NEED HELP! Pics of used 17 MA.....

Latchkey85

4 hours ago, DavisIslander said:

Hello Marine!  This Retired Navy Chief thanks you for your service.  With that being said, let this "RUST BUCKET go

Being a fishermen, I would encourage you to use that patience we all posses (being fishermen and all).  THIS IS NOT THE BOAT!

I took over a year to find my Redfisher 18 and there were times (oh yes) that I wanted to buy with my smaller brain and not my BIG brain.  As previously mentioned, it will probably cost you a cool $5-8K to get it to where you're happy with it; so many others out there are more deserving of your time/energy/effort.

Keep searching and have confidence with the market. 

I'm standing by to offer assistance, as we all are!  There's a reason we love MBG boats, and there's a reason NOT to buy one!  So many red flags.

BTW, any shipboard duty?

Seems to be the over-arching trend in responses....I think I'm gong to take all of ya'lls (I was stationed in North Carolina) advice and pass on this boat.  Thanks for your standing offer to help....It's much appreciated.  No ship duty for me.  I took a plane to Iraq and spent 7 months in and around Fallujah.  For much of the mid to late 2000s, a lot of the Marine Expeditionary Units (MEUs) weren't even going on ship.  They were flying to Iraq or Afghanistan; my roommate was on the 24th MEU and spent 9 months in Kalsu, south of Baghdad.   

• Thanks 1

Alright everyone.....I'd like to thank you all with all the help and advice.  You guys have opened my eyes to a lot of stuff that I hadn't foreseen, which is exactly what I had hoped to do by starting this thread.  A buddy of mine put me in touch with his friend who has a 2000 21 MA up here in the North East.   I will be fishing the same waters as him and he urged me to find a 21 Master Angler for this region (I'm considering 22 Pathfinder since I fished out of one for 3 days last October and loved it; but prefer the deck layout of the MA).  His reasoning was that I will be able to fish more days and will be able to cross bigger water in a 21 than in the 17 or 18.5.  Plus he said I'll still be able to get shallow and pole it (although it will be harder to do so).  

I'm definitely not going to purchase the boat I originally posted about.  My wife just gave me the green light to purchase a boat and that was one that popped up on the first search since I really got serious about a purchase.  I think I will do like DavisIsander did and keep my eye on classifieds, do more research, etc and take more time before pulling the trigger.  

I did email Maverick Boats and got a reply from Skip Lyshon who told me that no Master Anglers where produced using VARIS and that Kevlar was an option that very few people opted for.  I just wanted to share that in case anyone else has the same question.  

Please feel free to PM me if anyone comes across a 2004 or newer 21 MA.  I know that everything else being equal, a newer year boat will cost more, but I would like the hull that was designed with the beefed up transom.  Fair winds and following seas guys! 

• Like 1

there is a difference in passing and realizing its value to you.

if you have the ability and time for a project it never hurts to offer a ridiculously low price. if the marina is selling it they might only want what is owed if it has outstanding dockage fees.

10,000 up front and 8,000 to make her what she needs to be. but it will be a project that you must want to do.

no mention of  a trailer so that could be another couple grand.

Often on the forum when people pass for one reason or another they will post information about the boat incase someone is  looking for a  project, which this definitely is.

1 minute ago, smilemaker said:

there is a difference in passing and realizing its value to you.

if you have the ability and time for a project it never hurts to offer a ridiculously low price. if the marina is selling it they might only want what is owed if it has outstanding dockage fees.

10,000 up front and 8,000 to make her what she needs to be. but it will be a project that you must want to do.

no mention of  a trailer so that could be another couple grand.

Often on the forum when people pass for one reason or another they will post information about the boat incase someone is  looking for a  project, which this definitely is.

Makes sense, and I completely agree.  This would be the great boat to do it to, but you would have to get it for the right price (obviously), there is no trailer, so that is another factor.  I think I would go back and make an offer but at this point, to do all the fishing that I want to do, I really need an 21 MA or 22 Pathfinder.  Here is a link to the boat.  

