Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Wanaflatsfish

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: May 17th..battery box built...ready to install the console......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
23 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Additional work over the weekend...creating the battery box...

IMG_0426.thumb.jpg.66542493ae2c623a48c83fdc9e807beb.jpgIMG_0431.thumb.jpg.0d9b4597ee0f2e7dce31643d82ddd13f.jpg

IMG_0424.thumb.jpg.dbe5e785c2d9bbed2d9839e20852239e.jpg

Reinforcing the helm....

IMG_0418.thumb.jpg.14876bacc5df0e2525c80de922fafa1f.jpg

IMG_0419.thumb.jpg.15a92f781fb17f13ad0856d122fc741d.jpg

Going with black starboard for the console....I will have a simple 6 switch for a few items...

More to come next weekend....

IMG_0436.thumb.jpg.f743ef17b3eebcfec9f8ec9a80526149.jpg

That console is looking good . How far over budget are you ? What do you think would be a realistic price to have a 20 year old 18 Master Angler hull redone to make it ship shape again . I am talking about a hull that has not had any work done . Wiring looks rough and I would imagine that the fuel tank and normal things that a 20 year old Master Angler hull would need apply . I am asking you this question because you just had this type of work done and will have first hand knowledge what the cost in today’s market would be . I know this is a little of a generic question but it seems like most of these old master anglers need the same type of hull repairs under the floor and most are in need to be rewired and most need a new fuel tank . Thanks for any help and ball park figures on work . 

4 hours ago, dabear said:

That console is looking good . How far over budget are you ? What do you think would be a realistic price to have a 20 year old 18 Master Angler hull redone to make it ship shape again . I am talking about a hull that has not had any work done . Wiring looks rough and I would imagine that the fuel tank and normal things that a 20 year old Master Angler hull would need apply . I am asking you this question because you just had this type of work done and will have first hand knowledge what the cost in today’s market would be . I know this is a little of a generic question but it seems like most of these old master anglers need the same type of hull repairs under the floor and most are in need to be rewired and most need a new fuel tank . Thanks for any help and ball park figures on work

Ok, here you go....

original purchase $11.5K

New trailer $4K

rebuild carbs back two years ago - $600

new batteries - $700

New gauges and binnacle - $1500

new fuel tank: $800

cut out floor, instal tank, redo a lot of work on the deck, redo all of the hatches, and redo console - $12K

gauges and wiring: $2.5K

other stuff $1500

Total: about $32-33K all in....

New skiff: $70K

good deal :)

dc

• Like 4

Wanaflatsfish , thanks for taking the time to share the approximate cost to restore a classic boat like a Master Angler .   A few of us have been wondering what it would cost to make a almost 20 year old classic Master Angler sea worthy again . Thanks for real world up to date numbers . Your boat is really looking spectacular. 

• Like 1

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: may 20th, ready to finish....BRING ON DA WIRE !!!......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
8 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Dino - looking forward to seeing the finished product.    Work on the "guts" of the boat isn't glamorous, and certainly isn't visible, but that feeling of sitting over top of "stuff" that you know is right is tough to beat for us used boat owners.    

yep,

all new wiring.....time to start.....be working 14 hrs a day....so, only have the weekends.

dc

Ya know Dino, I was thinking; If you and Whichwaysup get together and build an on-line tutorial on rebuilding a Maverick skiff, or any boat for that matter you would get attention. Between the two of you all bases have been covered. Talk about a wealth of information for a Mav owner, it don't get no better.

Now gett'er wet and post up some slime on that pretty new gelcoat!

1 hour ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Ya know Dino, I was thinking; If you and Whichwaysup get together and build an on-line tutorial on rebuilding a Maverick skiff, or any boat for that matter you would get attention. Between the two of you all bases have been covered. Talk about a wealth of information for a Mav owner, it don't get no better.

Now gett'er wet and post up some slime on that pretty new gelcoat!

Well, the MGB Forum is  the most informative for these bay boats and skiffs....there are some other good forums - grady, mako, etc. micro skiff for the skinny mini's.....but, MGB has the most info for specialized knowledge.

Part of why I post this is just to pay it forward for all I"ve learned from the likes of the old timers on the forum - Capt Troy, HOBO, and others.....

Interesting information, I read on Microskiff that Capt Bob Lemay had replaced his MA17 fuel tank and had to "lift the CAP"...we did not do this and it was a huge difference.....I tried to post on the Microskiff forum my experience and it was deleted - their loss.

Many of the re-builds provide ideas and information.....all good ideas - i really liked CHAD1616 Maverick Rebuild and i stole some of his ideas.....Not as much SEADECK....but, i liked his console ideas and wiring pics.

Time to get out to the skiff :)

DC

• Like 1

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: May 22nd...things always take longer :) ......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

fiddled with the console a bit more....decided to add the starter key under the console....

