POWER-POLE TROLLING MOTOR ?? ANYONE HAVE IT YET? REVIEWS? GAME CHANGER?

Wanaflatsfish

On 10/17/2023 at 7:20 AM, searing said:

Thank you, I really needed to upgrade since my old trolling motor was really a “hand me down” originally used and fitted my old Pirahna 14’.

The shaft was only 42” and 12v/55lb. It served its purpose and was fine for normal fishing in calm water but struggled in rough water and current of course. I went with 36v to be able hold in about any current since I do fish inlets occasionally. I’m figuring that in most cases I won’t need but a small amount of its power and will be more efficient pulling a third less amps. I’ll will definitely give my feedback here as I put a little time on it.

I believe in giving back, so no charge for towing water skiers. 😄

I'll be interested to hear how it works on your skiff at 36 volts. At 24V on my larger skiff with tired batteries, the Move will flat haul azz on level 16. (max for 24 volts)  Each level up is a big increase. Your boat on level 20 will be something to see. 

I do use the TM now to move around more than before. You can hit high and be at the next creek in a hurry. 

I also keep a lock on mine at all times and take it off when I stay overnight at the coast. 

22 hours ago, RockyG said:

I'll be interested to hear how it works on your skiff at 36 volts. At 24V on my larger skiff with tired batteries, the Move will flat haul azz on level 16. (max for 24 volts)  Each level up is a big increase. Your boat on level 20 will be something to see. 

I do use the TM now to move around more than before. You can hit high and be at the next creek in a hurry. 

I also keep a lock on mine at all times and take it off when I stay overnight at the coast. 

Yesterday was my first trip with it, and was more about the TM than fishing. It will take time with the trolling motor and remote to be 2nd nature but I will say it’s impressive. The power and how quiet is unreal. I did go with 36v/60ah. I wished I checked the top speed and will do that but I’m sure on my 16 footer it was probably more than 5mph. I ran it constantly and moved around to different near by spots at a good clip from 6:30am until 11:30am and only used 9% of the battery capacity. The only thing I found that I felt made it less than perfect was in spot lock it would rotate the head sometimes 180 degrees very quickly to make positional adjustments and when it did it made more noise than I hoped. Otherwise it was dead silent. I’m not sure I’ve completed all the updates and there are adjustments in the PP app that may make a difference but not sure. It was only a few hours but I’ll certainly add info as I use it more. As of now I’m very glad I went with it as my decision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, searing said:

Yesterday was my first trip with it, it was more about the TM than fishing. It will take time with the trolling motor and remote to be 2nd nature but I will say it’s impressive. The power and how quiet it is unreal. I did go with 36v/60ah. I wished I checked the top speed and will do that but I’m sure on my 16 footer it was probably more than 5mph. I ran it constantly and moved around to different near by spots at a good clip from 6:30am until 11:30am and only used 9% of the battery capacity. The only thing I found that I felt made it less than perfect was in spot lock it would rotate the head sometimes 180 degrees very quickly to make positional adjustments and when it did it made more noise than I hoped. Otherwise it was dead silent. I’m not sure I’ve completed all the updates and there are adjustments in the PP app that may make a difference but not sure. It was only a few hours but I’ll certainly add info as I use it more. As of now I’m very glad I went with it as my decision.

You are a rock star with your updates........oooooh....how I want a new toy :)

Congrats and keep the information coming...

dc

10 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You are a rock star with your updates........oooooh....how I want a new toy :)

Congrats and keep the information coming...

dc

I just got of the phone with Power Pole and learned about several more pages of control options in the Power Pole app that I was unaware of. There is a ton of customizable function controls in the app. My bad for not digging into the app more thoroughly. Regarding the swift movements while the TM is in anchor mode that I mentioned made it more noisy than I hoped and can be adjusted in the app. They told me it's likely due to the setting in the app for anchor mode position correction is at the highest speed setting and not needed specially on a smaller boat. They were right, and with it turned down I'm sure it will be silent now. At that high setting it would literally move 180 degrees in less than a half second. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, searing said:

I just got of the phone with Power Pole and learned about several more pages of control options in the Power Pole app that I was unaware of. There is a ton of customizable function controls in the app. My bad for not digging into the app more thoroughly. Regarding the swift movements while the TM is in anchor mode that I mentioned made it more noisy than I hoped and can be adjusted in the app. They told me it's likely due to the setting in the app for anchor mode position correction is at the highest speed setting and not needed specially on a smaller boat. They were right, and with it turned down I'm sure it will be silent now. At that high setting it would literally move 180 degrees in less than a half second. 

