18HPX Palm Bch boat show special

conocean

On 4/2/2019 at 5:50 AM, jason p said:

I agree though, they have become amazingly expensive, not just MBG stuff but all of them. 

I THINK IT'S CALLED SUPPLY AND DEMAND :)

Remember, MBG stands 100% behind their products....many of the other, 2nd tier makers do not, nor do they have a dealer network to support fisherman and boatres.

Any of us here can go ahead and build our own HPX, Marquessa, ECC, and a handful of other skiffs....so, why not do it ???  :) 

Hmmmmmm....might cost you more than $70K.......

DC

On 4/2/2019 at 7:19 AM, conocean said:

The conglomerate I work for builds custom yachts and sells the materials & hardware needed to build any skiff. I guesstimate the materials to build an 18HPX are about 40% of the retail cost. That doesn’t include labor to assemble & finish as well as the cost of the molds, re-tooling and the extensive research & development costs that go into every hull design. Then factor in the commission that the MBG dealers are paid for each unit they sell. There’s honestly not nearly the amount of profit in these skiffs as most people think there is. Bad *** toys are expensive! 

Ding ding ding...another winner winner chicken dinner......

Expensive...yes, but, as I mentioned above....SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

DC

I totally agree. When you see the pics and video of the new factory it’s a wonder that the MBG can pay the bills selling them for as little as they do. It’s a testament to the leadership’s business acumen for sure. There’s really very little margin in this business no matter what the purchase price. 

1 hour ago, jason p said:

There’s really very little margin in this business no matter what the purchase price. 

That's the truth. Hence the reason there are only a couple custom builders that utilize a dealer network; they can't afford to pay a commission & pay themselves a decent rate. 

We build custom 77' & 86' S/F yachts at Merritt's and the profit margin is slim especially once you take the 3 year build time into consideration. 

I have a buddy that buys damaged boats thru coparts. He has different trades make repairs and he sells them ince fixed up. He is saving buyers 15-30 grand and is making 10 grand or better. Not a bad gig. Hard to justify new boat prices for the working man these days. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...