18HPX Palm Bch boat show special

conocean

On 3/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, flatsdoctor said:

And still needs the Power pole (at least one), the remote Trolling motor and the stereo/speakers.

By the time I,m done, it'll be over $70K 

Beautiful rig 

Tax $6K, PP $2.5, Simrad $2.5 , TM $2.5, stereo and misc: $2K $15K+58=$73K....right on it Doc...

So, my MA1995 shall be willed to my children :)

along with my 100 lb Sulcata tortoise :)

dc

Bought my 2002 RF18  brand new for 27,300

Bought my 2007 17 HPXV brand new for 29,000

I can't touch either of the two brand new at today's MSRP. 

Yeah, my RF21 is an 2001 and I am thankful for the price I got it for, I can only imagine if they were still made what the price of one would be. 

15 minutes ago, Coto said:

Bought my 2002 RF18  brand new for 27,300

Bought my 2007 17 HPXV brand new for 29,000

I can't touch either of the two brand new at today's MSRP. 

Yeah, my RF21 is an 2001 and I am thankful for the price I got it for, I can only imagine if they were still made what the price of one would be. 

if anyone is doing the math, thats double in 11 yrs.  

But inflation is stagnant 1.5 %

Sadly Groceries would give boat price escalation a run for its money

11 minutes ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

You got that right! I can't get out of the grocery store for less than $225 each week.

I have 5 kids.  Can you imagine what we pay?   A new HPX would be cheap compared to that bill!  But I am hardly complaining.  I wouldnt have it any other way.  Got the best of both worlds, great kids and a classic, if broken, boat!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, redzone1 said:

lotta profit in those 18 HPX’s!  they make a 22TRS look like a steal when comparing price per square foot of material 

Not even close to the same thing, in materials (carbon/Kevlar vs. glass) or build process (traditional lay-up vs. resin infusion/vacuum) Someone in Ft Myers needs to post the price on that Carbon HPS 23! I think that would be a better price per foot comparison. I agree though, they have become amazingly expensive, not just MBG stuff but all of them. 

• Like 1

The conglomerate I work for builds custom yachts and sells the materials & hardware needed to build any skiff. I guesstimate the materials to build an 18HPX are about 40% of the retail cost. That doesn’t include labor to assemble & finish as well as the cost of the molds, re-tooling and the extensive research & development costs that go into every hull design. Then factor in the commission that the MBG dealers are paid for each unit they sell. There’s honestly not nearly the amount of profit in these skiffs as most people think there is. Bad *** toys are expensive! 

• Like 2

Now into April, new plant is cranking out all lines, MA 26 I bet is starting to move forward. I know this was discussed a few months back, but I bet it will be over $100K?? Price per LF with infusion/ carbon/kevlar etc...I'll be looking to get into that in 2029+! Hopefully it will be wheel chair accessible...lol. 

My world with 3 kids is all about the 7-10+ year old boats if I'm lucky. For example, I keep seeing 24' TRS's for $60+K that are 2014!  To me that shows the quality in PF, but is still crazy money for a 5 year old boat. 

I'm seeing more and more guys down here in SW Fl buying old hulls and completely redoing everything and getting a "new" boat for $40-50K. It's all about connections. (Aquasport 222, Dorado, T-Craft etc...)  I know that's not for everyone,  but it sure makes since if you're not scared to gut a boat down to the stringers and starting over. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Now into April, new plant is cranking out all lines, MA 26 I bet is starting to move forward. I know this was discussed a few months back, but I bet it will be over $100K?? Price per LF with infusion/ carbon/kevlar etc...I'll be looking to get into that in 2029+! Hopefully it will be wheel chair accessible...lol. 

My world with 3 kids is all about the 7-10+ year old boats if I'm lucky. For example, I keep seeing 24' TRS's for $60+K that are 2014!  To me that shows the quality in PF, but is still crazy money for a 5 year old boat. 

I'm seeing more and more guys down here in SW Fl buying old hulls and completely redoing everything and getting a "new" boat for $40-50K. It's all about connections. (Aquasport 222, Dorado, T-Craft etc...)  I know that's not for everyone,  but it sure makes since if you're not scared to gut a boat down to the stringers and starting over. 

That's kind of how I landed where I did on fixing my MA.   It made absolutely no sense, financially, to dump that much money into a 19 year old boat until I looked at my alternatives.  At the end of the day I had these choices:

1) Fix my boat, which is exactly the boat I wanted, and end up losing 10K on it if I had to turn around and sell it.   And that's assuming the 19 year old engine is as bullet proof as I think it is.  

2) Dump it as is and find another MA and hope that it didn't have issues of its own - I would still be out 10K and hoping there wasn't a lurking problem.

3) Strip my boat down completely, and go find a brand new hull to put the rigging/equipment on - I looked at Egret actually - but the bare hull was 37K.   Not an option and it would be an expensive frankenstein.

4)  Dump my boat and buy a new boat and be out 50K, and then enjoy that wonderfully steep depreciation curve that comes with that "new boat smell"

5)  Sell the boat, cut my losses, and take up knitting.   

I just hope that MBG builds quality boats that really will last several lifetimes.   I think about the Potter hull seacrafts, the old Makos (in their good years),, and some of the other boats that really are worth gutting and restoring.   I really hope that these 50-75K flats boats of today become the gems of tomorrow that people are restoring back to their original grandeur.   That would make it all worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

That's kind of how I landed where I did on fixing my MA.   It made absolutely no sense, financially, to dump that much money into a 19 year old boat until I looked at my alternatives.  At the end of the day I had these choices:

1) Fix my boat, which is exactly the boat I wanted, and end up losing 10K on it if I had to turn around and sell it.   And that's assuming the 19 year old engine is as bullet proof as I think it is.  

2) Dump it as is and find another MA and hope that it didn't have issues of its own - I would still be out 10K and hoping there wasn't a lurking problem.

3) Strip my boat down completely, and go find a brand new hull to put the rigging/equipment on - I looked at Egret actually - but the bare hull was 37K.   Not an option and it would be an expensive frankenstein.

4)  Dump my boat and buy a new boat and be out 50K, and then enjoy that wonderfully steep depreciation curve that comes with that "new boat smell"

5)  Sell the boat, cut my losses, and take up knitting.   

I just hope that MBG builds quality boats that really will last several lifetimes.   I think about the Potter hull seacrafts, the old Makos (in their good years),, and some of the other boats that really are worth gutting and restoring.   I really hope that these 50-75K flats boats of today become the gems of tomorrow that people are restoring back to their original grandeur.   That would make it all worthwhile.

Exactly...we will just keep picking up the MBG scraps. It's always about having cash in hand, traveling and patience. I'm leaning on a complete rebuild as you can pay as you go and everything will be new when finished. I'll be getting into something this year.