I experienced the same issue. The 180 swing at warp speed made too much noise. I turned it down with the app and it's better. It only happens if you are in really calm conditions. If there is any little wind or current it just silently does its thing in about a 3' radius. 

My only current gripe is the prop drips water for 15 minutes after you stow it. On my boat, it blows back and hits me right between the eyes. I have drilled a number of drain holes in the prop and that has improved the issue somewhat. My latest solution is a womens shower cap over the prop when running. I tell people at the ramp it's a secret prototype and I promised PP to keep it covered.  lol  

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, RockyG said:

I experienced the same issue. The 180 swing at warp speed made too much noise. I turned it down with the app and it's better. It only happens if you are in really calm conditions. If there is any little wind or current it just silently does its thing in about a 3' radius. 

My only current gripe is the prop drips water for 15 minutes after you stow it. On my boat, it blows back and hits me right between the eyes. I have drilled a number of drain holes in the prop and that has improved the issue somewhat. My latest solution is a womens shower cap over the prop when running. I tell people at the ramp it's a secret prototype and I promised PP to keep it covered.  lol  

May I ask what number you turned yours down to in the app? Mine was set at 150 which must be the initial default setting and is definitely to quick and unnecessary to keep position. I noticed I got a little water spray too after stowing and under way. The next time I stowed it I just made sure I rotated in a way that it could mostly drain before I pulled it into the cradle for a second or two and it helped.

5 hours ago, RockyG said:

My Spot Lock setting is currently 115. I'm going to try turning it even lower this weekend and see how it works. 

Thank you! I turned mine down to 45 and will see how it behaves next time out, and will also experiment with it at different settings to find where the sweet spot is for keeping a tight position and sound level. Since I'm only in a 16 footer I can probably get away with a lower setting over someone in a larger rig.

Made this today, I just wanted the option to not have my TM remote on a tether specially when throwing a cast net when I’m by myself. The cast net always knows where the remote is. LOL  Firmly held I can still push a button even with the cast net in my hands without the net pushing it away from my fingers.

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, searing said:

Made this today, I just wanted the option to not have my TM remote on a tether specially when throwing a cast net when I’m by myself. The cast net always knows where the remote is. LOL  Firmly held I can still push a button even with the cast net in my hands without the net pushing it away from my fingers.

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

Thats awesome!  The minn kota remote does the same thing and sometimes finds itsway into my steering wheel, that gets exciting!

Does the PP remote do what the MK one does and perpetually flip around backwards so the buttons are against your chest?

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Thats awesome!  The minn kota remote does the same thing and sometimes finds itsway into my steering wheel, that gets exciting!

Does the PP remote do what the MK one does and perpetually flip around backwards so the buttons are against your chest?

Thank you! I bet that’s fun in the steering wheel. The PP remote flips too, it might even do it more easily because it doesn’t have the weight the MK remotes do. The design of all the remotes and how they all utilize a single hole to attach the thether clearly wasn’t designed with a lot of thought or by users. If the remotes were made with two holes right and left at the bottom or top of the remote. With a two point connection they wouldn’t flip or swing everywhere so easy. My wife had a good suggestion for a quick fix while on a lanyard to stop the flipping around would be to use piece of Velcro maybe sewn to your  shirt, and a piece attached to the back of the remote.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Made another version of the PP remote holder that includes a carabiner so it can be hooked on the belt loop. Makes it easy to just put your hand under it and lift it quickly to see the buttons while using it. They're working out great for avoiding getting hung up on things around me, specially when throwing the cast net without the use of lanyards. Here are pictures showing both versions. 

