Tire Question

East Coast Dave

Quick question about tires....  I need to replace tires on both trailers.  What tires are you guys running and are they trailer tire or are you going with something different?  One trailer hauls a HPX and the other is 23 HPS?  Was sure if trailer tires were required legal God forbid there was accident etc.

Thanks again!

I used to buy maxxis. Last spring I went to the normal place I use and he says nope can’t get maxxis. Perplexed I went to four or five shops. No one could get one, much less a set of four. I am not sure why I can not find them here around Savannah but nobody could source them. I ended up buying a Goodyear trailer tire and so far I like it better than the maxxis. 

After 2 blowouts last year driving to the keys from Maryland I knew i needed better tires.  After some research found a Goodyear tire made in the USA with a high speed rating.  Goodyear Endurance ST215/75R 14, load range D 2,200 pounds and a speed rating of 87 MPH.  Got them on Amazon for $107.25 free shipping. 

I don't have a brand preference but you want to get the best you can afford in my opinion. Have had several blowouts trailering various boats, equipment, etc. over the years and the higher quality ones seem to last longer and are less likely to give out. 

I went the cheaper route for a while and spent too much time fixing them on the side of the road.  Never again. 

A larger wheel / tire will also help with trailering. 

and if your trailer sits a lot, they look dumb but those rv tire covers can save a lot of UV wear and degradation.  I was in Vegas for 12 years and I didn't cover my tires one summer and I had 3 that developed bubbles and deformities.  They can seriously extend the life of tires, especially when they don't get rotated/run often. 

5 hours ago, q0rban said:

Was talking with someone who's been a vessel transporter for 30 years, and he highly recommended Arisun trailer tires.

Bought some last year. They are steel belted and when you fill with air to the 48 -50 psi the tread is totally flat edge to edge, not rounded. The rounded tread found on most all the cheap bias ply tires cause the outside edges of the tires to wear first. Seems backwards to me, however as the tire rolls the road's surface will make the tire's surface flat for that instant which means the tires are always flexing edge to edge. The secret is the steel belts! I would say I've got 1200 miles on them so far, no problems and the wear is great!!!

I'm using MAXXIs. Buy them on the internet and take them to my local tire dealer(who doesn't carry Maxxis)  and have them mounted and balanced.  I change my tires every two years even when they look great. This is for my trip to Fl from MD every year. Keep the pressure at 50# and rest at ease. I leave in 6 days for a month  at SGI with brand new MAXXIS I'm transporting an RF18 on an aluminium trailer

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Maxxis is the only brand I would put on my trailer.

I did like the Maxxis but when no one local could source them I bought the Goodyear Endurance. If I tear one up I know I can replace it. They are in my opinion every bit as good as the Maxxis tires are. 

If was a Maxxis 8008 guy forever until last year. I had a tread seperate and while it was covered under warranty the nearest authorized dealer who could change the tire under warranty was in the Tampa area. I live in Homestead.  They are great tires no doubt and I think that was my 3rd or 4th pair but I switched to the Goodyear Endurance radials Incase I had another issue... there’s Goodyear shops everywhere. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, waterman7474 said:

and if your trailer sits a lot, they look dumb but those rv tire covers can save a lot of UV wear and degradation.  I was in Vegas for 12 years and I didn't cover my tires one summer and I had 3 that developed bubbles and deformities.  They can seriously extend the life of tires, especially when they don't get rotated/run often. 

Have been using covers for years in Florida. My trailer sits idle a great majority of the time and feel it is good insurance against UV damage.

Archived