Removing glue under carpet.

Happy Lappy

It may depend on age and how the boat was stored.  I tried Goo-gone on mine but had much better luck with a heat gun and scrapper.  If you use the heat gun be cautious and dont get the surface too hot - it can harm the gel coat.  Also, I didnt get mine that clean but I was installing seadek under the gunnels.

I have said it before and I will say it again, PAINT REMOVER. It will not affect the gel coat, put it on with a chip brush and wipe away in minutes. EASY PEASY! I know a lot of people think it will cause damage to the surface, it does not, just don't leave it on for an extended period of time. You will see the glue peeling up and you just wipe away. Use protective gloves.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 12:42 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I have said it before and I will say it again, PAINT REMOVER. It will not affect the gel coat, put it on with a chip brush and wipe away in minutes. EASY PEASY! I know a lot of people think it will cause damage to the surface, it does not, just don't leave it on for an extended period of time. You will see the glue peeling up and you just wipe away. Use protective gloves.

What brand are you using?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:20 AM, AGlass said:

I bought this last night at my local Ace Hardware. I'll have some time this weekend to give it a try. Thank you all for the help. I'll try to give a progress update soon.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:15 PM, East Coast Dave said:

This stuff works awesome! You can get it at Ace. 

4D97B99B-FF8D-4362-8126-D02366B15475.jpeg

ECD: You are da bomb....this stuff worked great...I forgot to take some before and after...been working on getting the glue off for a while.

More to come :)

thank you for posting this....

DC

10 hours ago, Big Dave said:

So, that's how you get it OFF--what do you use to secure the new carpet to the under gunnels (or to secure loose carpet corners)?

A couple of the fishing forums recommend contact cement....I bought some in HD...the above will also work....trying to decide how to get it back on or just go with SEA-DECK

dc