Clogged drain holes under seat cushion

knotthereelworld

2003 RF 18. The two drains in each of the corners under the seat cushion are clogged. I have tried running a wire into them, blasting water into them with a hose to clear the clog and using sink/pipe clogging solution. Nothing seems to unclog them. If I have the cover off and it rains, water collects there under the seat edge. Any suggestions or ideas as to how I can get these drains cleared?

I'm assuming these drain into the bilge?

Thanks!

The drainage system on my 2003 HPX-V looks like the tunnels from an ant farm; I can't figure out where they all go but they end up in the bilge. They drain but VERY over an hour or so. There are so many sharp bends, I can't snake them all of the way through. 

Any other ideas? Anything safe to pour in there to unclog?

6 hours ago, Foulhook said:

The drainage system on my 2003 HPX-V looks like the tunnels from an ant farm; I can't figure out where they all go but they end up in the bilge. They drain but VERY over an hour or so. There are so many sharp bends, I can't snake them all of the way through. 

Any other ideas? Anything safe to pour in there to unclog?

Have you tried something like weed-whacker line or steal leader?

2 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Have you tried something like weed-whacker line or steal leader?

Yeah, I tried a piece of wire today and then as I was tracing, realized 3 of the drains plumb to a single drain tube that comes out behind the trim tab piston. I can't get to it without taking off the piston so I gave up for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, knotthereelworld said:

Just tried the pressure washer yesterday. Didn't clear it!

Not sure your exact configuration but on my Maverick, 2 drain holes are plummet to 1 "T" connection and then out to a single drain. I had to use a rubber plug to plug 1 hole and then stick the water hose down the other hole to get the amount of pressure needed to clear out the old leaves and who knows what else was in there. Mine are clean as a whistle now so hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Foulhook said:

Not sure your exact configuration but on my Maverick, 2 drain holes are plummet to 1 "T" connection and then out to a single drain. I had to use a rubber plug to plug 1 hole and then stick the water hose down the other hole to get the amount of pressure needed to clear out the old leaves and who knows what else was in there. Mine are clean as a whistle now so hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll try it out

On 6/28/2019 at 4:17 PM, knotthereelworld said:

2003 RF 18. The two drains in each of the corners under the seat cushion are clogged. I have tried running a wire into them, blasting water into them with a hose to clear the clog and using sink/pipe clogging solution. Nothing seems to unclog them. If I have the cover off and it rains, water collects there under the seat edge. Any suggestions or ideas as to how I can get these drains cleared?

I'm assuming these drain into the bilge?

Thanks!

Question? Is this a new to you boat or have you owned it since new?  If a pressure washer wont blow through and nothing else short of that has worked it makes me wonder it there isnt a kink or something in the hoses. Did this just happen?( the not draining)? 

On 8/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, Northfl said:

Question? Is this a new to you boat or have you owned it since new?  If a pressure washer wont blow through and nothing else short of that has worked it makes me wonder it there isnt a kink or something in the hoses. Did this just happen?( the not draining)? 

Bought it the very beginning of this year. Have never seen it properly drain. I'd love to find a configuration of how it drains from there. 

Today I realized the rod holders in the gunnel don't drain either. Not sure if they are supposed to. I blew the water into each one and all sorts of leaves and green skunky water came out. At least it's replaced with cleaner water now haha

I have this issue regularly with my drains on all my hatches. In my situation it's caused by grass, sand, shells, etc. from catching bait on the flats. They get washed into the smaller drains and clog up. The best solution I have found is muratic acid. I pour a small amount into the drains and let it sit. Be careful not to spill it and I generally use a funnel to make sure it just goes into the drain itself. It will generally start smoking as it melts away whatever is in the drain. Sometimes it takes multiple applications. That in combination with a metal coat hanger will generally clear them up. Make sure whenever you're done to thoroughly wash out the drains and surrounding area with clean water. 

Josh B.