Dennis

IMG_5340[1].JPG

IMG_5341[1].JPG

IMG_5342[1].JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fish5 said:

I use an i pilot on my shock boat. It is VERY annoying that the remote is always buttons against your chest. Trying to net fish and then find the right buttons after spinning the remote is a pain. Seams like it should be a simple fix

I always keep my remote on a very short lanyard and a S-biner . It’s a lot more convent to grab it than dangling around your neck. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 10:34 AM, searing said:

Made another version of the PP remote holder that includes a carabiner so it can be hooked on the belt loop. Makes it easy to just put your hand under it and lift it quickly to see the buttons while using it. They're working out great for avoiding getting hung up on things around me, specially when throwing the cast net without the use of lanyards. Here are pictures showing both versions. 

Dennis

IMG_5340[1].JPG

IMG_5341[1].JPG

IMG_5342[1].JPG

very nice work...hyou should sell them

dc

On 11/28/2023 at 9:23 PM, HoneyB said:

always keep my remote on a very short lanyard and a S-biner . It’s a lot more convent to grab it than dangling around your neck. 

I keep it simple....

a long 18" zip tie on the belt loop...it dangles down far enough to just grab and look up.

for my remote PP remotes...I use a retractable key holder...the PP remote is light enough to use it....both the PP and MK are on the left hand side as I cast using the right hand....works for me....

DC

• 2 weeks later...

4 month review. So far the Move has operated flawlessly. It looks and operates like it did on day 1. 

Cons:  

1) Cost way way too *** much. 

2) Drips water from the prop that blows back into the boat if you don't spend time draining it as you retrieve it. 

Pros:

1) Built like a tank, not too heavy, compact on the bow. 

2) Remotes work flawlessly, and work Power Pole anchor too. The app lets you adjust all kinds of things. 

3) Very strong, 24v system and my 18' flats skiff hauls azz on high. Can move to the next creek in no time. Way stronger than my MK 70 Riptide.

4) Spot lock works like you always wanted it to. Quiet, small adjustments, keeps you literally in a 3 foot radius, jog function is just push a button. I can actually use it on the flat. Redfish are swimming towards me in 18" of clear water while I'm sitting on spot lock. 

5) Insanely quiet. Both the turn motor and propulsion. I fish on levels 4 to 6 working my way along the flat or shoreline sightfishing. You cannot hear anything. The schools of mullet that used to spook away just swim along with the boat. The prop is a neat design, with very thick leading edges that are super tough. It turns very slow and will work just barely submerged without cavitating at anything under level 7 or so. I can use the tm now anywhere the boat will float. 

6) Thru 10)  See number 5. The quiet has been the "game changer" for my style of fishing. Have I caught more fish? Absolutely. No question in my mind that I'm getting closer to the fish and they don't hear me coming. 

Was it worth the money?

That's for you to decide. 

22 hours ago, RockyG said:

4 month review. So far the Move has operated flawlessly. It looks and operates like it did on day 1. 

Cons:  

1) Cost way way too *** much. 

2) Drips water from the prop that blows back into the boat if you don't spend time draining it as you retrieve it. 

Pros:

1) Built like a tank, not too heavy, compact on the bow. 

2) Remotes work flawlessly, and work Power Pole anchor too. The app lets you adjust all kinds of things. 

3) Very strong, 24v system and my 18' flats skiff hauls azz on high. Can move to the next creek in no time. Way stronger than my MK 70 Riptide.

4) Spot lock works like you always wanted it to. Quiet, small adjustments, keeps you literally in a 3 foot radius, jog function is just push a button. I can actually use it on the flat. Redfish are swimming towards me in 18" of clear water while I'm sitting on spot lock. 

5) Insanely quiet. Both the turn motor and propulsion. I fish on levels 4 to 6 working my way along the flat or shoreline sightfishing. You cannot hear anything. The schools of mullet that used to spook away just swim along with the boat. The prop is a neat design, with very thick leading edges that are super tough. It turns very slow and will work just barely submerged without cavitating at anything under level 7 or so. I can use the tm now anywhere the boat will float. 

6) Thru 10)  See number 5. The quiet has been the "game changer" for my style of fishing. Have I caught more fish? Absolutely. No question in my mind that I'm getting closer to the fish and they don't hear me coming. 

Was it worth the money?

That's for you to decide. 

Most excellent review....as soon as my charter business starts making a few $$$, it's on my list for 2024.

dc