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2008-maverick-boat-co-17-master-angler-7331083/

1 hour ago, Latchkey85 said:

Plus he said I'll still be able to get shallow and pole it (although it will be harder to do so).  

You must work out in the gym everyday if you think you are going to pole a 21 MA around, I think you are going to find quick that that is not an easy task. Those boats were designed more for the live baiting angler with trolling motor than one stalking the flats sight casting for reds and bonefish. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Latchkey85 said:

Plus he said I'll still be able to get shallow and pole it (although it will be harder to do so).  

You will not "pole" a MA21...it might be a controlled drift...it's big, heavy, and not easily pushed with a push pole....Trolling motor, YES.

Here is what I would suggest as my final advice:

1.) Contact all the MHP dealers from NC to Florida and let them know you are in the market for a USED MA or Pathfinder.  Many times, an owner wants to move up or down in size and if they know you are in the market, they can do a trade with the client for a new boat, with a back to back sale to you.

2.) MHP dealers are reputable, and with enough pictures, an engine check, of course an indpendent survey, you can get pretty close to finding the boat you want without spending alot of driving time to Florida.

3.) Once you find it, pull the trigger and come get her, or, MHP has companies which transport boats to the Northeast.

If there is a specific boat here in South Florida, many times, if it is close, a forum member will run by and take a quick look at something listed in THT, Classifieds, or this forum/Boat Trader.

Take your time and something will come up....

Good luck and enjoy the hunt for a new mistress....

dc

To be clear, I've never attempted to pole a 21, but am curious if they really can't be poled short distances to work specific areas.  (I've never ridden on one either, but would love to).   Troy - Would love your real world reaction to "it can' t be poled"  -  I spoke to Latchkey and he's not poling over long flats - more like around here - fairly short distances.   Can that be done on a 21 reasonably?   People say you can't pole an 18.5 MA, but I do it regularly in the summers.   It isn't easy in a wind or against tide, but for the type of marsh fishing I do, it's very very do-able, especially with occasional "assists" from my ipilot between schools.   I suppose the 21 is a LOT more boat, so if it can't be poled, Latch, you should probably know that based on what you shared with me.   

That boat’s over a ton with fuel and outboard sitting in the water....so, you’ll be poling a ton of weight ( literally ) from a single point , being the poling platform...it’s 8’ wide so it’s dragging like a barge.... when I moved up from my 17’ MA to the 22 PF  ( which is a very similar hull as the 21’ MA )  and made an attempt at poling in swift Georgia tidal water.....I bought a MK 112 lb 36 volt trolling motor.

I’m too old to pole a boat that big ....once you see a Redfish and try to sight cast to it....you realize you can no longer raise your arms 😎🎣

• Like 1

Latchkey85,

Let me put my 2 cents in if I may.  I have been a member here for about 3 years now.  I do not own an MBG product.  Everyone on this forum including the mods will be honest and truthful.  3 years ago I had the opportunity to look at a 2004 18MA beautifully named "Smurfette", she was in excellent condition.  I drove 8 hours round trip to look at her and wet test her.  At no fault of the owner, I had to walk away for personal reasons.  He was asking 24,500 if my memory serves me correctly.  I gladly would have paid that and more.  What I would like to make clear is that the boats that you see for sale on this forum have been owned for most likely 10-15 years by the current owner.  Just because a boat is within an hours drive doesn't mean you have to buy or should buy.  Based on those pics I would not have even looked at it for that amount of money.  Smurfette was in perfect fishing condition, based on what you showed that thing would a complete overhaul and like linesider stated, you would have an easy 30-35K init before you were done.  

Take your time and look around, there are a lot of boats out there and while the MA's are sometimes hard to find, they can be found.  I chose to got a different route with my recent purchase but that's because a happy wife equals a happy life....☺️  who knows, maybe one day I will be an MA or RF owner.....but right know I am an Avid owner...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Agreed, I sold a 99 in 10x better shape for 16k, had an 04 Df140. I'd run from that mess from the pics, unless it was super cheap, thing looks neglected and you will NOT be happy with the 115 on that boat.