Painted the front PVC board so it would not show the contrast....cut out the switch panel and key panel.

added the pvc  boards to the inside of the console using gorilla glue and spray adhesive....

IMG_0528.thumb.jpg.8b5ae281033b67642f9bd3d77ec481dc.jpg

IMG_0529.thumb.jpg.7181072b524b143864255432f12b5970.jpg

I cut some additional boards to put pressure against the console to insure adhesion.

IMG_0530.thumb.jpg.91a8e8ccc54011340ace0972df99d4ac.jpg

IMG_0533.thumb.jpg.b1a1728f78e84d6779150ba64f57ba97.jpg

the switch panel from behind

IMG_0536.thumb.jpg.53f90365333f0989a14302712b18c94b.jpg

IMG_0537.thumb.jpg.8b8e60d0fd67c951c46b48d3b116e88d.jpg

was going to add plastic to the top you cannot see through the rear...but,decided it was not necessary.

dc

IMG_0538.thumb.jpg.7431a600e2f32de9ccdc9e8346233174.jpg

added the trim tab switch...

IMG_0541.thumb.jpg.e3350b33eedc4302f0eeac48ac389e3b.jpg

Are you going to install the kill switch on the inside of the console or on the outside ? I like to close my console door unless the water is like glass that way the door isn’t hanging on the hinge and everything inside the console isn’t exposed to the weather . Th wiring shown inside your console looks impressive. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:49 AM, dabear said:

Are you going to install the kill switch on the inside of the console or on the outside ? I like to close my console door unless the water is like glass that way the door isn’t hanging on the hinge and everything inside the console isn’t exposed to the weather . Th wiring shown inside your console looks impressive. 

Joe

your post got me thinking and it's probably better and safer to have the ignition switch not inside the console in the event of foul weather...

Capt Don H and Coto coming over this weekend to fiddle a bit more....slowly she is getting ready for da slime :)

IMG_0547.thumb.jpg.a0e9b02f137ecf575bcac9bf5a4aaed6.jpg

With me and the new laws I need to have that kill switch in the easiest place possible to wear it . I am better but us old timers are not known for being able to change how we do things easily . I thank God that I have never needed a kill switch and have never been thrown out of a boat but if this new law will help save one life than I am on board and am using mine . I used it today with out being reminded by my fishing partner / wife all day . Can’t wait for it to become a habit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dabear said:

With me and the new laws I need to have that kill switch in the easiest place possible to wear it . I am better but us old timers are not known for being able to change how we do things easily . I thank God that I have never needed a kill switch and have never been thrown out of a boat but if this new law will help save one life than I am on board and am using mine . I used it today with out being reminded by my fishing partner / wife all day . Can’t wait for it to become a habit. 

I try to think of it this way...   Attach the KS to my Life Jacket.  Boat never gets on plane without Life Jacket properly in use.  I know several guys that have been thrown from their boat due to a steering cable break.  One was knocked out and prop came by and went right thru his head.  Had  on life jacket.  No KS.  He was not alert to swim away from the oncoming prop.  I know others who have hit underwater obstructions and were thrown from the helm.  Just a simple fix to a potential disaster.  

I went to a Stand Up Paddle board tether, a coiled version is about 3’ and extends to 10’ feet.  Gives better movement options while connected.  Thicker and more durable than the std red plastic covered version ($15 at WM) and have a Velcro cuff for easy on-off, and come with stainless heavy-duty swivels (no tether looking like an old phone cord). I use an around the calf version and also wear it around my ankle.  It’s a great alternative for using your kill switch option regularly, and it solves the issue of having the tether attached to your wrist and catching the wheel or restricting hand movement in general. Just purchased a spare ankle version on Amazon for $16, for me it’s definitely worth the extra $5.

11 minutes ago, jim33042 said:

I went to a Stand Up Paddle board tether, a coiled version is about 3’ and extends to 10’ feet.  Gives better movement options while connected.  Thicker and more durable than the std red plastic covered version ($15 at WM) and have a Velcro cuff for east on-off, and come with stainless heavy-duty swivels (no tether looking like an old phone cord). I use an around the calf version and also wear it around my ankle.  It’s a great alternative for using your kill switch option regularly, and it solves the issue of having the tether attached to your wrist and catching the wheel or restricting hand movement in general. Just purchased a spare ankle version on Amazon for $16, for me it’s definitely worth the extra $5.

Brilliant!

I was teaching my daughter how to drive the bayboat the other weekend and the kill switch laynard was getting wrapped up in the steering wheel/turning knob and we both said there had to be a better way, and we just found it!

Thanks Jim!

Enough messing around, get back to work Dino!

Hopefully it will be a very productive few days off and you will be able to start enjoying this investment very soon . It sure is looking great . Hope a picture of you standing on the bow with a smile on your face and a rod bent in half will be a picture on the last page or this journey. Lots of time work and money next step lots of fun and memories. 

• Moderator changed the title to Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Moderator pinned this topic