S&W M&P 22 LR pistol?

Shallowminded6

I havent seen much on these types of topics, if it is not allowed or even discouraged I will delete. But I am interested in some opinions on .22 LR pistols, I am thinking of buying a S&W .22LR which is an almost clone of my shield 9mm. Anyone have any suggestions of brand, make, model, etc.? Want a .22 pistol to help teach my wife, so if there is a better one I am willing to change. Noticed in comments of other threads that there are some really experienced shooters here. Interested in thoughts. 

If you are starting to shoot from scratch like say beginner targets browning makes great 22 pistols For that. If you are thinking about teaching defense fundamentals you will be happy w the m&p style especially if she wants to move up in Caliber say to a 9mm like you and I have. Might sound basic but One of the biggest things is hand size and weight.  The pistol should fit and not be overly heavy (have a wife and 2 grown daughters...all were very different in their needs)  for the user.  Lots of good choices if you can find the ammo.  A good shop w lots of options should help narrow down the proper fit for her.  Best of luck. hutch

• Like 2

Just my opinion but a small compact 380 is great for a concealed weapon as well as manageable for a woman. Very little recoil, nice hand fit. My wife who hates any kind of weapon took to the 380 with ease.

I am experienced but not expert(shooting for 25+yrs) where she has only shot a few guns a few times at most. She will probably move up in caliber after becoming perficient and comfortable shooting. She hasnt shot much before, I was thinking .22 so we can shoot a bunch and not have a reverse mortgage due to ammo prices(gives me reason for new gun too). Afterwards will shop for a pistol she would want to have as hers and carry if she wants to. 

Take her to a range where they have rental guns and let her shoot several .22s. She'll end up picking one that fits her hand and, frankly, she likes.  The worst thing you can do is choose for her!  The diminutive .22, even if and after she moves up in caliber for self defense, should remain in the safe for plinking and training purposes.  Remember, good rimfire shooting habits translate to centerfire!  Most importantly, get her a lesson or several, hopefully with a certified female pistol instructor.  It'll make a difference long term and might just save your marriage.  JMO    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drummer said:

Take her to a range where they have rental guns and let her shoot several .22s. She'll end up picking one that fits her hand and, frankly, she likes.  The worst thing you can do is choose for her!  The diminutive .22, even if and after she moves up in caliber for self defense, should remain in the safe for plinking and training purposes.  Remember, good rimfire shooting habits translate to centerfire!  Most importantly, get her a lesson or several, hopefully with a certified female pistol instructor.  It'll make a difference long term and might just save your marriage.  JMO    

My gf wanted to shoot and was terrified of guns, I took it easy on her and started with .22's and now she is a confident shooter. I have 6 different .22's in my stable. Her favorite is the new Taurus TX-22 with 16 round mag. It is similar to your shield in design and function. Her second favorite is the beretta neos with a 6" barrel. About 2 months my sister took an interest in shooting so I took the Taurus and we went to the range. She is a natural and wants to shoot more. Starting a new shooter with a .22 is a no brainer for me. Once they master the basics and become proficient they can move up in caliber if they want later. Rural King has the Taurus for a little under $300 right now, I think I saw $268?

P.S. Don't 'buy' her a gun because you think it will work for her, let her test drive several before buying one 'she' likes. Ask me how I know, that's how I ended up with a half dozen! LOL

• Like 1

22 LR is about the "ONLY" caliber you can find....every website for 9mm is sold out or wants $600-800 / K

I wish I had kept my Glock43 as I could have installed a conversion kit to 22LR for practice.

I have not been to the range in months, as I don't shoot USPSA or Steel Challenge anymore due to the cost of ammo.

I can afford $200/k, but, $600 is too steep for a hobby.

DC

• Like 2

Lurem was spot on with his opinion. I honestly forgot about the availability of ammo. I think my stockage is fine as I usually don’t go to the range much anymore except for my yearly zeroing of my scopes prior to hunting season. As far as saving your marriage, That’s a question by itself. If you teach her to shoot then feel confident she won’t make you suffer lol.

Glad I asked and appreciate the opinions. The Shield was a bit of a selfish thought as it would double as a trainer for me and my concealed pistol along with her shooting. Will take her and let her pick one out even though I wouldnt be upset having to buy a few different ones, good point, her hand is probably half the size of mine. Like the idea of female instructor and saving marriage haha, I dont think it would impact us but outside advice is sometimes easier to hear. Any personal experiences with specific pistols, good or bad, would also be appreciated. Im sure they are somewhat prone to jamming as it happens with rimfires in general more than center. 

• Like 1

Looks like you're fairly squared away with what you're looking for, but thought I'd chime in with my two cents. 