Thanks for this info.  The more I hear about what year sold for what, in a certain condition helps me get a feel for the market.  And I was curious about whether the 115 would be enough power so I’m glad you mentioned that.

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You will not "pole" a MA21...it might be a controlled drift...it's big, heavy, and not easily pushed with a push pole....Trolling motor, YES.

Here is what I would suggest as my final advice:

1.) Contact all the MHP dealers from NC to Florida and let them know you are in the market for a USED MA or Pathfinder.  Many times, an owner wants to move up or down in size and if they know you are in the market, they can do a trade with the client for a new boat, with a back to back sale to you.

2.) MHP dealers are reputable, and with enough pictures, an engine check, of course an indpendent survey, you can get pretty close to finding the boat you want without spending alot of driving time to Florida.

3.) Once you find it, pull the trigger and come get her, or, MHP has companies which transport boats to the Northeast.

If there is a specific boat here in South Florida, many times, if it is close, a forum member will run by and take a quick look at something listed in THT, Classifieds, or this forum/Boat Trader.

Take your time and something will come up....

Good luck and enjoy the hunt for a new mistress....

dc

Never in a million years would I have thought of this.  It’s a great idea too bc the dealers probably keep lists of all the people they sold boats to and therefore; have ways to contact them.  Sort of like how car dealers send letters out saying they want to buy your car back and get you a deal on a new one.   

2 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

That boat’s over a ton with fuel and outboard sitting in the water....so, you’ll be poling a ton of weight ( literally ) from a single point , being the poling platform...it’s 8’ wide so it’s dragging like a barge.... when I moved up from my 17’ MA to the 22 PF  ( which is a very similar hull as the 21’ MA )  and made an attempt at poling in swift Georgia tidal water.....I bought a MK 112 lb 36 volt trolling motor.

I’m too old to pole a boat that big ....once you see a Redfish and try to sight cast to it....you realize you can no longer raise your arms 😎🎣

You put it in perspective....a lot of times I find myself looking at the Hull weight and think, “I can probably pole that” but then I neglect to factor in outboard, fuel, batteries, etc.  If I do go with the 21, I might opt for an inflatable SUP and  if I want to fish skinny water, just motor to a flat and then use an inflatable SUP.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Latchkey85,

Let me put my 2 cents in if I may.  I have been a member here for about 3 years now.  I do not own an MBG product.  Everyone on this forum including the mods will be honest and truthful.  3 years ago I had the opportunity to look at a 2004 18MA beautifully named "Smurfette", she was in excellent condition.  I drove 8 hours round trip to look at her and wet test her.  At no fault of the owner, I had to walk away for personal reasons.  He was asking 24,500 if my memory serves me correctly.  I gladly would have paid that and more.  What I would like to make clear is that the boats that you see for sale on this forum have been owned for most likely 10-15 years by the current owner.  Just because a boat is within an hours drive doesn't mean you have to buy or should buy.  Based on those pics I would not have even looked at it for that amount of money.  Smurfette was in perfect fishing condition, based on what you showed that thing would a complete overhaul and like linesider stated, you would have an easy 30-35K init before you were done.  

Take your time and look around, there are a lot of boats out there and while the MA's are sometimes hard to find, they can be found.  I chose to got a different route with my recent purchase but that's because a happy wife equals a happy life....☺️  who knows, maybe one day I will be an MA or RF owner.....but right know I am an Avid owner...

Thanks Racer.  I’m definitely gonna utilize this forum as the main source of my search....the bots are so well maintained and like the Striper forum I’m on up here where rods, reels, plugs, etc are routinely sold and traded, there is a high level of credibility among the members.  Nobody on that forum will sell or post something which is misrepresented.  Their credibility will go out the window.  I checked out that Avid....it’s a nice boat! 

