What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, whichwaysup said:

Very nice!   Love that feeling of running in a boat you love.

Speaking of which, I got a quote this a.m. on the next part of the job to get mine back on the water - putting the rear deck back on and putting her back together.   It came in about what I expected, so I will get her done.   The shop reinforced that they couldn't be more impressed with the work done to fix and reinforce the stringers, which is music to my ears.   They will be grinding down the area beneath the stringer over the next week to fix the cracks that the delamination caused.   I'll post pics up in my thread as I get them. 

Rewiring will start at the beginning of Feb, and I was able to find some replacement LED bow lights (the old ones were getting pretty corroded.   I may go ahead and have the thru-hull transducer hooked up again so I never lose depth when running - which happens when I am am running WOT with my side scan xducer. 

In the meantime, work continues on the rest of the boat.  I'll be replacing the hubs on the trailer and keeping the old ones as spares for long trips.   Got the parts to replace the upper seals in the lower unit of the engine.   Still debating on whether to upgrade my ipilot with the bluetooth/more accurate one or whether to invest in a power pole, or whether to install a jackplate.   A lot will depend on what it ultimately takes to put the boat back on the water. 

It's been a year and 3 months since I first discovered this issue.   I still wonder if it will ever actually be done.   I hear that the fish stocks have dramatically increased since I've been land locked, though  :)

That's because your not fishing !!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JEM said:

I installed a Lumitec Newt LED bait well light in my aft center bait well this past Saturday.  While I was in the well, I ran a bead of caulk around the top of the tub hoping to seal it to stop the leaks into the bilge.  

Good idea!  I need to seal the top of mine as well.

• Like 1

I have had my 2nd generation, Bluetooth MK Ulterra for two years with total trouble free service.  The exception being that the white paint started flaking off the lower unit........the motor.   Knowing that my 2 year warranty was up in January, I called MK and found out they will replace the lower unit (the motor) under warranty.   Shazam!  Soooo, I arranged to ship the motor to Master Repair in Stuart, my installing dealer.  I got it back yesterday.  They did me right!!!!!  It included a new shaft and a new lift motor.  Essentially a brand new troller.  Sometimes, it pays to buy from and let a brick and mortar shop install!  

I can’t recommend Master Repair highly enough!

43E58451-1351-45AA-80DB-EA0D40E6D347.jpeg

• Like 4

Had a actuator go bad last year the night before I was leaving for a keys trip.  Ended up running a 3/4" bolt through it so it would clunk every start and stop.  Being lazy I'm just getting around to fixing it.  Installed a new actuator today bleed the brakes and tested.  Both actuators on the driver side lock up other side worked perfect.  I was thinking of rebuilding them but can't even get the piston out.     

KIMG0472.JPG

3 hours ago, all wet said:

Got the boat back from the shop after having 9 years of accumulated oyster rash repaired on the hull, and a new intake cheese grater installed.  Old one bent back after screw heads rusted off.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.jpg

7.jpg

do you mind telling us what it cost to get the bottom of the boat fixed? mines an 01 and looks similar lol one too many oyster bars

What’s the process for fixing the scratches on the bottom? I’m fairly handy with gel coat but I’ve never thought about repairing my oyster rash. Could you just roll entire bottom or between a couple strakes, wet sand and then buff/wax? I have the ability to hang my boat with 2 Forklift’s at my shop for a weekend so I could access it without the trailer in the way

18 hours ago, all wet said:

Around $2500.  I would think you could get cheaper if you're in an area with more shops and can get multiple quotes.  I was hoping for around $1500 but bit the bullet anyway.

Where did you get the work done. I live in NE Fl and have to deal with "the rash".

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, Sunstone said:

Had a actuator go bad last year the night before I was leaving for a keys trip.  Ended up running a 3/4" bolt through it so it would clunk every start and stop.  Being lazy I'm just getting around to fixing it.  Installed a new actuator today bleed the brakes and tested.  Both actuators on the driver side lock up other side worked perfect.  I was thinking of rebuilding them but can't even get the piston out.     

KIMG0472.JPG

Put the brake hose back on the caliper and pump the brakes (actuator) manually. The pressure exerted by the brake fluid will push the piston out enough so you can get some pliers on the edge of the piston and remove it. 

6 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Put the brake hose back on the caliper and pump the brakes (actuator) manually. The pressure exerted by the brake fluid will push the piston out enough so you can get some pliers on the edge of the piston and remove it. 

I read to use compressed air in the fitting and they said it would pop out, Not.  Had to use a large pry bar to even get the piston in enough to remove the caliper from the disc.

• 2 weeks later...