Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

Wanaflatsfish

What ever the factory did 25 years ago lasted a very long time . It would be great if all that 25 plus year old wood and rubber hoses could be replaced . It’s a lot more work but it would be a shame to have to disassemble that hull again to replace a rotten rubber hose or stringer in the future . The hardest part of a major repair is making a decision how far you want to go . There is a big difference between a total restoration and repairing what is broken . Like a classic car frame off restoration vs a painted classic car with new interior and 25 year old motor , suspension , and fuel tank . It’s not easy to figure out how far you want to go and how much money you want to spend . That thing is lookin good . 

Dino - Any thoughts on running a half PVC along the bottom of the V (upside down) to keep a channel for water to drain through?   No matter what, water is going to get down into that foam, you can try to eliminate the risk, but if there is a way to give it someplace to go, why not?   I can't imagine a 2" PVC on the bottom with a few drainage holes along the sides wouldn't help things dry out.

Just a thought - its what I did on mine in the stern to get water from the outside of the stringers.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Dino - Any thoughts on running a half PVC along the bottom of the V (upside down) to keep a channel for water to drain through?   No matter what, water is going to get down into that foam, you can try to eliminate the risk, but if there is a way to give it someplace to go, why not?   I can't imagine a 2" PVC on the bottom with a few drainage holes along the sides wouldn't help things dry out.

Just a thought - its what I did on mine in the stern to get water from the outside of the stringers.   

I was thinking the same thing!  Like a french drain at the bottom of the foam, with perforated PVC pipe

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dabear said:

What ever the factory did latest 25 years Must of been built right . It would be great if all that 25 plus year old wood and rubber hoses could be replaced . It’s a lot more work but it would be a shame to have to disassemble that hull again to replace a rotten rubber hose or stringer in the future . The hardest part of a major repair is making a decision how far you want to go . A lot more work to do a total restoration than a rebuild where do you draw the line ?  How much is to much . Looking good so far . 

You better look good at the simple stuff.

I am more frustrated with my boat right now than I have ever been.

2010 built 21 master angler.

So many corners cut and BS as I dig further it's mind boggling.

Bad engineering, poor execution, and poor quality control.

Outside of a few issues I discovered today, the gasket for the guest battery switch panel was never installed. Nor did they seal the console hatches over the fuel tank . Pie holes with no caulk under the console.

Then, the wire pulls have electric tape every 6 inches. No way to pull a bad wire out of which there are many due to laying deutch connectors in conduit that holds water.

I still love my boat but there is no excuse for what I'm dealing with.

I remember in 2010 when boat builders were begging for business.

9 hours ago, dabear said:

What ever the factory did latest 25 years Must of been built right . It would be great if all that 25 plus year old wood and rubber hoses could be replaced . It’s a lot more work but it would be a shame to have to disassemble that hull again to replace a rotten rubber hose or stringer in the future . The hardest part of a major repair is making a decision how far you want to go . A lot more work to do a total restoration than a rebuild where do you draw the line ?  How much is to much . Looking good so far . 

We changed out both of the fuel lines....took 4 hours....the factory installed the main fuel line BEHIND THE ROD HOLDERS INTO THE BOW...IT WAS A NIGHTMARE CUTTING THEM OUT...YOU COULD NOT REACH THE CLAMPS..SO, AFTER AN HOUR OF SAWING AND USING A GRINDER, WE GOT IT OUT...WE HAD TO CUT A LARGE PIEHOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE HATCH....

more to come....i have a bunch of pics of the work..will post tomorrow.

dc

8 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Richard is going to fill the bottom of the hull with foam and we'll glass in the top...there should be NO MORE WATER ENTERING....

We cut out all the foam today....and the tank is now pained with a strong epoxy. !!!

dc

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Bad engineering, poor execution, and poor quality control.

Outside of a few issues I discovered today, the gasket for the guest battery switch panel was never installed. Nor did they seal the console hatches over the fuel tank . Pie holes with no caulk under the console.

Then, the wire pulls have electric tape every 6 inches. No way to pull a bad wire out of which there are many due to laying deutch connectors in conduit that holds water.

yep....

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

I still love my boat but there is no excuse for what I'm dealing with.

I remember in 2010 when boat builders were begging for business.

yep, as a buddy said to me over the weekend...."restoring a MA17 is 'GODS WORK " " :)

BY FRIDAY THE TANK WILL BE IN AND THE FLOOR SHOULD BE IN PLACE....

TOOK YOUR ADVICE...ALL FUEL LINES ARE REPLACED....man, those guys are $$$$

DC

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

yep....

yep, as a buddy said to me over the weekend...."restoring a MA17 is 'GODS WORK " " :)

BY FRIDAY THE TANK WILL BE IN AND THE FLOOR SHOULD BE IN PLACE....

