Catch of the day (pictures)

HoneyB

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Most of you all know that about a year ago, my son decided to buy his own boat.  You may also know that this decision has led to oh, so many hillarious learnings (lost engines, forgotten plugs, plugs in the wrong holes, half sinkings, etc).   All of these mistakes he has taken in stride and owned, and his stated goal is to end up on the qualified captain instagram page so that he can say he has made every possible mistake.   I am proud of him even while I shake my head.  

Yesterday, he and I decided to buddy-boat, hitting different parts of the river in our boats with the idea that we would call the other if we found a good bite.   Obviously, I assumed it would be me calling him.  

Halfway through the day, my phone rings.  He is calling, not because he found fish, but because he literally cannot fit anymore fish into his live well and needs to put some in mine.  

Having only managed a few flounder, I was sufficiently humbled, but not so much that I didn’t steal his spot to put my other son on a decent fish.  

D1883C8C-F29A-4657-B8B5-C82135722421.jpeg

BA44171F-691B-4321-894A-CC492750E68F.jpeg

05F16B2B-AE0A-441D-BA3D-2B3480A9B09A.jpeg

9224FE13-845A-4A49-A241-4A62B73FB7B3.jpeg

094C768A-783E-46FF-80FD-29DFBAE5D9C7.jpeg

2B2DCD2F-8AFE-4E91-908B-65CF15C9FDEF.jpeg

You a killing it!!! Great catches and hell of a feast!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

We towed them , complete strangers, from , South of Rodgers , to the ramp . Outdoor Resorts.

They broke down at 10:30 , and they had a stick , with a shirt, for a flag.

Said dozens of boats went by but no one stopped. 👎🏻

The Angels knew you'd do the right thing Ralph.  That's why the fishing was so good beforehand.

The 70 year-old woman was obviously not someone to be cautious about.  However, the following story happened on a quiet weekday on the lake we frequent, near the ramp where we launch.  Long story short - an older couple on their pontoon stopped to help a young couple thrown from their jet-ski in distress.  When brought onboard the pontoon the jet-ski guy (crazed, on drugs, or demonic) attacks and beats the older, smaller man and his wife continually until the older man grabs his gun and shoots the jet-ski guy in self defense.  The aggressor died on the pontoon.  It was ruled a justified kill.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10649259/Teen-jet-skier-shot-dead-Lake-Keowee-Good-Samaritan.html

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article259617314.html

1 hour ago, dabear said:

Geeviam, thats terrible . I hope that the couple ended up being ok . What a terrible reward for stopping to be helpful . A memory that will remain in that poor couples mind forever . 

I know.  The odds of that happening are slim - and we should always try to be helpful and kind to others.  Just be careful.

Two of my favorite lines in the movie Jeremiah Johnson are:

Watch your Top Knot.

Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

• Like 1

My family went with some friends to the Destin area for our annual beach trip. The seaweed/algae was bad for the first half of the week but gradually cleared up (no boat, only fishing from the beach). I was able to get the line tight a few times. The best part was that my daughter was pumped to hang out with dad and see the fish that I caught. Here are the fish I have pictures of. 

51C6BC24-7E42-44CB-B4F0-37F91D776694.jpeg

5AE5AF30-1355-4971-B9DF-71B20E005768.jpeg

• Like 1

Spent the week in Cape Coral. Got to sneak out for about 2-3hrs of fishing and found a nice Snook and a decent Mangrove(not pictured). Took my 3y/o out who falls asleep almost as soon as my 140 starts and slept for about 30min into my first spot(all he wants its for me to castnet fish). Which explains the second pic which is a remake of a fishing Weekend At Bernies. (Cooler is a 65qt yeti  30 5/8”)

F1873E79-06CF-4BEE-B1DD-B9B05055AF63.jpeg

E203A0D6-AF6D-4E5E-BD0D-77E650E33338.jpeg

3AE99EC6-EBB4-4706-8EED-CD4A9AFC3EA3.jpeg

F24E88C8-F487-4C82-809C-D949B1BBF441.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

ARS opening day 7 anglers 14 ARS and a total of 42 fish including grouper and mangrove snapper. Done by noon

725 dollars in fuel😏

ARS22.jpg

No math major here, but that’s $17/fish (725/42).  Not bad price per pound if you could keep ‘em all, and you are the heads, guts, scales and tales.   

what inflation??

21 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

I have a price on my head but not my fishing as of yet.

I will go broke but not crazy sitting home.

I will admit to saving all the back bones and throats. Fish stock is good and so is the fish spread. No waste and the catfish behind the cleaning table are pissed.

ribs.jpg

We do the fish stock thing too, it makes for a mean mean soup base!   

Tell me more about the heads and throats and the fish dip - you just throw the carcasses on the smoker then pick them clean?   Had never thought of that, but would be a far sight better than tossing all that rib meat I always feel bad about throwing away!