I got a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite a few years back and I absolutely love it!  Super accurate (like really), next to zero perceived recoil, and loads of fun to shoot.  It only likes high velocity ammo so if you're plinking cans you won't know if you hit it or not cause the rounds go through so fast it doesn't even move the can.  Heck it makes holes in clay targets rather than breaking them right away.  I know this wasn't what you were looking for, but I think I heard you mention maybe picking up some other guns too, so maybe take a look at this one.  Other things you may like, it's the light weight version of the match grade target pistol, available in multiple colors, has two 10 rnd magazines, and comes from the factory with a threaded barrel making it ideal if you'd like to install a can (that HV ammo has a lot more crack to it that the regular LR).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Does the ruger mark IV jam bad with Remington Golden bullet grade ammo so you have to use CCI or something of the like? 

To be honest, I don't remember exactly which brand I have run through it, I know it's been several types (I don't think I've run CCI in this caliber).  As long as it's high velocity, it has cycled it all well.  I have tried regular velocity .22 LR ammo and that will cause it to stove pipe or fail to load next round most times. 

• Like 1

As a owner of multiple handguns, #1 look at Lurems post. He hit it spot on. If you start off with to high of a caliber , she WILL be scared of it. We all know what’s good or not but a simple 22 will build her confidence. Then she will be willing to try a larger handgun. My wife weighs maybe 115 pounds and hates weapons with a passion BUT let me put her Dads 22 magnum pistol ( he passed awhile back) and she’s spot on. I’m not a fan of revolvers but she doesn’t have the arm strength to pull the receiver back to put one in the chamber. Bite the bullet and let HER pick what’s comfortable to her ( as we all look at what WE want lol and soon she’ll be wanting a law ( light anti tank weapon).Just say yes dear lol.....( sleep well if you ever piss her off lol )

5 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Does the ruger mark IV jam bad with Remington Golden bullet grade ammo so you have to use CCI or something of the like? 

Remington rimfire ammo, if it even shoots, is the most unreliable I have every seen.  Seriously, I have seen 3 out of 10, with a good primer strike, not fire. Really low quality stuff.  Federal can be bad at times as well, and their low cost stuff is dirty. CCI is good for plinking. Wolf and SK, which are made by Lapua, are great subsonic loads if you want accuracy on a budget. If you are loaded with dough, get Lapua or Eley.  Some guys love RWS, I have never had a gun that loved it.  JMO  

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

22 LR is about the "ONLY" caliber you can find....every website for 9mm is sold out or wants $600-800 / K

I wish I had kept my Glock43 as I could have installed a conversion kit to 22LR for practice.

I have not been to the range in months, as I don't shoot USPSA or Steel Challenge anymore due to the cost of ammo.

I can afford $200/k, but, $600 is too steep for a hobby.

DC

Dino, I hate to hear this.  You were REALLY getting dialed in with that CZ!  Ammo prices will return to normal, as they always do. This election has folks panicked. 

1 minute ago, Drummer said:

Dino, I hate to hear this.  You were REALLY getting dialed in with that CZ!  Ammo prices will return to normal, as they always do. This election has folks panicked. 

Yeah, I'm really PO'd about it....but, i was banging through about 1K -1200 per month...

I need to do more dry fire until the crazyness ends...but, it's not the same as the smell of gunpowder in the air and you are easing back on the trigger :)

DC

No needs for thanks lurem, you were 100% correct. We all go to the store and think wow that’s a great 40 glock or 357 magnum. Yes, we love them BUT I guarantee they won’t after they pull the trigger. I honestly forgot about the ammo shortage as I’ve got my share. BUT every 30/06 round I shoot down the range is 2.00 a pop. 22 is a great starter pistol until she’s ready to move up.

P.S.In my 31 years on the street, a 25cal will kill as good as a glock! ( just pull the trigger faster lol)

1 hour ago, nhinshoreangler said:

Yes I own an old Mark Series from the 80's. CCI low noise is a low velocity (subsonic) round that shoots quieter than most 22's. I believe the charge consists of mostly primer. 

Ok, subsonics or CBs is what I know them as.  I can't run them in my Ruger.  I do enjoy shooting them with my rifle however, it's quieter than most air rifles these days.

3 hours ago, Drummer said:

Remington rimfire ammo, if it even shoots, is the most unreliable I have every seen.  Seriously, I have seen 3 out of 10, with a good primer strike, not fire. Really low quality stuff.  Federal can be bad at times as well, and their low cost stuff is dirty. CCI is good for plinking. Wolf and SK, which are made by Lapua, are great subsonic loads if you want accuracy on a budget. If you are loaded with dough, get Lapua or Eley.  Some guys love RWS, I have never had a gun that loved it.  JMO  

I havent had much triuble rifle wise, I have a Ruger10/22 i shoot ALLLOT, but figured the pistols were more sensitive. Will look into those rounds thanks for the heads up. Im more of a Mcdonalds biscuit when you think of dough.