1999 Maverick 21 Master Angler Rebuild

MA21

• 3 weeks later...

After many Home Depot trips for grinder discs, acetone, miscellaneous other supplies there’s been progress. Did my first lay up of glass on half the floor. Just a little bit left to grind on the transom before I can tie the floor into the transom for extra support. Even though the actual hull of the boat is strong I figured I would lay 1 layer of glass over the floor. And 2 layers of glass over the transom, especially because a 250 proxs will be going on the back. Coosa board stringers coming soon.

if anyone has any specific questions about the process or advice feel free to ask. 

Things are starting to move quicker and the process isn’t terribly hard. Just long nights and labor intensive.

• Like 2

I’d get the aluminum tank and apply cold tar epoxy myself.  I also wouldn’t completely foam the tank in.  Moisture is the death of tanks and foam will hold moisture.  I’d glass coosa pucks to the bottom of the hull to keep the tank off the bottom and allow air to get underneath and allow draining and if you have them weld tabs to the tank you can secure the tank to the stringers so you don’t have to use foam.  

• Like 2

I have a poly tank in my 2000 MA.  I had it checked out when I did my restoration and all the shops agreed that they basically last forever.   Thats the good news.  

The bad news is that they stink.  Eventually the fuel permeates the plastic and your hatches and everything in them smells like gas.  

If a tar or epoxy coated tank will last a long time, I would go that route, though the durability of my poly tank is really impressive. 

• Like 2

Haven’t liked this design from maverick/pathfinder since I’ve owned the boat. As all of them do my bottom grate fell off the bottom side of the hull and this is where the original signs of cracking began. It looks like grid 90 core or grid coosa installed on the inside of the hull.

Thinking of ways of making this stronger or eliminating it all together. 

I don’t like the design because I’ve always had problems with livewell pumps since I’ve owned it. I feel it also creates a weak point on the hull.

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

14 hours ago, MA21 said:

Thinking of ways of making this stronger or eliminating it all together.

Are you planning to re-gel or paint the hull bottom as well?  If so, and if I was in your shoes, I would remove it, cap it off flush and repair, and extend the stringer support across it for strength - all the way to the transom with a knee support.  Just sayin' - you're "in there" anyway - may as well do the glass work while it's opened up.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 4:10 PM, whichwaysup said:

The bad news is that they stink.  Eventually the fuel permeates the plastic and your hatches and everything in them smells like gas.

Would there be less problems if only non-ethanol pure gas was put in the tank?  Reason I ask is because I read that ethanol degrades polyester-resin fiberglass fuel tanks and non-ethanol pure gas does not - or at least does less harm.

1 hour ago, George Seither said:

Poly tank in my last boat ( Stratos SP2100) and ran ethanol fuel 97 till 2016, leaks no gas odder in bilge that's a big yes

Just so I'm clear - you put E10 fuel in a poly tank for 19 years, and had no leaks and no gas fume smell in the bilge during that time?  If so - impressive!