1999 Maverick 21 Master Angler Rebuild

MA21

3 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

With the cap off you may want to support the sides of the boat with a wooden jig .

Without the cap the boat will flair out and in some rare cases bend and flex like a  banana. 

Great idea. Next step is to get the boat off the trailer and onto some stands. Then I will be using water levels to make sure it's sitting perfectly level. I like your idea with jigs. I could take measurements off the cap to see exactly where I need the hull sides at.

Following this one.  Amazing how rough those stringers are!   Agree with the support, that was a major consideration when I did my rebuild and why we only removed a portion. Even then there was a concern about warping. A full cap off restore of a 21 is impreasive and will keep that boat on the water for many years to come!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: hull has been water leveled and on jack stands. The stringer removal has officially begun! After a few weeks of prep work I’m starting to see progress. This process is going very smooth at this point and I’m so glad to have a grinder in my hand.

lots of stuff to grind as the original built process was sloppy. Chunks of resin everywhere, fiberglass that was not properly laid. Air bubbles under the fiberglass and a built up of water in the stringer system.

I have been advised to remove 1 stringer at a time. Once I am done grinding this side out I will then add my new coosa board stringer. Then do the other side of the boat. The 2x4 supports from gunnel to gunnel will be added before I add the new stringer (port side).

if anyone has any questions about the process so far please feel free and I will be monitoring this thread a little more often now that the process is moving forward.

• Like 2

You will enjoy her.   My 18 is the best all around boat I've ever had.  It fishes so much bigger than it is, and the wide, walk around gunnels make it even bigger.   People will laugh, but you really ought to throw a poling platform on it.  I do pole it around in the summertime, but the rest of the year, that real estate is the most popular part of my boat and makes it even bigger.   One kid on the platform, me on the bow, and another one or two in between, depending on what we're fishing.   Not to mention that it makes a great picnic table, bait table, spoiler, and works great under TM power!

• Like 1

Very Nice! Definitely following this one. I just completed a rebuild on my 21 RF, it's a process. I did not remove the cap on mine, but seeing your pics makes me wish I did. I did inspect mine thoroughly and only had minor repairs to one stringer and one bulkhead. I'll say that the amount of air pockets and voids in the glass work was a little disturbing. From what I've seen and read online, I'd bet that just about every boat out there has them as well... but ignorance is bliss I suppose. Until they start vacuum bagging these boats I imagine the quality of glasswork was at the discretion of the hourly employee holding the roller. 

Whats your plan for paint/gel coat? Are you doing polyster, vinylester or epoxy resin?

A few tips that I have...

Before you set that cap back on, make sure you've thought about everything you want to add topside. Anything you might want to mount, glass in some support underneath. Either some coring with extra glass or even better an aluminum plate you can drill/tap, etc. 

Get some extra conduit in place (the biggest you can fit) and run hoses/fuel, etc on one side and eletrical on the other. Get some mule tape (pull strings) in place from each compartment to console and another set to bilge. So you can pull something from bow to console, bow to bilge, bilge to console, etc. It makes life so much easier down the road. Pull extra (spare) wires in addition to what you know you want. You can have a pair or two of wires capped off on standby for future additions that you'll absolutely be glad you have when you want to add something and don't have to run wires.

Spend the extra money to get all your thru-hulls replaced with quality stainless or brass.  Get shut-off valves for every thru-hull, both inlets and drains. It's comforting to know you have all new solid hardware and you can completely shut off all entry points to the boat if you're letting it sit in the water over night. 

I'm sure I can think of more, but those are my first thoughts at the moment. 

Good luck, keep us posted!!! 

Josh B.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

You will enjoy her.   My 18 is the best all around boat I've ever had.  It fishes so much bigger than it is, and the wide, walk around gunnels make it even bigger.   People will laugh, but you really ought to throw a poling platform on it.  I do pole it around in the summertime, but the rest of the year, that real estate is the most popular part of my boat and makes it even bigger.   One kid on the platform, me on the bow, and another one or two in between, depending on what we're fishing.   Not to mention that it makes a great picnic table, bait table, spoiler, and works great under TM power!

70216462008__A206D84D-9C8E-4D80-BF10-BF8345F6F74D.fullsizerender.jpeg

• Like 1

Another day of grinding out the port side of the boat. Few more hours of grinding and I’ll be ready to install the port side stringers. 

Need to build a table for layup.

Also trying to secure the hull before this storm hits. Predicting 30-40knt winds. Any recommendations on the best way to secure? I’m thinking about driving rebar into the ground on each side of the boat and throwing ratchets over the hull. Another option I thought about is putting a few hundred pounds of sandbags.

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

• Like 2