Braided Line Questions

rubble

I have several reels I need to re-spool with Braid so I need to pick up some large quantities.  What seems to be the best bang for the buck?  Was looking at a bait shop this weekend and prices are all over the place and there were a ton of brands out there.  I've had lots of luck with dark Power Pro but I've also had issues with line Digging in the spool after a good fight.  Vicious claims that their line doesn't do that.  Don't know about others.  Just looking for recommendations.

Also, I'll be picking up line that is all under 20lb.  Should I be looking at the Braid test or the braid diameter compared to Mono?  For example, most will say diameter equal to 14lb mono but I'm sure is a higher test strength.  So, go with 14 lb test braid or 14lb mono diameter equivalent?  

I use SPIDERWIRE  ULTRACAST  INVISI-BRAID - clear, for all my inshore/bay fishing. Usually 20 pound with a 20 pound mono leader.  A little pricey, but never had any difficulties. I tried a few others, but always came back. I really don’t know, but it feels different to me. Probably all in my mind.

• Like 1

Line diameter has to do with how many yards of line you  can get on the spool.  Braid is smaller  diameter for the same lb. test line so it will hold more yards of braid than mono.

10 lb test is 10lb test regardless of material.

If you are after IGFA records the lb. test is the maximum that it can break. Most lines advertise the minimum that it will break. Ande tournament green monofilament is the only brand I know that advertises maximum breaking strength.  Don't know much about a IGFA braid.

I have never replaced the braid on my reels. When the line gets about 1/8" below the lip of the spool, I just tie onto the remaining line and add about 200 ft. or until the line is even with the lip. Been dong this for many years and never had a problem.

Most of the research I've done on braided line, says that it brakes at about 175% of it's rated breaking capacity. So, 10 lb. braid will brake at about 15 lbs. and 20 lb. braid will break at 35 lbs. There is lots of braided line out there. I have been using Power Pro since it first came out.

• Like 1

Rubble....this is the classic Ginger or Mary Ann question.....

I was a PP user for many years until a Capt Friend of mine suggested Suffix 832....been there since.....but, again, most of the problems I believe are due to fisherman/user error....not hand closing the reel, etc. will result in wind knots, how you cast and handle the rod, etc. etc.

If I would be going PP I would go with he the PP Super Slick as it's the newest ....the 832 Suffix  10lb is what I've been using, caught the big girl snook on it a few weeks ago with a Penn Battle II and it worked just fine....

To be honest, in 15 years of the back country fishing (I never used braid offshore for Mahi or snapper fishing due to the fact in a heated fight, it can wrap a loop and catch a finger, and you'll loose it with a 20-30 lb Mahi on the end), I have lost a fish due to the "line breaking"....it normally is due to (1) fish went into the mangroves (2) knot at leader broke with braid (3) knot a hook or lure broke (4) knot at popping cork broke....

But, I can honestly say, it never broker as it was ripping off line, suddenly in the middle of run....I have had situations where it has just snapped when casting a lure, but, I believe it's because it was nicked and not due to line just snapping...

for what it's worth......

BTW, I also put a 1/4 " of mono backing (usually) if required to minimize the amount of line....i have never had a backcountry fish spool out more than 25 -30 yards of line...I don't tarpon fish (caveat)....I also buy minimum 300 yard spools, 600 yards are best so you don't run out when spooling....

I also use the silicon reel spray....I find it helps with casting distance and keeps the line supple....I will spray a shot each trip before casting....make a long cast and then spray the inside....reel back on....seems to help....

dc

• Like 1

I use the standard pp, 10# inshore and I buy 1200 yard spools from Cabella. Historically they have the best pricing on bulk spools and charge no tax online. I am not sure now because of the bass pro purchase but check it out. I also buy the hivis yellow because I am old and can’t see. 

• Like 1

I have been using Power Pro for years and have tried several others and keep coming back. Recently, I tried their new Max-Quattro. It only has 4 carriers and is quite a bit thinner than the regular.  I am in love again. The 20# is like thread. Handled  33.5” snook with no problem. I’ve fished it 6 or 7 times, so far, I am impressed!

Was using Fins Windtamer for a long time. Buddy recommended Daiwa J braid x8 and recently got a spool. Really impressed. Recently got a spool of regular power pole on sale. Still not a fan. Took it off and put it on a rarely used reel.  Definitely digs in way more than Fins or Daiwa. 

Not sure  about pricing. Don’t get to fish enough to change line often enough to worry about price much. 

What seems to be the best color for hi-vis?  I've used Hi-Vis Yellow and it has been fine. Always tie on a clear leader.  The Super Slick comes in a Marine Blue and Aqua Green that both seem like they would be easy to see but in low light conditions how are they?  

I’m not too brand loyal one way or the other but usually end up with power pro but will branch out of there’s a sale.People love to get wrapped up on docks, oysters etc so I end up having to trim some off the end regularly.

Even with 10lb braid it is usually the 15 or 20lb leader that breaks first.

all my setups are in pair( 2 2500 setups, 2 4000 etc) and use blue on one and yellow on the other to differentiate who has what bait out with 2 anglers fishing.

I use green power pro on all my spinning reels. If you buy 1500 yard spools it's a lot less dough. Stradic 3000s get 15 lb, Cabo 60s get 40 pound. I instruct my angling guests to work the bails manually, which seems to help with wind knots.  Green seems to catch more fish than yellow, don't ask me why, but it is harder to see, especially in low light.  Good luck!

• Like 1

PP Super8Slick for me on all my inshore set-ups. I started a color code system years ago to visually identify line weights at a glance. Yellow is 10#, brown is 15#, blue is 20#, green is 30. I've found that pairing the right line weight with each combo, including lure weight, changes the game when it comes to maximizing casting distance, control and minimizing wind knots. I haven't found color to matter in terms of spooking fish, but I do use a long fluorocarbon leader at all times. The FG knot is my go to knot for the braid to leader connection, it's amazing! Goes through the guides like it almost isn't there and allows you to extend the fluorocarbon leader without hang-ups. The FG is more like a splice than a knot, highly recommend it if you don't already use it. Just make sure you cinch it! I've never blown an FG knot with a fish on.

• 1 year later...

Personally I like standard Power Pro. Power Pro super 8 slick V2 is another great option for spinning reels.  I do not think their is a need to use a braided line under 20 pound test. Even when bass fishing with light soft plastics I use a 20 pound braided line and it cast a far distance. I do add a 5 foot fluorocarbon leader though. The slightly larger diameter might help the line from digging into itself. Here is a article I recently wrote about the best braided fishing lines. A 20 pound braid is equivalent to the diameter of a 6 pound monofilament fishing line.