1999 Maverick 21 Master Angler Rebuild

MA21

Made a template for where the fuel tank is going to sit on. Used the template to cut the coosa to perfectly fit. 

once both sides of this piece of coosa are glassed I will have to 45 the sides so it sits shallower in the hull. There is not much room for error here. If the fuel tank sits too high the deck cap will never go back on. 

I also created a template for the front bulk head and cut that out. This picture shows a reference of what it will sort of look like. (Bulk head and fuel tank coosa not in exact spot) this helped as a reference to see what I need to do next.

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.96463a31cbd1e4e85d4f7279ac8ab9b6.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1741.thumb.jpeg.23b1050627607c72b33e9ccac5e722c4.jpeg

prepped and ready for the center hull to get a layer of glass. Starboard stringer is also prepped and ready to be fully installed. 

Big progress taking place. Thank you to those who are still following. More updates to come this weekend!

On 1/14/2024 at 11:06 PM, Blackbayourestoration said:

Im also rebuilding a 99 21 MA. How'd you measure your stringers? Mine were cut out prior to me buying the boat. 

I measured off the old ones for length and height. If you need me to I can measure mine out for you to give you an idea

@whichwaysup I don’t think so. I’ve talked to a few friends who are boat builders and they recommended to keep it raw aluminum. From what they have told me it’s mostly about how the tank is mounted (you want air around the entire tank) that way it can’t hold moisture and start pitting on the outside

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MA21 said:

(you want air around the entire tank) that way it can’t hold moisture and start pitting on the outside

Your boat builder buddies are 100% right.  Trapped water and saturated foam is what kills aluminum tanks.  Would be nice if cookie cutter boat companies understood that.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MA21 said:

I don’t think so. I’ve talked to a few friends who are boat builders and they recommended to keep it raw aluminum. From what they have told me it’s mostly about how the tank is mounted (you want air around the entire tank) that way it can’t hold moisture and start pitting on the outside

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

• Like 1

Just for point of reference this is the tank out of my 1992 Master Angler. Aluminum in the buff no foam. There is some pitting but after 30 plus years I was impressed with the condition. 
 Sorry for interrupting  your build thread with my picture. 

IMG_7104.jpeg

71788484177__3EC814A4-2C96-46E3-AAD1-BBA5F2BA07DE.jpeg

IMG_7081.jpeg

@HoneyB no problem at all thank you for chiming in! It’s amazing how long tanks last when installed correctly. 

One detail I found amazing about the master angler is that the drain in every hatch never hits the bilge. Instead they pipes it to drain out the trim tabs. This part maverick got dialed in.

Starboard stringer fully glassed in. Center floor between stringers got a fresh layer of glass.

Fuel tank floor, bulkhead, transom shelf got their first layer of glass. Will flip those over tomorrow and apply another layer of glass. Then it’s time to start installing.

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_1751.jpeg

IMG_1750.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And the custom aluminum brackets are made. They are currently just set between the stringer but not in the correct spot. They will be thru-bolted to each stringer and act as a support for the deck cap floor. Also as I mentioned above ever tower bolt will be into aluminum

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

• Like 3

Got the hull on a trailer and deck cap is sitting on jack stands lifted above another trailer. Deck cap is sanded and ready to be shot with new non skid. Also filling in the push pole mounting brackets, rod holder holes, etc. 

IMG_2219.thumb.jpeg.f96a767088604ac2544f480b0e8ede2d.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

• Like 1