Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Wanaflatsfish

The finally has come....

Took the Ghost to the WAWA.....ok, I know the world is full of Idiots...but, do they all have to go to WAWA at the same time on a Sunday ???   Why block the fuel stations for 15 minutes while you get out of your car and go in and buy your sub ??? or your drinks and chips?  Why not just fill your tank and then park...Noooooooo, you have to leave your car in the slot so EVERYONE WAITS.....ok, off the soap box.

Filled the tank for the first time....39 GALLONS......so, I texted @ Ralph aka Outlaw and said AIM welding calculated 40 gallons...I want my money back - take out the tank !!! : )   Seriously......HOOOOYAAAAH.... !!!.

Previous tank was 27 gallons....my range was 3.5 mpg  x 22 gallons with 5 gallons for reserve..=77 out and bck...now with 40..I can go 3.5x35 gallons = 122 miles out and back...so, now I can make the Rogers from either Choko or Flamingo :)

It's like a new skiff !!! New Range...new tank....

After the WAWA nightmare....

took her home to clean her up a bit....she's beginning to look like a skiff...

installed the oil reserve tank...turned the key...heard the little motor running and the reserve tank on the motor filled up..

Things to finalize:

1.) Speakers

2.) rear rod holders insert

3.) install sea-deck under the gunnels on the rod holders...not on the gunnels....

4.) Install new matching tapping screws

5.) Install wash down system

6.) Sea trial on Thursday.

Some pics.....will be taking off all the blue plastic protectants prior to sea-trial.

Need to tidy up a few wires..but, she's ready to run....

IMG_0923.thumb.jpg.24097bb9657acd58945dcc686f45c58d.jpg

A few pics of the deck...I need to change out the console screws so they match with finishing washers and place a final bead of 4200 to the base.....and fix a gash in the gelcoat on the front of the console...hit it with the casting platform...ugggh :(

IMG_0925.thumb.jpg.a2bc835b345521548c1c77593018c6a0.jpg

IMG_0926.thumb.jpg.d9c1d1e980ed253c502cae8d1b37e9ac.jpg

IMG_0927.thumb.jpg.5139e79473a59302f862d762a8829bbe.jpg

• Like 4

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: June 27 - 5 Months of work; FINALLY HAS COME - 39 GALLONS OF FUEL AND CLEANING UP THE DECK......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

The HOLY GHOST rises from the dead :)

forum member COTO and I took the GHOST to Markham for a test run.....

Nothing caught on fire, the steering turned from left to right, power poles worked, trolling motor functioned...

WOT 37.5 mph....

time to finish the details but, she's ready to fish in a few days...

IMG_0955.thumb.jpg.31a22c9a87d616dd610379888dd067c2.jpg

running the GHOST....

IMG_0952.thumb.jpg.34513e827ee6b6bd4081acc854b1b3c5.jpg

100% APPROVAL BY COTO .....

TIME TO SLIME THE DECK.....

IMG_0954.thumb.jpg.033df438a1b34bbf0cbce6bb952975a2.jpg

• Like 3

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: July 1st...the GHOST RISES FROM THE DEAD.....SEA TRIAL COMPLETE...TIME TO SLIME UP THE DECKS....Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
2 hours ago, dabear said:

Glade that your test and tune today went well . Sounds like you are ready to head towards Chokoloskee and start enjoying the work that has been done . Take care have fun be safe .  Joe R . 

lots of fun....just installed the speakers...400 watts of power...get yo glow sticks and neckbands....time to bang yo heads to some Avicci and Armin van....and Beni Benassi.. :)

dc

Dino - Congrats on completing the project.    There is something very special about taking something old and making it new again.   In a world where most things get thoughtlessly consumed and tossed away, it is inspiring to see something of value be brought back to life.

If you had sold her as is and bought a brand new, shiny boat, then showed up at the ramp with it and gotten the usual compliments that a shiny boat gets, you can only take so much pride in it - after all, the only thing you can take credit for is earning the scratch to pay for it.    But when you show up at the ramp with a boat that you made shiny and new again, and the inevitable compliments come, you know you earned them the hard way.    

Nice work, and I am sure many people will benefit from your efforts - both from the thread chronicling your project, and eventually when you sell her to someone else a long, long time from now.

BTW, now that you have her fully completed, it would be cool for the rest of us boat nerds to see full set of pics of the completed project - every angle, every detail, all in one place if you are willing.   

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

eventually when you sell her to someone else a long, long time from now.

over my dead body :)  LOL.....

for my lifestyle, fishing, and time on water....there is no better boat for me....my days of going offshore are over.  The little skiff with the ameritrail should take me at least another 10 years.....barring the engine blowing up...I don't see much more I can do to my mistress..

dc

• Thanks 2

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: JULY 3RD - MORE UPGRADES.....THE GHOST ON FAMILY TIME - ELLIOTT KEY AND HOMESTEAD RAMP.........Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Grandson in town so we wanted to head to Elliott Key.....made the trek from FLL to Homestead....got there a bit late..but, to our advantage....very organized....simple in and out...15 min idle then about 20 minutes to Elliott...water was crystal clear and the Ghost ran like a champ....she's ready for the long runs to Lostmans and points out :)

a few pics...installed the captains chair and first mate...bimini up and in place...and some family time....and, of course...crystal clear water off Elliott....IMG_1005.thumb.jpg.290ebc26c49da5d53caba98cd72aee85.jpg

IMG_1001.thumb.jpg.18888f10e095ac58488dae97ac1e7f4a.jpg

gotta love the number of boats at the ramp.....but, it was not a show like Blackpoint :)

IMG_1010.thumb.jpg.1d8dd5d9409f3e891302936de0bc9e2b.jpg

IMG_1011.thumb.jpg.704a07d82f804130470feac6a9ba0af4.jpg

more detail work to come this weekend...I hope as Elsa passes a bit farther West.....and seems to be more of a non-event.

dc

• Like 3

I haven't been to Elliott Key in over 30+ years.  Had some great times down there.  You mentioned Black Point being a show.  Seems like there needs to be another ramp location built to alleviate the pressure.  I have watched the Chitt Show recently and there are some real winners launching that have no business being in a boat.

The Holy Ghost looks great !!! 

8 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

I have watched the Chitt Show recently and there are some real winners launching that have no business being in a boat.

When somebody can luanch a Youtube channel showing just boat launches and loadings at one particular boat ramp in this country, you know it has to be entertaining!

Just going to lunch on a weekday when boat traffic is at its lowest, there is still plenty of good entertainment to go around. Heck, if people pack a cooler to spend thier Saturday just watching the show at ramp as entertainment you know it has to be good!

• Like 1

Dino, 

Great watching all of your good work putting your skiff back together! Look forward to seeing her scooting around Chok once again.

Regarding the boat ramps, it amazes me that the ones who screw up - screw up all the time!  You would think they would figure a few things out and actually improve, but noooooooo.  🤪

The driving out of Haulover Inlet on Youtube by the way is classic stuff.  Its what happens once they finally get the boat going in the right direction - away from the ramp. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator changed the title to Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Moderator pinned this topic