My stolen Pathfinder recovered

justfish

On 7/15/2019 at 4:22 PM, HewesYourDaddy said:

I hope they allowed you to keep the knife. My parent's house was broken into once. The dirtbags only got caught because they tried to kill a gas station attendant during a robbery in Brunswick. One of the items they stole from the house was a watch that the Navy gave my dad for being the top aviator of the year. Even though he described the watch (during the initial investigation) and it had his initials on it, the Chatham County police (yes, I'm calling them out here) wouldn't let him have it back because it wasn't 100% identifiable to him. Glad to see the boat recovered, hope the perps get a good jail sentence, and hope this gives you some closure.

I'll never understand why police side with criminals on situations like this with regards to property. My parents house was broken into years ago by a teenage girl who stole clothes from my sister, some jewelry from my mother and a large jar of change from my room. The police told us we couldn't have any of our stuff back unless we identified exactly what the jewelry, clothing and the exact amount of change in the jar. My mom didn't know exactly what jewelry was gone because she had a bunch of it, my sister didn't know exactly what clothes were gone because she had lots and I had no freaking clue exactly how much change was in the jar. I told the cops that the girl should be forced to give back what we think is ours or repay us for it and then some, she's the one that broke the law! They refused and we didn't get any of it back. Made no sense to me whatsoever and still infuriates me to this day. I guess the crook gets to keep it? 

I understand the frustration but understand it isn't the cop telling you that that made that rule. They are just the messenger for the bureaucracy that is the US legal system.  The system is stacked towards defense teams and suspects. And returning property is a whole nother issue because of the civil implications if they give someone back the wrong stuff. Bug your state reps to make the system more in line with what it should be. 

Here's a brief view of a General Sessions Case.  Officer makes arrest, suspect has bond hearing next day, then a preliminary hearing ( judge rules if there's probable cause to hold over), the a grand jury hearing ( grand jury can dismiss charges or have it bound over),  then the attorneys start the let's make a deal process. 

The answers given by the boots on the street and the detective all come down from command staff or other higher up ( or the ever present attorney).

If you really want to see frustration try being a property manager in South Carolina and evicting a tenant. That might make the Pope curse

• 2 weeks later...