POWER-POLE TROLLING MOTOR ?? ANYONE HAVE IT YET? REVIEWS? GAME CHANGER?

Wanaflatsfish

I needed to up the power since my current trolling motor is only 12v/55lb anyway so I'm getting one late August early September. I didn't like the money however for me the pro's out weighed the cons to make it worth it to me because I use the TM 90% of the time I have a line in the water. I've also had a couple of small issues with other PP products that weren't even their fault that they instantly took care of and never cost me a cent. I will certainly share my opinion when I have one with it.

• Like 1

The larger boat market is big for them and just starting to be tapped.  The bottom fishing guys love not having to put out an anchor and keep re-positioning to keep over a wreck.  Spot lock and jog is a game changer for them.  The longer shaft is a must and deploy and stow is going to be very desirable too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm installing one now on my Action Craft skiff. I'll post up a review soon. The install has been pretty involved including having to relocate from starboard to the port side. I ordered it last week from my local dealer and it was delivered in less than a week.

And.....yes, I will be eating beanie-weenies for lunch for a long time if you get my meaning.  lol 

I sold my I-Pilot to a friend and I plan to sell a couple of props that are laying around the shop, so I'm mitigating the pain.

If it is as bad azz as it seems to be I'll sell the I-Pilot off my Pathfinder and move the "Move" back and forth when necessary.

It's installed and we are taking it to a local lake for a test run in the AM. 

• Like 1

I fish out of a marina in SW Florida and there is probably @ 300 plus boats there that mostly fish inshore and I haven’t seen any powerpole moves. All MK’’. I think for the price point I expected a self deploy and stow mode with the PP move. If the new MK fixes the old stow and deploy problems with this new one I will probably get one. 

The PP Move is just now available to purchase, so you wouldn't see any anywhere right now. 

I did get to bass fish with it for a couple of hours yesterday. Is it quiet?  No, it's silent. Literally can not tell if it's on or not from level 10 down. The turn motor is silent as well except in anchor mode. When you first hit the button and it spins 180 degrees( in about a second) it makes a little noise. Once it settles down it it's back to silent. On max level 15 (24 volt) it makes a boiling wake behind the skiff. The new remote is small, light, floats, and easy to work. The mechanism is super beefy and it's rock solid when stowed. 

Am I happy with it.....totally.  IS it worth the money....no, neither is the new Ford F-150 Lariat I looked at this am for $78,000. Prices are nuts these days. 

Is it worth it? If you are in SW Fla slinging white baits I doubt it. I also have a MK Terrova, it's a fine motor. If you love to sight fish spooky flats fish and you are too old to pole anymore (like me) it looks to be a "game changer". 

Time will tell.  

IMG_5672.JPG

IMG_5671.JPG

• Like 2

Good question on the prop size. I will have to compare it to my 80lb Terrova and report back. The lake was deep so I didn't get a chance to check how shallow it would run. My trusty ole Action Craft skiff needs about 12" to float and I couldn't use the Minn Kota in less than about 16". 

And.....I was helping my son drop off his wife's car at the Ford dealer this am not buying one. lol We strolled around and gawked at the truck window stickers for 5 min before we got the heck out of there. They had an F150 4wd Platinum inside the showroom, we didn't even bother to see what it was priced at. 80 or 85? 

I told him I didn't see how he would ever be able to buy a new truck. 

Good point Wana, it would be a tempting target. Luckily I live back in the woods on a private drive with bad dogs, cameras, alarms, and lots of guns.  lol 

I do stay overnight at the coast pretty often so I'm going to have to have a plan. I was thinking I would take it inside overnight but man it ain't light and the locking pin on the quick release is 3 times the size of the MK one and fits tight as heck. It's going to take some tools and some brawn to get that thing back out. So that issue still needs some thought. 

• Like 2

An air tag is a great idea. It has a couple of places where I could hide one inside the cowling. 

I did measure the prop. It's 10 1/2" from tip to tip. My 80lb Terrova prop is 11". So slightly smaller. It's a new design, with really thick leading edges and lots of pitch. It spins much slower than the MK. I hope to give it the shallow flats test later this week. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

I want one for sure.  I would hate to make new holes in my boat but I do want one.  When my trolling motor takes a dump, I'm going to look into this.

There is an optional mounting plate they call a Pulpit available from PP in two different lengths. I haven’t seen it on their website but I’ve seen it in an installation video. Power Pole told me that the short version for our RF’s would likely be ideal and needed. I feel like I read or heard in a video that the pulpit is not only pre-drilled allowing holes to be further back away from the edge of the deck for mounting  it also acts as an adapter plate with holes to match MK TM pre-existing mounting holes. You could call them to confirm if this is indeed true. 
PS; I’ve always enjoyed your video’s

• Like 1

If you look closely at the pic I posted you can see I had to use the PP "Short Pulpit" to make my installations work. Another $199 bucks for that. 👎  I also had to change sides since the deploy lever is on the right side of the base and it really needs to be mounted on the left (port) side of the bow. So yes, had to drill more holes in the boat. At first, I was going to keep it on the right side but when we mocked it up to see how it would fit it became apparent that it would be difficult to reach the lever in that configuration. My son said if you have to step over the shaft to push the deploy lever it's going to come up and hit you in the nads.  lol  

Frankly mounting it on the port side is almost mandatory. The power cord, head orientation, and control cord all just work better on that side. 

I did read where somebody swapped out their Minn Kota bracket for the one that comes on the Move and it fit right on their existing deck puck. The concern I would have there is this motor needs to mount roughly flush with the rub rail so that's further out than the Minn Kota's. Hence the need for the "pulpit". To clarify the pulpit mounts to the deck. The PP big azz fancy stainless puck then bolts onto the pulpit in predrilled threaded holes. It allows you to thru-bolt the pulpit in a location that you can access from below and still have the puck be far enough outboard for proper clearance. 

IMG_5672.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1