Just so everyone gets a better idea of what I am looking to do....here is a video which was made by a guy who fishes the same areas within the region as I do.  There are small flats like this all over the North East. 

Edited by Latchkey85
clarify the location
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Latchkey85 said:

Thanks Racer.  I’m definitely gonna utilize this forum as the main source of my search....the bots are so well maintained and like the Striper forum I’m on up here where rods, reels, plugs, etc are routinely sold and traded, there is a high level of credibility among the members.  Nobody on that forum will sell or post something which is misrepresented.  Their credibility will go out the window.  I checked out that Avid....it’s a nice boat! 

Thanks Dude, I'll post pics once I have her home....I posted company pics and that is a no no, I forgot!!!🙃

• Like 1

One other thing, if you are looking to get super skinny and have a pleasurable poling experience, Master Angler, if any size is not your boat. I moved from South FL to North FL's tidal creeks, I've pushed/lifted my 17MA numerous times to get out of a Creek, not fun. If you want a big wide, stable platform that you are on, not in, with incredible storage and a great ride and a ton livewell space, MA are your boat. Can you pole a 17/18, sure, I did many times. Is it easy, nope, not at all. I'd hate to have to push a 21 all day, but I'd own one in an instant if the opportunity arose.

• Like 1

Also, don’t be afraid of flying out to see a boat and then having it shipped back. My last 3 boats I had shipped from Texas, Louisiana, and again Louisiana. Just last week I paid $750 to ship one from Texas to Clearwater fl (a 16 hour drive).

Be patient in boat buying, but if the right boat pops up and you sit and think about it you will be too late. I’m in the industry, and we have waiting lists for brand new boats before they are coming off the truck

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FLDXT said:

One other thing, if you are looking to get super skinny and have a pleasurable poling experience, Master Angler, if any size is not your boat. I moved from South FL to North FL's tidal creeks, I've pushed/lifted my 17MA numerous times to get out of a Creek, not fun. If you want a big wide, stable platform that you are on, not in, with incredible storage and a great ride and a ton livewell space, MA are your boat. Can you pole a 17/18, sure, I did many times. Is it easy, nope, not at all. I'd hate to have to push a 21 all day, but I'd own one in an instant if the opportunity arose.

Not looking to get shallower than a foot.  Looking for something that I can pole around in 2-3 feet for short distances.  Obviously, there are times and areas that I would benefit from a trawling motor.  I'd be using the storage and deck space 90% of the time instead of something with a 6 inch draft.  Therefore I think the MA is best suited for 90% of the fishing I would be doing. 

14 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Also, don’t be afraid of flying out to see a boat and then having it shipped back. My last 3 boats I had shipped from Texas, Louisiana, and again Louisiana. Just last week I paid $750 to ship one from Texas to Clearwater fl (a 16 hour drive).

Be patient in boat buying, but if the right boat pops up and you sit and think about it you will be too late. I’m in the industry, and we have waiting lists for brand new boats before they are coming off the truck

I am definitely willing, and probably will do this if I find the right boat.  I live 17 hours by car to Ft Lauderdale, so I would think that shipping an 18-21 foot boat up hear would be at most $1000-$1500.  That's a price I'd be willing to pay to get a boat that was cared for and maintained. 

Also, the boat in that video I posted was a MA 21.  The guide had the length listed on his website before he sold the boat and stopped guiding.  If you see the part in the video where he's driving, the trailer has two axles, which would also indicate a 21.  This guide used to specialize in site fishing up in Rhode Island/Cape Cod and would pole his 21.  Granted, there is no wind in the video and i'm sure that wind would be a game changer.  Probably not easy to do anyway, but like I said, the "flats" we have up here are not that big.  You have to motor around, pull up to a flat, pole for a little, check for fish, the motor to next one.  You get a chance to take a break and rest.  I'm going to try to get on a MA 21 and push it just to get an idea of what I'm up against. 

• Like 1