TOOK YOUR ADVICE...ALL FUEL LINES ARE REPLACED....man, those guys are $$$$

DC

Fill hose is 20 bucks a foot.

Mine came apart inside and out. The hose had a build date of 2008 on my 2010 build.

Your money ahead doing it now. Trust me on that.

A few more pics...

Fuel tank epoxy and ready to go into the skiff....

We had to literally cut off the fuel tank gas line to get it out...then we had to "notch" out the glass to "pre-clamp" then slide into the boat...we had to cut off all the tubes to fit it in...we also changed the vent hoses as well and will be creating the anti-siphon U in the line.

IMG_9778.thumb.jpg.95eceb2cb2554185bbef25dd0a674800.jpg

IMG_9781.thumb.jpg.be80ab60109deb970daf1a4b5c63f598.jpg

notice we protected the glass from the grinder with thick boards...sparks were flying everywhere and we had to take time to not burn the glass where the fuel entrance is attached.

It was a real PIA to get it off...we had to go very slowly....but, it's off....

IMG_9784.thumb.jpg.c92d9fe36ad558d3ad10f1b9e3d0ea8b.jpg

we used both a jig saw and dremel and a fine tool to get a precise hole...

IMG_9796.thumb.jpg.87fd0cc8304800392628721926a81b08.jpg

You can see the notch where we cut it to allow the clamps to enter...I found an EXTRA large fuel tank cap to allow us to cover the hole....

$75K for the darn thing :(

IMG_9799.thumb.jpg.952ecfc49c1845fdee516e8f09b95569.jpg

IMG_9794.thumb.jpg.0bc268ca981219161d833ba520160309.jpg

MORE TO COME AT THE END OF THE WEEK....

DC

7 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

A few more pics...

Fuel tank epoxy and ready to go into the skiff....

We had to literally cut off the fuel tank gas line to get it out...then we had to "notch" out the glass to "pre-clamp" then slide into the boat...we had to cut off all the tubes to fit it in...we also changed the vent hoses as well and will be creating the anti-siphon U in the line.

IMG_9778.thumb.jpg.95eceb2cb2554185bbef25dd0a674800.jpg

IMG_9781.thumb.jpg.be80ab60109deb970daf1a4b5c63f598.jpg

notice we protected the glass from the grinder with thick boards...sparks were flying everywhere and we had to take time to not burn the glass where the fuel entrance is attached.

It was a real PIA to get it off...we had to go very slowly....but, it's off....

IMG_9784.thumb.jpg.c92d9fe36ad558d3ad10f1b9e3d0ea8b.jpg

we used both a jig saw and dremel and a fine tool to get a precise hole...

IMG_9796.thumb.jpg.87fd0cc8304800392628721926a81b08.jpg

You can see the notch where we cut it to allow the clamps to enter...I found an EXTRA large fuel tank cap to allow us to cover the hole....

$75K for the darn thing :(

IMG_9799.thumb.jpg.952ecfc49c1845fdee516e8f09b95569.jpg

IMG_9794.thumb.jpg.0bc268ca981219161d833ba520160309.jpg

MORE TO COME AT THE END OF THE WEEK....

DC

What is the antisiphon U? Assuming upwards but would have to be pretty high so its about the plane of the fuel filter?

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: MARCH 26th - PROGRESS PROGRESS PROGRESS !!! ......Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost

ready for the tank....

a8fcca43-b6d1-416a-8c4b-f362506b5cec.thumb.jpg.c3938db777d956cc88815b7f18247a59.jpg

SEALING THE FOAM THE CORRECT WAY !!!

IMG_9901.thumb.jpg.98422164295c79a6208caec88b533f33.jpg

IMG_9902.thumb.jpg.e3f77903d901b9b3c08827b8787d2914.jpg

REDOING THE HATCHES THAT HAD BACKREST'S SET INTO THEM.....

IMG_9905.thumb.jpg.2d8155c5ce75474e5218784f68ac7587.jpg

READY TO FOAM AND GLASS IN THE TANK...

IMG_9910.thumb.jpg.39dd7f6c205ec0a474fe6ae534e8c565.jpg

WE WILL BE REINFORCING ALL THE LEGS AND THE AREA BEHIND THE TANK...THERE WILL BE A PASSAGE WAY BETWEEN THE DECK THE AND THE TANK TO INSURE THE WATER WILL FLOW.

BY MONDAY, THE FLOOR SHOULD BE IN....

DC

• Like 2

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: MARCH 27 TANK AND FLOOR READY TO GO ON MONDAY .....Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Wanaflatsfish changed the title to Update: MARCH 30TH, THE TANK IS IN FLOOR REINFORCED - PROGRESS .....Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Moderator changed the title to Boat Restoration Thread: Master Angler MA17 - 1995, the Holy Ghost
  • Moderator pinned this topic