

This scares the hell out of me considering I'm going to Florida next week and need to park my truck, boat and trailer somewhere for a few days. 

12 hours ago, knotthereelworld said:

This scares the hell out of me considering I'm going to Florida next week and need to park my truck, boat and trailer somewhere for a few days. 

I was dragging my prized bbq pit across the country for a cook off and I was worried about the same thing at random hotels on the highway.  I did a locking pin, lock on trailer neck latch and then put a short chain through one rim and a bar of the trailer so to that the wheel coudn't really turn or be taken off, then backed it up to a wall or in between trucks.  I suppose someone could have unscrewed the ball from the truck and or replaced the wheel but that would have been a lot of work. 

Archived