Recommendation on Fishing Kayaks

rubble

Considering purchasing and rigging a kayak. Have some family that have them and love them. They are on a private lake and fish them all the time. Thought it would be fun to have one out at their place and to take to FL for some backwater fishing. 

Looking for recommendations on a good kayak. Stable for a big angler. Is it better to go with a paddle or pedal version?  Are any better for saltwater or are they capable of fresh and salt?

I have had a bunch over the years. 3 Hobies, couple Ocean Kayaks a Native and one Perception. I have been in the Wilderness Kayaks as well but I didn't find them to be as stable as the Hobie or Ocean Kayak. You get what you pay for and for the Hobies ya gonna pay  but the two Hobie Outbacks I had were my absolute favorite. I am a big angler and found them to be very stable. Hard to be stable and fast though but for us fisherman, speed isn't usually what we are a hunting. With stability for large anglers also comes a heavier kayak if toting it a long distance that's consideration too. Upgrade to the turbo fins on the Hobie if you go with Hobie. Necessary for those big Outback models in the areas where the currents running. 

Having had both I much prefer peddle over paddle if they are for fishing. All the top brands are going to be set up for marine environment.  Ocean K's prowler and big game are stable as well but not as fast to me as the Hobie. The Native and Perception I had were paddle and the Hobie all peddle so I cannot speak to the Native peddle propulsion. Everyone is different though so I much suggest going to a store that has the ability to let you try them or rent them. Not sure where you are located but over near Sarasota is a good one that has water access or used to and in Jacksonville is Black Creek Outfitters and they are water access as well. They have their own dock and will set up anything you want to try and you will know right quick what you like and don't.  I tried a bunch there and highly recommend them if in NE Florida. If you are patient there are used ones popping up quite a bit as a lot of kayakers are moving to the SUPs and selling their kayaks. 

I have been kayak fishing for about 10 years now and love it.  It is very stealthy and I seem to catch more fish from my kayak than my Pathfinder.  Also wash down after a day of kayaking is 20 or 30 minutes rather that an hour or so.

What ever kayak you get and there are many brands and different types, for fishing the sit on top (SOT) is the only way to go.  It allows for easy in and out, can sit cross wise with your legs in the water while working a point and easier to get in if you capsize.

I have had paddle type and peddle type and definitely would recommend the peddle type.  It leaves your hands free to hold a fishing rod, camera, net or whatever.  I only have experience with Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks and have owned 2 Revolution 13's and one Outback.  

The Outback is wider than the Revolution and so more stable.  Both the Revolution and the Outback are more affordable than the Pro Angler models which are big, stable, heavy (2 people to load and unload) and expensive.  I haven't been on one, but fished with my neighbor who has one.

I'm 6'-1" and 185 lbs. and 68 years old, and chose the Revolution over the Outback for efficiency through the water, making it a little faster by design.

One last recommendation, avoid tandem kayaks.  Just causes directional arguments.  They are sometimes referred to a divorce makers.

Check out Hobie's line up at https://www.hobie.com/

That's my $.02.

Dan