Hewes 21 Redfisher restoration.

Josh B

15 minutes ago, Josh B said:

Thank you.

I think the non-skid job is very doable for most folks. Doing the cockpit only you can probably get away with doing it by yourself. The biggest mistake I made was trying to do the entire deck alone without any help. You have to keep the paint wet while you shake out the non-skid. It's very important to do the entire area in one-go so you're not stopping and restarting. You don't want to have any overlaps, you want one steady, consistent layer of non-skid throughout. The cockpit area should be small enough that you can roll it all out and get the non-skid applied before it dries. Especially since you can work from the deck. When I was doing the deck I had a make-shift scaffolding setup using a 2x12 and two ladders. I had to move it front to back as I went and it just took too much time to get setup and moved, etc. I ended up with a few lines in my non-skid where I had to start-stop-start and it definitely aggravates me that it wasn't perfect. Although, to be honest like most things after a few trips you don't really notice it anymore.

1. I used Medium particles. Make sure you order more than you think you'll need. You want to put it on super heavy and then 3/4 of it you will recover after it dries. 

2. I used the same AlexSeal paint that I used on the hull, obviously in white. If your boat is factory gelcoat, I would recommend doing that to match. 

3. So in my case I actually used 50% Soft-Sand and 50% Fine Pummice. Because I was being cheap and I already had the Fine Pummice on hand and didn't want to pay the crazy cost for more Soft-Sand. That was probably a mistake. I should have done 100% Soft-Sand. You can definitely tell a difference and the Soft-Sand particles are soft and squishy, the Pummice I used, even being "fine" is very rough. It's not a problem, but if I had over to do I would have not used it. 

Good luck. Prep is everything, sand, clean, clean again, mask it off, clean again, roll gelcoat, sprinkle non-skid heavy and evenly, let dry over night... brush off excess, top coat, remove tape, enjoy. 

Josh B.

Man this is perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the insight and seems easy enough especially only doing the cockpit. Having a similar sized cockpit mine maybe a tad smaller do you think a quart of soft sand is plenty? I can't imagine needing a gallon but don't want to go short like you said and just do 1 pint.