2300 HPS Major Hull Damage - Where do I go from here?

dholley

holy crap dude this is insane! I've seen this on THT and Ive seen the pics they have uploaded with the  men laying glass on what it appears to be a stringer grid. its a crime shame that such a new boat has had the issues you've had regardless of it being a guides bote. I found this pic on the internet of where they just ooze glue between the deck and linear, don't worry about the cracked stringer in that photo! Im so happy i have an older bote. love my hewes. i work at a car dealer and they always say that 'they don't make them like they use to' imagine the guys that just dropped 80 plus thousand on a bote that is structurally flawed. id be sick!!!

IMG_3481001.jpg

5 minutes ago, masterfisher said:

holy crap dude this is insane! I've seen this on THT and Ive seen the pics they have uploaded with the  men laying glass on what it appears to be a stringer grid. its a crime shame that such a new boat has had the issues you've had regardless of it being a guides bote. I found this pic on the internet of where they just ooze glue between the deck and linear, don't worry about the cracked stringer in that photo! Im so happy i have an older bote. love my hewes. i work at a car dealer and they always say that 'they don't make them like they use to' imagine the guys that just dropped 80 plus thousand on a bote that is structurally flawed. id be sick!!!

IMG_3481001.jpg

seen this photo on the THT, that's a dam solid stringer grid!!! that's what my Bayfish looks like!!!

5.jpg

• 1 month later...

@dholley how are you doing?  If you've begun the repair process, I'm pretty sure I would've done the same.  Your boat can be made good as new, and the trailer can be updated so it will never happen again.  It's amazing what a talented glass guy can do with some resin, cloth and gelcoat.  With the current price of a new 2300 HPS what it is, and the fact you're already invested in this one - having it repaired seems like the best way to enjoy it for a while and then get a return on your investment when the time comes to sell it.  Just my opinion, FWIW.  Best of luck to you in whichever direction you go.

Gary

• Like 1

First, I'm sorry to read this and hate to hear of someone getting the shaft. 

Next, I would pay out of pocket for a private independent survey. Then I would look for a lawyer. Remember that your insurance company and MBG are both in business to make money. Neither of them want to deal with this headache much less pay for it. If MBG says the damage was caused by impact you should get a report verifying and take it back to your insurance company. It's going to be a fight either way, insurance like to receive checks... not send them out.

In regards to the boat. Anything can be fixed. The numbers you were originally quoted seem absurd. I would definitely get 3 quotes from reputable shops. I'm in West Central Florida and there's a guy in Palmetto, FL (Antonio Bojorquez - Reel Professional, LLC) who does great work and a fair price. Prices are up and any shop worth going to will probably have a backlog of boats so be prepared to wait.

Based on current values I would spend the time/money to fix the boat. You can take that time to also make upgrades and customize to your liking. If you don't want to spend the time (3-6-9 months) waiting you can sell as-is or part it out. There's always someone out there that will buy it and repair it for a flip. Parts are all up in value these days, especially the motor with new power-head. So you lucked out on that part getting it covered under warranty and can probably recover a good chunk there. 

Best of luck,

Josh B.

3 hours ago, Josh B said:

Based on current values I would spend the time/money to fix the boat.

19 hours ago, geeviam said:

ith the current price of a new 2300 HPS what it is, and the fact you're already invested in this one - having it repaired seems like the best way to enjoy it

I just went on the MBG site and my current HPS 2300...exactly as I have it.....T top etc...is now quoted at $153K plus tax - look at another $6-7K plus misc $2K=$160-165K.

I paid $85K for mine (2019) and have upgrades of another $6K (trolling motor, radio, brakes etc)

I could probably sell mine now for $100K....hmmmm...this not another one in the market or has been for 4 months

dc

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dholley said:

I decided to have it repaired. Had a local surveyor come look at it and his determination was the improper trailer setup was the primary contributing factor to the cracks. He recommended a local shop that took on the job expeditiously and within budget. They took less than 3 weeks to fix the structural issues, repair the deck, re-gelcoat the whole bottom, spray new non-skid, and repair various other minor defects. I made all the necessary trailer adjustments so this doesn't happen again. The boat looks great and the repairs are imperceptible.

I picked up the boat Tuesday. Have been doing some maintenance - faulty toggle switches (I hate these things), bad Powerpole board, and general clean up. Plan to have it out this weekend and wrap up my maintenance items in time for a 4 day scallop trip in a week. Will report back after this weekend.

That is great news!  Keep us posted.

2 hours ago, dholley said:

Well the maiden voyage ended up with a low pressure fuel pump that keeps burning up the 10 amp fuse. So....will have to wait a few days for the new pump to come in.

Man, that's frustrating.  Hang in there.   One good thing in all of this is that you are going to know that boat inside and out.   Looking forward to seeing the journey continue.   You got a lot of guys pulling for you on this forum.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dholley said:

Back on track now. Got the low pressure fuel pump swapped out last night and took it out for a 30 minute test run. No issues with motor or boat. Everything feels solid.

Just in time for our scalloping trip Saturday.

Awesome!!  Glad you're back at it again.  Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear you are back in the water. You posted that you installed new bunks and carpet, but I just need to ask, are you trailer bunks designed and placed for a stepped hull? The front and rear bunks should be separate (4 separate bunks) and the rear bunks should be 1 1/4" higher than the front bunks. 

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know the shop dholley took it to? I made a similar post about my 2004 PF 2200 last summer and was informed that if I contacted MBG they may help. So far I've tried twice and no help, other than numbers to local dealers, who then gave me numbers to local repair shops. Also quoted at least $25k for the job. I live in SE Louisiana but would drive it all the way to Miami to get it fixed at a reasonable price. 

2004 Pathfinder 2200 (2).jpg

2004 PF 2200 (2).jpg