POWER-POLE TROLLING MOTOR ?? ANYONE HAVE IT YET? REVIEWS? GAME CHANGER?

Wanaflatsfish

1 hour ago, RockyG said:

If you look closely at the pic I posted you can see I had to use the PP "Short Pulpit" to make my installations work. Another $199 bucks for that. 👎  I also had to change sides since the deploy lever is on the right side of the base and it really needs to be mounted on the left (port) side of the bow. So yes, had to drill more holes in the boat. At first, I was going to keep it on the right side but when we mocked it up to see how it would fit it became apparent that it would be difficult to reach the lever in that configuration. My son said if you have to step over the shaft to push the deploy lever it's going to come up and hit you in the nads.  lol  

Frankly mounting it on the port side is almost mandatory. The power cord, head orientation, and control cord all just work better on that side. 

I did read where somebody swapped out their Minn Kota bracket for the one that comes on the Move and it fit right on their existing deck puck. The concern I would have there is this motor needs to mount roughly flush with the rub rail so that's further out than the Minn Kota's. Hence the need for the "pulpit". To clarify the pulpit mounts to the deck. The PP big azz fancy stainless puck then bolts onto the pulpit in predrilled threaded holes. It allows you to thru-bolt the pulpit in a location that you can access from below and still have the puck be far enough outboard for proper clearance. 

IMG_5672.JPG

Looks slick by the way!  My MK is mounted on the left side so no worries there.  I know MK now makes a brushless motor as well but it took PP to come out with it first for them to update.  I really like the PP customer service however and if I can mount to existing holes, even better.  Thanks for the info, appreciate it very much. 

Does anyone know if Minn Kota also changed the steering motor to brushless on their new brushless units? My 3 year old i-pilot's steering motor is terrible noise wise.

Quality materials, noise, Lowrance compatibility, weight, ease of store and deploy, and PP customer service is why it will be on my boat in the next couple of months.

21 hours ago, searing said:

Does anyone know if Minn Kota also changed the steering motor to brushless on their new brushless units? My 3 year old i-pilot's steering motor is terrible noise wise.

Quality materials, noise, Lowrance compatibility, weight, ease of store and deploy, and PP customer service is why it will be on my boat in the next couple of months.

Yes they have!  Competition brings the best out of everything.  If you go on their site, it says it in the description.  Still can't beat PP customer service though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

Yes they have!  Competition brings the best out of everything.  If you go on their site, it says it in the description.  Still can't beat PP customer service though.

Minn Kota has been working on their newest released motors for a while. I few guides I k ow have had the prototypes for the last couple years.

2 hours ago, RockyG said:

It's ok HH, everybody has an opinion. I can't get up on the platform to pole anymore so a super quiet TM is important to me. I poled my skiffs for years (decades) and I would love to be able to still do so, but that's life.  

My buddy after going through 3 MK Ulerra’s because of software issues ( Minn Kota covered it each time ) just bought the new PP 24/36 @ $5000 and I will say 1) that’s a lot of money for a trolling motor 2) it’s super quiet and very very smooth 3) interestingly now MK has introduced their brushless motors @ $3500. 
Bottom Line :  you only live once and if it’s what you want….buy it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

you only live once

Correction… you only die once.  You live everyday!!

A lot of times in life “game changers” come with a hefty price tag.  You can also set the market when you are first to drop it.  There was a time when folks thought a 2k hydraulically powered shallow water anchor was crazy!  Now they are everywhere!! 😉

As much as it pains me to say it, I think PP was brilliant with the 5K price tag.   People are incredibly stupid with their money right now.  If you are spending 90K on an 18' flats boat, what's an extra 3K on the "best" trolling motor, which is a pretty critical piece of equipment.

Of course, the downside is that people like me won't ever get to buy one, but what the heck, I'll just do what I always do.   I'll wait through two or three boat owners and get one on an old "new-to-me" skiff.   Thinking I only have to wait 5-10 years!

Competition in the market as mentioned is always good, good review on the trolling motor, lots of folks wanted an honest real world review on the site, for those that are no longer able to pole a skiff its a game changer for getting close as quiet as possible. Power Pole service is excellent! I’ll hang with the MK I own and see how the reliability does being a new product. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I bit the bullet. My Minn Kota was moved from my old smaller micro skiff I had to my Bayfisher 16. It really was under powered at 55lb thrust for my needs and the shaft was slightly short. I’m hoping to install it this weekend. I’m going to run it at 36v. I figure better to have the extra thrust and not need it then wish later, I also fish inlets in my area a lot so the extra thrust may come in handy, plus it will be much more efficient during normal use.

Anybody use the ProNav angler with theirs yet, or integrate with their fish finder? 

71882518158__767C4355-678A-4AA5-9A6E-55BDEAA20AA5.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tender said:

No way I would trust a lock, 1/2 of them can be broken with a screwdriver. That is the purpose of a quick release mount to me. I'd take it into the hotel room with me while traveling and my boat stays in the garage at home.

Me too, but I worry when on the road and stop in a rest area for an environmental break.

17 hours ago, searing said:

Mounted the Pulpit plate a quick release puck for the PP Move PV over the weekend. Battery and charger is coming today, and will go in the console. Here are a few pics.

very nice.....thank you.....my 36V Ulterra is still going strong (after two repairs)...and is still under warranty for another 6 months or so...to bite the bullet @ $5K...hmmmm....

Keep us up to date on progress and how it will drag you through the water...you said you will set it at 36V....will you charge for water skiing :) LOL.....

DC

21 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

Wow, that is quite a mount.  Is there a way to lock it to the mount.  At $5g's I would want it to sty there.

They’re lockable in the same way and place as the Minn Kota’s just slightly more heavy duty. The mount and puck is nice looking to me and it’s definitely more solid. 

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

very nice.....thank you.....my 36V Ulterra is still going strong (after two repairs)...and is still under warranty for another 6 months or so...to bite the bullet @ $5K...hmmmm....

Keep us up to date on progress and how it will drag you through the water...you said you will set it at 36V....will you charge for water skiing :) LOL.....

DC

Thank you, I really needed to upgrade since my old trolling motor was really a “hand me down” originally used and fitted my old Pirahna 14’.

The shaft was only 42” and 12v/55lb. It served its purpose and was fine for normal fishing in calm water but struggled in rough water and current of course. I went with 36v to be able hold in about any current since I do fish inlets occasionally. I’m figuring that in most cases I won’t need but a small amount of its power and will be more efficient pulling a third less amps. I’ll will definitely give my feedback here as I put a little time on it.

I believe in giving back, so no charge for towing water skiers. 😄

• Like 1